[E-rundbrief] Info 1900 - Peoples' Food Sovereignty, against Transnational corporations

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mo Okt 14 15:22:13 CEST 2019

E-Rundbrief Info 1900 -  La Via Campesina: La Via Campesina and its
allies around the world celebrate the International Day of Action for
Peoples' Food Sovereignty and against Transnational corporations on 16
October each year.

Bad Ischl, 14.10.2019

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Harare: October 11, 2019: La Via Campesina and its allies around the
world celebrate the International Day of Action for Peoples' Food
Sovereignty and against Transnational corporations on 16 October each
year.

La Via Campesina and its allies around the world celebrate the
International Day of Action for Peoples' Food Sovereignty and against
Transnational corporations on 16 October each year.

We celebrate this day to remind people that it is only possible to end
hunger in the world with food sovereignty and peasant agroecology. The
current economic and agricultural policies only perpetuate the food
crisis and the destruction of biodiversity, promoting agribusiness and
expelling peasants from their territories. The direct result of these
policies is land grabbing and seed control by a handful of
multinationals, which flood international markets with uniform, toxic
and nutritionally poor food products while increasing poverty in rural
areas.

Food sovereignty allows the peoples of the world to design their own
agri-food policies, by promoting the production and distribution of
peasant products to local markets, according to the demands and needs
of the populations, while respecting the environment and the rights of
peasants and consumers.

We celebrate this day as global climate change intensifies and
manifests itself more and more, hunger has been on the rise since 2018
affecting hundreds of millions of people, especially in rural areas.

The perpetrators of this crisis, we call multinational corporations,
convert suffering and human lives into money and drive rural
populations to despair. The world is seeing the violations of human
and peasant rights that these companies commit: dispossession of land,
contamination of water, looting of resources and land, poisoning of
food with agrotoxics, and even the murder of peasant and indigenous
activists and leaders. We have seen them burn Amazonia and forests in
Africa. We have seen how a private court overturned the Ecuadorian
court's decision against the oil giant Chevron, responsible for an
environmental disaster in the country's Amazon region, and then the
IMF just imposed an austerity policy on the Ecuadorian people.

We, peasants, men and women, indigenous peoples, rural populations,
agricultural workers, in urban and rural areas, have long been
claiming that we have the solution. Food sovereignty is able to cool
the planet and bring relief to the climate crisis. Peasant agroecology
is able to end famines, feed urban and rural inhabitants with healthy
food, feed the soil with organic matter and preserve biodiversity.

The international peasant movement has fought for almost two decades
for the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Peasants and
Others Working in Rural Areas since full respect for peasants' rights
eliminates the conditions that allow the exploitation, repression and
displacement of hundreds of millions of peasants and rural populations
and saves them from poverty.
Major mobilizations of social movements and citizens are also taking
place all over the world in October.

We join all initiatives against the power of multinationals and for
the food sovereignty of peoples. We will be in Geneva in the process
of the United Nations Binding Treaty on Multinationals and Human
Rights to demand the rights of peoples and an end to impunity for
multinationals. We will be in Rome to propose our solutions to the
Committee on Food Security. We will also be in Palestine, at the
International Conference for Food Sovereignty.  We will be everywhere
with young people mobilised against climate change. We will say
everywhere that agroecology and food sovereignty are the way not only
to solve these crises, but also the way to prosperity in cities and
the countryside.

ACT NOW!

This October 16, we call for action by organised social movements,
unions, universities, the media and people's governments that
prioritise their peoples. We call for increased pressure to enforce
farmers' rights and for public policies based on food sovereignty and
not on the interests of the global market and agribusiness. There can
be no food sovereignty without respect for peasant rights. There can
be no food sovereignty without agrarian reform and social justice,
organise actions in the territories, denunciation mobilisations,
forums, seminars, farmers' fairs, film screenings,  all expressions
are important to demand the implementation of peasant rights through
land reform and social justice.

Send us all the actions planned for this day to our address
lvcweb at viacampesina.org, we want to make them visible on our global
action map. Also send us articles, audio, photos and videos of all the
actions to be published on our website and on ViaCampesinaTV.

Follow us on our social networks:

#FoodSovereignty, #PeasantsRightsNow, #LaViaCampesina

Let us globalize the struggle, let us globalize hope

We feed our peoples and build the movement to change the world!

Via-info-en at viacampesina.org
http://viacampesina.org/Via-info-en/
To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to
Via-info-en-unsubscribe at viacampesina.org.

Via-info-en at viacampesina.org
http://viacampesina.org/Via-info-en/
To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to
Via-info-en-unsubscribe at viacampesina.org.
--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit