[E-rundbrief] Info 2008 - Gensuyikuo protest - 75th anniversary Trinity Nuclear Test

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Jul 23 12:19:27 CEST 2020

E-Rundbrief Info 2008 - Japan Council against A and H Bombs/
Gensuyikuo (J): Statement in protest against President Trump’s Message
on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Trinity Nuclear Test.

Bad Ischl, 23.7.2020

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

The Japan Council against A and H Bombs (Gensuikyo) issued the
following statement in protest against President Trump’s Message on
the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Trinity Nuclear Test.

Statement:

President Trump’s Message on the Occasion of the 75th Anniversary of
the Trinity Nuclear Test Shows No Sign of Remorse and Blatantly Declaring
Further Nuclear Arms Buildup

July 17, 2020

YASUI Masakazu, Secretary General

Japan Council against A and H Bombs (Gensuikyo)

On July 16, U.S. President Trump released a Presidential Message on
the 75th Anniversary of the Trinity Nuclear Test held in New Mexico.

Referring to the Manhattan Project which produced the atomic bombs,
the Message says that it “helped end World War II and launch an
unprecedented era of global stability” and “Our nuclear deterrent has
also greatly benefitted our Nation and our allies”. This is a
laudatory statement trying to justify the current nuclear buildup and
modernization program promoted by the Trump Administration.

We strongly protest against his attempt to justify the production of
the atomic bombs, rather than shifting to the elimination of nuclear
weapons in the 75th year of the atomic bombing, which blatantly
betrays the aspiration of the Hibakusha and challenges the world
public opinion in support of the elimination of nuclear weapons.

The atomic bomb attack was made on Hiroshima and Nagasaki when both
Germany and Italy had surrendered and Japan had lost its war potential
completely though it had yet to make a decision to surrender. It was
the attack against undefended cities, where most of the victims were
non-combatants. It was an unprecedented scale of mass destruction,
which cannot be justified even in the light of international law in
those days.

Furthermore, President Trump’s pretense that the development and use
of atomic bombs have brought global stability or economic prosperity
is too crazy to deal with. In the wake of the tragedy of Hiroshima and
Nagasaki, the massive nuclear arms race between the U.S. and Soviet
Union started, which divided the world and brought humanity to the
brink of annihilation. It was triggered by the production and use of
nuclear weapons by none other than the United States.

We cannot overemphasize the fact that current U.S. nuclear build-up
and modernization poses grave danger not only to the safety of
humanity but of the citizens of the U.S. and its allies.

Under the direction of President Trump, the U.S. has abandoned some
existing treaties for nuclear arms control and is now stepping out for
a new nuclear arms race with Russia.

However, the deepening crisis over COVID-19, by which the U.S. people
have suffered the greatest sacrifice, shows that what is most needed
now is global cooperation and efforts for peace based on the U.N.
Charter, disarmament and elimination of nuclear weapons, not inciting
further confrontation or division.

In the present world, whether over the question of nuclear weapons
prohibition, climate change, pandemic, poverty and social gap or
gender equality, overwhelming majority of countries are working hand
in hand with the civil society in creating a major trend toward
solving these problems, focusing on the “human security”.

We strongly call on the United States to reflect on its own history of
having caused the crisis of annihilation of humankind, and change its
course towards prohibition and elimination of nuclear weapons and
achieving a peaceful and just world.

Japan Council against A and H Bombs (Gensuikyo)
Tel: +81-3-5842-6034   Fax: +81-3-5842-6033  Email:
antiatom at topaz.plala.or.jp

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit