[E-rundbrief] Info 2090 - Native protesters in South Dakota prosecuted

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
So Mai 2 17:10:03 CEST 2021

E-Rundbrief Info 2090 - Native protesters in South Dakota prosecuted

Bad Ischl, 2.5.2021

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

! Wichtige Ergänzung zum E-Rundbrief vom 21.4.2021!-

richtig:

E-Rundbrief Info 2089 - 172. Rundbrief 4/2021.

Native protesters still being prosecuted in South Dakota

Jasilyn Charger

Lakota People's Law Project

30.4.2021

Dear...,

I’m writing to thank you for supporting us water protectors here in
the Dakotas, and to update you about my court case at Cheyenne River
Tribal Nation near Standing Rock. Last year, construction of the
Keystone XL pipeline was in full swing through my homelands. So my
allies and I created a protest camp, similar to the one everyone knows
about at Standing Rock four years ago (only smaller). Two days before
Thanksgiving last year, I chained myself to an oil pump station and
got arrested for trespassing. I’m facing up to a year in prison and I
will be going to trial soon.

We won our fight against KXL — Biden has shut the pipeline down — but
my allies and I are still facing potential prison time for our civil
disobedience. Please pray for us, as we continue to face down the Oil
Industrial Complex allied with law enforcement, and decipher the best
path forward to serve Unci Maka, Grandmother Earth.

Jasilyn Charger
Please watch this new video that explains my court case.
https://lakotalaw.org/resources/jasilyn-update-april-2021...

Climate change has become a dominant topic of conversation in recent
weeks because of Biden’s strong pivot away from Trump’s denialism.
Even more is needed. As the ice caps melt and coastlines face
dangerous flooding, Indigenous people all over the world are leading
the fight for eco-sanity. Some are in Minnesota resisting Line 3,
while many of us are still pushing the White House to shut down the
Dakota Access Pipeline at Standing Rock.

Last month, I traveled with other Indigenous young people to D.C. to
make our ongoing commitment to Standing Rock top of mind for
policymakers. As a 24-year-old Lakota woman, I look forward to many
more years of movement building. We cannot let up, not while our
waters, lands, and climate are endangered by fossil fuel extraction.
Renewables work. There is no excuse.

I will work with my attorneys at Lakota People’s Law Project to keep
you updated in the coming months. Thank you for keeping your attention
on Lakota country. Your solidarity is appreciated.
Wopila,

Jasilyn Charger via Lakota Law

Lakota People's Law Project
547 South 7th Street #149
Bismarck, ND 58504-5859

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit