[E-rundbrief] Info 1906 - TNI The Business of Building Walls.

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Fr Nov 8 17:44:59 CET 2019

E-Rundbrief Info 1906: Transnational Institute/ TNI: The Business of
Building Walls.

Bad Ischl,8.11.2019

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Dear reader,

The Berlin Wall fell in November, 1989, thirty years ago this month.
Many celebrated the dawn of a new era of unity, openness and the
beginning of a new world. But today, after three decades, we see a new
rise of walls far more expansive than even the Berlin Wall. Since the
1990s, European countries have built more than 1000 km of impenetrable
border walls.

TNI has put out multiple publications on walls and borders (
https://www.tni.org/en/topic/border-wars ), and to mark this
anniversary, we are launching a report that explores the business of
building walls, which has both fuelled and benefited from a massive
expansion of public spending on border security by the European Union
(EU) and its member states. We also launch the first episode of a
special State of Power podcast series: Border Wars: Putting the
“migration crisis” in perspective:
https://www.tni.org/en/state-of-power-podcast.

The Business of Building Walls

Thirty years after the fall of the Berlin Wall, Europe is once again
known for its border walls. This time, Europe is divided not so much
by ideology as by perceived fear of refugees and migrants, some of the
world’s most vulnerable people.

This report explores the business of building walls, which has both
fuelled and benefited from a massive expansion of public spending on
border security by the European Union (EU) and its member states. Some
of the corporate beneficiaries are also global players, tapping into a
global market for border security estimated to be worth approximately
€17.5 billion in 2018, with annual growth of at least 8% expected in
coming years. https://www.tni.org/en/state-of-power-podcast

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit