[E-rundbrief] Info 1796 - Bolsonaro - Disaster for the Brazilian Amazon

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Nov 1 08:59:28 CET 2018

E-Rundbrief Info 1796 - Christian Poirier (Amazon Watch): Why Jair
Bolsonaro's Presidency Threatens Disaster for the Brazilian Amazon.

Bad Ischl, 1.11.2018

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Why Jair Bolsonaro's Presidency Threatens Disaster for the Brazilian
Amazon

Amazon Watch

(Links siehe:
https://amazonwatch.org/news/2018/1031-why-jair-bolsonaros-presidency-threatens-disaster-for-the-brazilian-amazon...)

     October 31, 2018

     Christian Poirier

The extreme right-wing candidate Jair Bolsonaro was elected Brazil's
president on Sunday in a victory that hands him a powerful mandate to
enact a series of sweeping changes to the country's political,
economic, social, and environmental order. His victory represents a
profound setback for human rights and ecological preservation in the
world's fourth largest democracy, with implications for the entire
planet, particularly global climate stability.

President-elect Bolsonaro's reckless plans to industrialize the Amazon
in concert with Brazilian and international agribusiness and mining
interests would bring untold destruction to the planet's largest
rainforest and the communities who call it home. Bolsonaro campaigned
on proposals to drastically curtail the enforcement of Brazil's
protections upon forests and recognition of human rights standards
such as indigenous land rights. If realized, these rollbacks would
have far-reaching implications for the climate and the treatment of
Brazil’s minority groups.

Bolsonaro didn't even need be elected to endanger the Amazon: a
so-called "Bolsonaro effect" increased Amazon deforestation by 36%
during the electoral period, according to official statistics.

"Bolsonaro has made clear and consistent declarations about ending the
titling of indigenous lands, which are completely opposed to our
rights. His racist, homophobic, misogynist, fascist discourse shows
how Brazilian politics will be in the coming years," declared Dinamã
Tuxá, Coordinator of Brazil's Association of Indigenous Peoples (APIB).

"Our fear is that this situation will worsen. He foments hatred and
violence against indigenous peoples with a discourse claiming that we
are an obstacle to development, ignoring our contributions to
environmental balance. We know our titled territories help to
stabilize the climate and that our preservation of these ecosystems
offers collective benefits."

Dinamã's fears of violence have proven prescient. In the days
surrounding Sunday's election, a wave of violence led by pro-Bolsonaro
forces gripped indigenous territories, providing a grim signal of the
upheaval that is to come. In Mato Grosso do Sul (MS) State, a militia
burned a Guaraní-Kaiowá village to the ground, wounding fifteen people
including a nine-year-old child. In Pernambuco State, a school and
health clinic belonging to the Pankaruru people were destroyed. Also
in MS, gunmen attacked an encampment of Brazil's Landless Workers
Movement, setting fire to a home.

"The barbarism has begun," the Pankaruru people said a statement.
Brazilian journalist Ricardo Kotscho agreed with the Pankaruru's
assessment, writing, "There are still two months before Jair Bolsonaro
[assumes the presidency], but we can already get an idea of what lies
in store for the four years of his mandate."

Bolsonaro has clearly signaled that his administration's policies will
be tailored to the needs of the agribusiness and mining sectors, which
are vying to expand their operations into the Brazilian Amazon's
protected areas and consolidate control in other regions. This week's
reaffirmation that his government will dissolve the Environmental
Ministry into the Ministry of Agriculture further demonstrates how
environmental stewardship will be scorned under a Bolsonaro regime.
Meanwhile, Bolsonaro's rhetoric indicates that his government will
reward and empower some of Brazil's most conservative and virulently
anti-indigenous ruralista leaders with high government posts.

Furthermore, his proposals to ease firearm possession will serve the
interests of large landowners and empower land grabbers and rural
mafias, who will increasingly operate with impunity. As a result,
spiking violence will fall disproportionately on environmental and
human rights defenders, whose existence is already under serious threat.

"We are very worried," Alessandra Korap Munduruku, Coordinator of the
Munduruku people's Pariri Association, told us. "We Munduruku people
need our land to be titled. When the president says he will not title
one centimeter of indigenous land, it hurts those of us who have long
fought to defend our territories from the invasion of loggers and
miners. When he talks of ending the ability of [environmental
enforcement agency] IBAMA to issue fines and prohibits federal police
from accompanying their inspection actions we suffer and are scared,
even to leave our homes."
Social movements vow resistance

Responding to the news, Brazil's resilient and diverse social
movements are mounting resistance to the president's regressive
agenda. Prior to the election, thousands of organizations swiftly
united to repudiate his assertion that he "will put an end to all
activism in Brazil," while the National Indigenous Movement issued a
statement "In Defense of Democracy and Our Rights."

"The destructive agenda announced by Jair Bolsonaro is highly
aggressive to all those who struggle for justice, especially for the
most vulnerable population," said Sônia Guajajara, former Coordinator
of Brazil's Association of Indigenous Peoples (APIB) and
vice-presidential candidate for the PSOL party. "We indigenous people
have resisted for 518 years to overcome the colonial structure and we
will continue resolute in our fight for our right to exist as original
peoples. Our work to demarcate our territories will continue to be
urgent and we will not desist. This is our struggle!"

Dinamã agreed, stating, "We will resist his hate by protesting in the
streets and by filing lawsuits, despite the fact that the courts have
unfortunately not fulfilled their duty to uphold our constitutional
rights. We will fight as we have for the last 518 years, waging
resistance to guarantee our existence."

"For us indigenous peoples this election represents a continuity of
our struggle, and it encourages us to do what we have always done in
defense of democracy and our rights. Today, these rights appear more
threatened in every space, from our villages to the cities to our
institutions," affirmed Luiz Eloy Terena, lawyer for APIB.

In this spirit, Amazon Watch will redouble its work in solidarity with
our embattled partners – from remote communities in the Brazilian
Amazon to the country's national organizations – to push back against
Jair Bolsonaro's retrograde and destructive agenda.

Share & Comment

https://amazonwatch.org/news/2018/1031-why-jair-bolsonaros-presidency-threatens-disaster-for-the-brazilian-amazon?utm_source=Amazon+Watch+Newsletter+and+Updates&utm_campaign=1c1b8b24a4-2018-10-31-br-jb&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e6f929728b-1c1b8b24a4-340472777&mc_cid=1c1b8b24a4&mc_eid=f7b2e749f5

Siehe auch: E-Rundbrief Info 1794 - Attac(D) und weitere Netzwerke:
Attac bekräftigt Solidarität mit sozialen Bewegungen in Brasilien.
Alptraum Bolsonaro: Rechte Politiker weltweit schüren Abstiegsängste
und Konkurrenz unter sozial Schwachen.

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit