[E-rundbrief] Info 1663 - Tulsi Gabbard, Sanders Institute (USA): DACA protect children immigrants

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
So Sep 10 11:37:19 CEST 2017

E-Rundbrief - Info 1663 - Tulsi Gabbard, Sanders Institute (USA): Our
Revolution. Obamas project to protect children immigrants (DREAMers)
stopped by Trump's policy and administration.

Bad Ischl, 10.9.2017

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Our Revolution

For so long, young people who came to this country as kids through no
choice of their own, have been forced to live in the shadows, too
afraid to come forward because they don't trust that our government
won't come after them. Even after DACA was put in place, so many were
too afraid to apply because if the program got taken away, the
government would know where they live and could go after them and
their families.

But 800,000 young people in this country took that leap of faith,
applied for DACA, and have relied on it to obtain an education, earn a
living, and establish themselves in our communities.

The current administration's decision on Tuesday to end DACA leaves
them feeling betrayed and afraid after they put their trust in our
government.

Last week on Maui, I sat down with some of Hawaii’s DREAMers and heard
their stories about living every day in fear of deportation until DACA
was put into effect. They shared their stories of the opportunity and
freedom they have experienced because of DACA, and the fear of
uncertainty that now lies before them, with the prospects of their
government targeting them and forcing them to leave the only home
they’ve ever known.

This is not a partisan issue. It's an issue that affects communities
all across this country. DACA’s termination is a call for Congress to
act now. We should take this opportunity to actually fix the problem
once and for all and provide a permanent solution for these DREAMers,
so they are not forced back into the shadows.

I have had many conversations with people about this issue. I have
spoken with those that support DACA, and those that do not support it.
However, the most important part of any conversation about immigration
and DACA is to be informed with the facts.

What is DACA?
DACA is a temporary program instituted by President Barack Obama that
defers immigration action and provides relief from deportation for
people who were brought into the United States as children and gives
them a work permit.

Who is eligible for DACA?
The people who apply for and receive DACA must meet a number of
requirements, including: they were under the age of 16 when they were
brought into the U.S., they have lived most of their lives here, they
are in school or have graduated or are an honorably discharged member
of the military, they have not been convicted of a felony, a
significant misdemeanor, or three or more misdemeanors.

How many people have DACA?

There are around 800,000 recipients of DACA right now in the U.S.

What can I do?

At the Sanders Institute, we believe that being informed, engaged, and
involved in the discussion about an issue and a policy like DACA are
the first crucial steps.

Visit the Sanders Institute to learn more about DACA, sanctuary
cities, and other immigration issues:
https://www.sandersinstitute.com/issues/immigration?source=em170909-full

Thank you for staying engaged,

Tulsi Gabbard
Sanders Institute Fellow

The Sanders Institute is a pending 501(c)(3) organization.

131 Church Street, Burlington, VT 05401

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"