[E-rundbrief] Info - 1767 - FreedomFlotilla to Gaza - participants arrested in Israel

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mi Aug 1 11:07:03 CEST 2018

E-Rundbrief-Info 1767 - FreedomFlotilla to Gaza - Israeli Occupation
Forces IOF Violently Boards and Attacks boat 'Al Awda' and
Participants in international waters - participants arrested in
Ashdod, Israel - international protests organized.

Bad Ischl, 1.8.2018

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

IOF Violently Boards and Attacks Al Awda and Participants

July 31, 2018 3490

https://jfp.freedomflotilla.org/news/iof-violently-boards-and-attacks-al-awda-and-participants

The statement made by the Israeli authorities that the Freedom
Flotilla Coalition’s Al Awda boat was intercepted, boarded and
redirected from Gaza, Palestine to Ashdod, Israel on 29 July without
incident is false. According to first hand evidence that we have been
given, the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) violently attacked our
Norwegian flagged boat ‘Al Awda’ (The Return) as she was in
international waters.

Prior to all of our electronic communications being cut to and from
our boat, at least four warships had appeared. Following some unlawful
radio directives to our captain and our insistence that we had a right
of innocent passage in international waters, armed, masked soldiers
boarded ‘Al Awda’ without permission. They assaulted several unarmed
participants by hitting them and using tasers as some of our
participants lawfully endeavoured to resist this attempted hijacking,
drawing upon two days of non-violence training in Palermo. Other
participants were also hit by soldiers in this anything but peaceful
exercise by the IOF, for what may have been a range of ‘reasons’.

Three of the many people that Israeli soldiers assaulted were: Captain
Herman Reksten, Mike Treen and Dr Swee Ang. All of these assaults,
including the hitting of an unarmed slightly built, 69 year old female
surgeon crosses a line which must be investigated and the criminals
must be held accountable. We continue to try and gain evidence and
will seek to ensure that justice prevails.

Two Israeli citizens (Yonatan Shapira and Zohar Chamberlain Regev) and
two international Al Jazeera journalists have been released, but 18 of
the participants have now spent their second night unlawfully detained
in Givon Prison, Israel. To protest Israel’s illegal actions and their
ongoing treatment, two participants have commenced a hunger strike.

We urge the Norwegian Government, along with the national governments
of all of those who were subjected to these multiple breaches of
international law to intervene and to demand the immediate,
unconditional release of Al Awda and everything that was on board,
including all of the participants and the medical aid that we were
carrying to MyCare in Gaza for distribution.

We demand that the IOF does not engage in any similarly  unlawful and
violent acts towards the yacht ‘Freedom’, the next of the Flotilla
boats as she commences her approach to Gaza, Palestine via
international waters.

#SOSjustfuture4Palestine

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit