[E-rundbrief] Info 2013 - International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
So Aug 9 17:37:27 CEST 2020

E-Rundbrief Info 2013 - Cultural Survival (USA): International Day of
the World's Indigenous Peoples. As Indigenous Peoples, We Are Resilient

Bad Ischl, 9.8.2020

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Cultural Survival:

International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples, 9.8.2020.

As Indigenous Peoples, We Are Resilient

https://mailchi.mp/culturalsurvival.org/wip2020?e=a8b5c6b083

Today, we celebrate the International Day of the World's Indigenous
Peoples and all Indigenous leaders who have been fighting for our
rights. Today, we remember the first meeting of the UN Working Group
on Indigenous Populations that took place in 1982 in Geneva,
Switzerland. Much progress has been made for Indigenous rights
protections in the international arena, but too many countries remain
behind in respecting, protecting, and fulfilling our rights. The
COVID-19 pandemic has further exacerbated the disparities that exist
between Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities.

Everyday I hear inspiring stories of the ways our communities are
mobilizing to protect our elders and those most vulnerable. How
communities, especially youth, are relearning and returning to our
traditional knowledge and practices to grow traditional foods and
medicine to feed their families and keep them healthy. It is the
passing down of this knowledge over generations, as well as our
relationships to all our living and nonliving, animate and inanimate
relatives, that have made us resilient. This knowledge carries
strength and wisdom, and can guide us on how to cope with today’s
greatest challenges and to dismantle colonial and racists structures.

Human rights and Indigenous Peoples’ rights need to be respected and
upheld today more than ever. We know change takes decades. Today, we
celebrate all those who put their lives on the line defending Mother
Earth from extraction. Today, we celebrate all the Indigenous
activists and leaders who have worked tirelessly to get rid of racist
mascots and other forms of dehumanization against Indigenous Peoples.
Today, we celebrate Indigenous journalists who defy oppressive State
governments to go on air on the radio and speak their languages to
share knowledge and inform their people. Today, we celebrate all those
who are fighting to reclaim their ancestral lands, uphold treaties,
and succeed like Indigenous Peoples in Oklahoma and  the Maya Ixil and
Chorti Peoples in Guatemala with their recent #LandBack wins.

Hain daa (Thank you) for your ongoing support and for joining us in
this journey to secure a future that respects and honors Indigenous
Peoples' inherent rights and dynamic cultures, deeply and richly
interwoven in lands, languages, spiritual traditions, and artistic
expression, rooted in self-determination and self-governance.

In solidarity and gratitude,

Galina Angarova (Buryat)
Executive Director

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit