[E-rundbrief] Info 1001 - Sick of the warmakers

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Di Apr 5 22:43:21 CEST 2011

E-Rundbrief - Info 1001 - War Resisters' International: Sick and tired
of the warmakers! A statement by War Resisters' International on the
intervention in Libya.

Bad Ischl, 5.4.2011

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Sick and tired of the warmakers!

A statement by War Resisters' International on the intervention in Libya

War Resisters' International - an international network of more than
80 antimilitarist groups in more than 40 countries - declares:

We are sick and tired of military interventions that shield behind
false "humanitarian motives" - be that in Libya or elsewhere.

We are sick and tired of the logic of violence as a form of resolving
social and political conflicts.

Yet once again we have to address these themes as if nothing has been
learnt in the last hundred years.

We absolutely reject foreign military intervention in Libya, whatever
the excuse.

We also reject the use of violence as a response to the multiple
conflicts in Libya.

Above all, we reject the ethical and political lessons that the
intervening governments offer, justifying bombing and death in a war
against their erstwhile ally, Gaddafi.  The arms sold mainly by
European countries are now an object for destruction by some of these
same powers, while they send - or allow to be sent - more arms, this
time to factions opposed to Gaddafi.  The fact that this hypocrisy is
not new does not lessen our outrage each time it occurs.  They
supported Mubarak and his forces in Egypt, and Ben Ali in Tunisia, as
long as possible - only changing sides when it was no longer useful.

We reject too foreign military intervention in the processes of change
begun in North Africa, unfinished processes that certainly will
require more time so that the people can gain freedom and social
justice. We hope that the fall of dictatorships can mean an end to the
violations of the human, economic, social, and cultural rights of
persons and peoples, especially the hateful gender violence and
discrimination encouraged by the fallen regimes. The international
role should not be to shape the future for these countries, but rather
to offer support for the construction of a society that will respect
the desires and rights of the people. What we are seeing in Libya,
however, is that foreign military intervention is creating the base
for long-term armed conflict, sharpening divisions while strengthening
social militarisation and the use of violence.  In Libya what began as
a popular unarmed struggle against dictatorship has now become a civil
war which will culminate with international military intervention
installing in power one military faction in the manner of the
fraudulent "peace processes" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

WRI actively struggles, today as yesterday, to obstruct militarism, to
reject war and the causes of war.  The nonviolent actions that
generated change in Tunisia and Egypt point the way, still unfinished
but affirming the respect and life of persons and peoples. WRI
continues to support this way, concretely by supporting Egyptian
conscientious objector Maikel Nabil Sanad, detained for "insulting the
army and obstructing public security" (for opinions written in his
blog) by sending an international observer to his trial, and by
publishing in Arabic WRI's Handbook for Nonviolent Campaigns.

WRI Executive Committee,  April 2011

http://wri-irg.org/de/node/12632

-------------

Wir arbeiten seiten den 70er Jahren mit WRI - Internationale
Kriegsgegner - zusammen und unterstützen auch ihre Stellungnahme.
Ergänzend dazu habe ich weitere Gefahren und Folgen - u.a.
Umweltzerstörungen und langdauernde radioaktive Kontaminierungen -
zusammengefasst und erläutert. Siehe E-Rundbrief Info 1000.

Matthias Reichl, 5.4.2011

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"