[E-rundbrief] Info 2141 - World without Nuclear Weapons NPT Review Conference

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Sa Dez 11 18:17:09 CET 2021

E-Rundbrief Info 2141 - Japan Council against A and H Bombs
(Gensuikyo): On the Occasion of the 10th NPT Review Conference: We
Propose Global Action Demanding Fulfillment of the Past Promises to
Achieve a “World without Nuclear Weapons”

Bad Ischl, 11.12.2021

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

On the Occasion of the 10th NPT Review Conference:

We Propose Global Action Demanding Fulfillment of the Past Promises to
Achieve a “World without Nuclear Weapons”

Japan Council against A and H Bombs (Gensuikyo)

December 10, 2021

Dear friends,

The 2020 NPT Review Conference, which has been postponed due to the
coronavirus pandemic, will be held at the UN headquarters in New York
on January 4-28, 2022.

Based on the UN Charter that makes it a rule to refrain from threat or
use of force in international relations and warns against the
diversion of resources to armaments, the NPT obligates
non-proliferation for the non-nuclear weapon states and a halt to
nuclear arms race and negotiations of nuclear disarmament for the
nuclear weapon states.

In spite of strong resistance, the 2000 NPT Review Conference agreed
by consensus, including the five nuclear weapons states, on their
“unequivocal undertaking” to "accomplish the total elimination of
their nuclear arsenals"; and in 2010, to “achieve the peace and
security of a world without nuclear weapons” was agreed, and all state
parties accepted the pledge to make "special efforts" to establish a
"framework" for this purpose. It is also a repeatedly confirmed goal
to establish a nuclear-weapon-free zone in the Middle East with the
participation of all parties concerned, the region where tension and
conflicts continue.

The success of the Conference will depend on whether or not all state
parties, and the US, Russia, UK, France and China, will reaffirm the
agreements on the elimination of nuclear weapons already reached in
the past Review Conferences and fulfill them without any further delay.

The biggest impediment in the implementation of the treaty lies in the
resistance of the nuclear weapon states and their allies that accept
and rely on their nuclear arms, particularly on the US’s. While
playing words of “elimination of nuclear weapons”, they do not even
reduce nuclear weapons but continue development, buildup and
deployment of them under the name of “modernization”, insisting that
their nukes are “essential” for security of them and their allies.

In the US-led NATO member states, even the joint management and
operation is conducted in the name of "nuclear sharing", violating
Article 2 of the NPT.

However, the world is drastically changing.

Against the backdrop of rising world public opinion, the UN held a
negotiation conference in the first half of 2017 on measures to
achieve the elimination of nuclear weapons and adopted the Treaty on
the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW) by the large majority of 122
to 1; the Treaty entered into force in January 2021 with the
ratification of more than 50 countries. In the UN General Assembly,
support for the resolution of the TPNW reached 128 countries.

We very much support and welcome the change and development of world
public opinion. The opinion polls in many countries conducted after
the adoption of the TPNW show that more than 70% - 80% of the public
opinion want the accession of their countries to the Treaty. There are
even a number of cases where, encouraged by the public support,
opposition parties came to agree to put forward a policy to take part
as observers in the first Meeting of State Parties to the TPNW in
coming March in Vienna, with the view to their governments’ accession
to the treaty. In Norway and Germany, a new coalition government
emerged in such development.

Nuclear weapons pave the road to annihilation, and not serve
"security" or "peace". Continuing to rely on nuclear weapons goes
against both the letter and spirit of the UN Charter, the UN General
Assembly's first resolution for the elimination of nuclear arsenals,
and all agreements of the past NPT conferences, pledging to achieve a
world free of nuclear weapons. Nuclear weapons should be banned and
abolished with no further delay.

Dear friends,

We will launch an action campaign for the period from January 4 to 28,
2022 for the Elimination of Nuclear Weapons, and organize nationwide
actions across Japan, calling for the confirmation and implementation
of the agreements to abolish nuclear weapons and achieve a world
without nuclear weapons. This will be the action to take place in
solidarity with all governments and civil society representatives that
will stand for the same goal at the NPT Review Conference. We will
send voices of the majority of the people, sovereign of nations to the
international community, including the governments that oppose the ban
and abolition of nuclear weapons.

On January 4, the first day of the Review Conference, and again on
January 22, the first anniversary of the entry into force of the TPNW,
we, together with the Hibakusha, will take to the streets in all major
cities to resonate the desire of the Japanese people for the
elimination of nuclear weapons and Japan’s accession to the TPNW by
exhibiting the photo panels of Hiroshima and Nagasaki A-bombing and
collecting signatures for the abolition of nuclear weapons throughout
Japan.

In the same period we will also take action to convey the people’s
demand to the governments of nuclear powers and Japan and urge them to
fulfill their responsibilities. We hope that you will plan your action
in your countries in solidarity with us. We would appreciate receiving
your action plans, which would be a great encouragement for us.

Japan Council against A and H Bombs (Gensuikyo)

2-4-4 Yushima, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8464 Japan  E-mail:
antiatom at topaz.plala.or.jp

Tel: 81-3-5842-6034 Fax: 81-3-5842-6033  Web Site: http://www.antiatom.org

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit