[E-rundbrief] Info 1665 - Action Week Against the WTO and FTAs.

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mo Sep 11 09:33:20 CEST 2017

E-Rundbrief - Info 1665 - La Via Campesina: September 10, 2017, The
International Day of Action against WTO and FTAs, December 8th to 15th
2017, "Week of Action Against the WTO".

Bad Ischl, 11.9.2017

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

September 10, 2017, The International Day of Action against WTO and FTAs

Today, La Via Campesina is calling upon social movements and civil
society organisations of the world to mobilise and organise our
resistances against the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and Free Trade
Agreements (FTAs), build solidarity alliances and prepare for a
worldwide week of action in December, coinciding with the 11th
International Ministerial that is scheduled to take place in Argentina.

For the first time since its inception, the World Trade Organization
(WTO) is planning to meet in Latin America. From the 10th to the 13th
of December, Mauricio Macri's government will host the WTO's 11th
Ministerial Conference  in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Entrepreneurs,
ministers, chancellors, and even presidents will be there. To do what?
To demand more "freedom" for their companies, more "ease of doing
business" for exploiting workers, peasants, indigenous people, and
taking over land and territories. In other words, less "restrictions"
on transnational wastage.

Since its beginnings in 1995 as derivative of General Agreement on
Tariff and Trade (GATTs), the World Trade Organization has promoted
the most brutal form of capitalism, better known as trade
liberalization. At successive Ministerial Conferences, the WTO has set
out to globalize the liberalisation of national markets, promising
economic prosperity at the cost of sovereignty. In more or less the
same terms, by its "liberalization, deregulation and privatization",
which is called Package of Neoliberalism, WTO has encouraged the
multiplication of free trade agreements (FTAs) between countries and
regional blocs, etc. On this basis and by making use of governments
that have been co-opted, the world's largest transnational
corporations (TNCs) are seeking to undermine democracy and all of the
institutional instruments for defending the lives, the territories,
and the food and agricultural ecosystems of the world's peoples.

In the previous Ministerial Conference (MC) in Nairobi in 2015, WTO
had made six decisions on agriculture, cotton and issues related to
LDCs. The agricultural decisions cover commitment to abolish export
subsidies for farm exports, public stockholding for food security
purposes, a special safeguard mechanism for developing countries, and
measures related to cotton. Decisions were also made regarding
preferential treatment for least developed countries (LDCs) in the
area of services and the criteria for determining whether exports from
LDCs may benefit from trade preferences.

This year, with Macri Inc. in the Casa Rosada (Government House in
Argentina), the coup leader Michel Temer in the Palacio del Planalto
(the oficial workplace of the president of Brazil), and Brazilian
Roberto Azevedo as its Director General, the WTO wants  to return to
the subject of agriculture, to put an end to small-scale fishing, and
to make progress with multilateral agreements such as the misnamed
General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS). Notwithstanding the
misleading protectionist statements coming from Washington and London,
the WTO will meet again to try to impose the interests of capital at
the cost of Planet Earth, of the democratic aspirations of the world's
peoples, and of life itself.

During these 20+ years of struggle against the WTO, the world's
peoples have resisted its attempt to globalize everything, including
the food and agricultural systems, for the benefit of the TNCs. Our
struggles have been the biggest impediment to the advance of the WTO,
and there is no doubt that La Via Campesina has played a decisive
part. Our resistance to market liberalisation under this neoliberal
regime has continued since the Uruguay round conducted within the
framework of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT). Ever
since, La Via Campesina has  mobilised against almost all of the
Ministerial Conferences since Seattle (1999) and Cancún (2003) – where
our brother Lee Kyung Hae, holding a banner declaring that "The WTO
kills peasants", sacrificed his own life – and up to Bali (2013) and
Nairobi (2015).

This year, from the 8th to the 15th of December, a La Via Campesina
international delegation will be in Buenos Aires to take an active
part in the numerous civil society mobilisations, forums, and
discussions. We will be there to identify the WTO as the criminal
organisation that it is and to raise the flag of Food Sovereignty. We
will call out all the Governments, who after having realised the
weakening of WTO, have resorted to Bilateral and Regional Mega Free
Trade Agreements, that threaten to annihilate our food systems, just
like WTO has done it over the last two decades.

We are calling upon all of our member organisations – in each and
every country – to mobilise during this "Week of Action Against the
WTO" (from the 8th to the 15th of December); within their  social and
political contexts, they should find the right time and form the best
alliances in order to denounce the WTO and the numerous bilateral and
regional Free Trade Agreements.

We insist that agriculture should not be part of any of the WTO
negotiations!

We say once again:

NO TO WTO!

NO TO FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS!

FOR THE FOOD SOVEREIGNTY OF OUR PEOPLES!

GLOBALIZE THE STRUGGLE!

GLOBALIZE HOPE!

You can email the details of your solidarity actions to

lvcweb at viacampesina.org or tag us on our official Facebook or Twitter
pages

facebook.com/viacampesinaOfficial

Twitter: @via_campesina / @via_campesinaES / @viacampesinaFR

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"