[E-rundbrief] Info 1524 - Via Campesina Conference on Agrarian Reform

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Jun 2 10:36:46 CEST 2016

E-Rundbrief - Info 1524 - Via Campesina International: International
Conference on Agrarian Reform, Marabá, Pará, Brazil, 13. - 17.4.2016;
Declaration against the criminalisation, persecution and
judicialization of the struggle for the defence of life, rights, land,
water, seeds and mother earth

Bad Ischl, 2.6.2016

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Declaration against the criminalisation, persecution and
judicialization of the struggle for the defence of life, rights, land,
water, seeds and mother earth

Published on Wednesday, 01 June 2016 15:12

International Conference on Agrarian Reform

http://www.viacampesina.org/en/index.php/main-issues-mainmenu-27/human-rights-mainmenu-40/peasants-right-resources/2063-declaration-against-the-criminalisation-persecution-and-judicialization-of-the-struggle-for-the-defence-of-life-rights-land-water-seeds-and-mother-earth

Marabá, 15 April 2016

 From 13 to 17 April 2016, in Marabá, Pará, Brazil, more than 130
delegates from 28 countries around the world were brought together as
part of La Vía Campesina and allied movements, as part of the
International Conference on Agrarian Reform, a symbol of the fight for
freedom for men and women in the fields, the mangroves and on the sea.
The aim of the conference was to draw up a much-needed proposal for
Popular Agrarian Reform to override capitalist and neoliberal expansion.

At this time of struggle and resistance for peoples of the world, we
debated thecriminalisation, persecution and judicialization of the
struggle for the defence of life, rights, land, water, seeds and
mother earth, promoted by capitalist interests imposing political,
economic, military and social terrorism. This all occurs with the
consent of State Governments by means of their lethal projects such as
extraction-based infrastructure projects, or capitalist 'development'
(tourism, carbon markets, mining, hydroelectricity, monoculture,
agribusiness, industrial agriculture and mariculture), as well as the
militarisation of our lands. Deprivation, social instability and
repression are widespread as a result of systematic assassinations,
massacres, forced disappearances, high rates of femicide, imprisonment
and arbitrary detention, intimidation, harassment and threats,
prosecution of leaders, forced migration and wars against ordinary people.

On top of this there is political instability with the purpose of
maintaining an imbalance among populations over the world, as well as
frequent coups on the US government's radar, a state which begins by
creating unstable, failed states, as is the case in Honduras,
Guatemala, El Salvador, Paraguay, Ecuador, Bolivia, South Africa, and
the current attempted coup against the Brazilian people and the
systematic meddling in the Venezuelan process.

We see collusion between the State, private companies, corporations
and elites who create a culture of impunity that allows perpetrators
to escape unpunished.

Faced with this wave of unbridled criminalisation of those of us who
defend water, land, mangroves, sea, territory and life, we denounce
and call for the punishment of those responsible for thousands of
assassinations of social leaders, we denounce the legal prosecution of
thousands of campaigners, we call for the liberation of thousands of
political prisoners, we denounce the extreme case of the assassination
of Berta Cáceres, one of the most symbolic leaders in the fight
against capital plundering and a campaigner for peace in Honduras. We
urgently need an end to the criminalisation of the fight for land,
mangroves and sea, and the social struggle.

Today, more than ever, we reaffirm that our fight is part of the
defence of human rights and life. For life we give everything, for
death we give nothing.

Throughout our lifelong struggle, not one moment of silence for our dead!

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"