[E-rundbrief] Info 209 - Vanunus verhinderte Knesset-Rede, 16.3.05

Matthias Reichl mareichl at ping.at
So Mär 20 16:15:15 CET 2005

E-Rundbrief - Info 209 - Mordechai Vanunu: Statement.Intended for the
Knesset Constitution, Law and Judiciary Committee, 16.3.2005. The
International Campaign to Free Mordechai Vanunu: Knesset Constitution, Law
and Judiciary Committee Cancels Debate of Vanunu's Restrictions. Prominent
International Delegation Calls on Israel to Cancel the Restrictions, Let
Vanunu Go Free

Bad Ischl, 20.3.2005

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Statement of Mordechai Vanunu
Intended for the Knesset Constitution, Law and Judiciary Committee

March 16, 2005

We are here today to discuss the question of the administrative
restrictions imposed upon me, and the international human rights issues at
stake.

A full year has passed since my release from prison last April. Although I
had served my entire 18-year sentence, 11 years of them in solitary
confinement, I was placed under special administrative restrictions which
prohibited me from leaving Israel and from communicating in any way with
foreigners on any subject. The time has come to decide whether to impose
these harsh restrictions for yet another year, or to give me at long last,
my full freedom. My friends today will address the questions of
international and domestic law; such as freedom of speech and the right to
travel. However, there are certain personal matters I would like to address
personally.

First, let me speak as a man who understands some nuclear science. If there
were ever to be a nuclear accident at Dimona, an enormous radioactive cloud
would be released into the atmosphere. All agricultural production within
Israel and the entire region would be severely damaged. The rate of cancer
and birth defects for both human beings and all animals would increase
drastically, with tragic results. Our water supply could become
contaminated, here in a land where we have no water to spare. Thousands
would die immediately, and tens of thousands more with time. Such an
accident could also trigger an explosion within Dimona of stored nuclear
waste, with even more horrific harm suffered by the people of this region.
Israel would never fully recover.

Were a nuclear weapon ever to be used by the Israeli government, we all of
course risk being bombed in return. Moreover, should any atomic weapon be
utilized anywhere in our region, even those used by our own Security
Forces, the nuclear cloud could reach us here as well. Depending on the
total number of bombs used millions of humans in this region could perish.

This was the devastation, the horror, which I hoped to prevent when I spoke
out eighteen years ago. I knew my revelations might well cost me my life,
and they did cost me a great deal of pain. But my motives, my goals, have
always been the same: the prevention of the use of nuclear weapons, and the
preservation of hundreds of thousands of human lives. This remains my life
work.

Eighteen years ago I believed, as I still believe today, that the people of
Israel, as well as the global community itself, have the right to know of
the existence of nuclear weapons. This is the only way they can insist upon
the appropriate development of the peace process here in the Middle East.
If there was ever an issue requiring openness and democratic debate, this
is it.

Similarly, the international community can only help broker the peace and
prevent a catastrophic war if the existence of such weapons are known and
properly monitored and controlled. The existence of nuclear weapons is a
matter of global concern, and cannot be considered only a local and private
matter. By way of example, look at the intensive world effort to curb the
development of nuclear weapons in Iran and Korea. This is as it should be.
When it comes to the risk of nuclear disaster, we must all see ourselves as
citizens of one world.

These are the reasons I spoke out eighteen years ago. I did not seek to
harm Israel, but rather to warn of an enormous danger. I do not seek to
harm Israel now. I want to work for world peace and the abolition of
nuclear weapons. I want the human race to survive.

I have no more secrets to tell and have not set foot in Dimona for more
than 18 years. I have been out of prison, although not free, for one year.
Despite the illegal restrictions on my speech, I have again and again
spoken out against the use of nuclear weapons anywhere and by any nation. I
have given away no sensitive secrets because I have none. I have not acted
against the interests of Israel nor do I wish to. I have been investigated
by the police again and again, and re-arrested twice, but they have found
nothing. I have done nothing but speak for peace and world safety from a
nuclear disaster.

It is time for Israel to develop into a true democracy and give the people
some real voice in our nation's policies, especially in matters which so
gravely affect our very survival. Already we must worry about the
earthquake fault line beneath Dimona, and the aging reactors themselves. It
is not enough for a few politicians to briefly visit the center and simply
declare it safe.

I invite the government and the people to open up this issue and enter into
a genuine democratic debate about the safety and peace issues involved.

In closing, I am asking the government to let me go. Let me start my
personal life over again in full freedom abroad. The time has come to
respect my rights and to leave this case in the past for good.

Intended for the Knesset Constitution, Law and Judiciary Committee, 16.3.2005.

Knesset Constitution, Law and Judiciary Committee Cancels Debate of
Vanunu's Restrictions
Prominent International Delegation Calls on Israel to Cancel the
Restrictions, Let Vanunu Go Free

The International Campaign to Free Mordechai Vanunu

The cancellation of a Knesset committee debate about the severe
restrictions on nuclear whistleblower Mordechai Vanunu's liberty and human
rights was roundly condemned today at a Jerusalem press conference.
Prominent international observers of the Vanunu case who had come to
address the Constitution, Law and Judiciary Committee also spoke out, and
called for Vanunu's full freedom.

Rayna Moss, an Israeli with the International Campaign to Free Vanunu,
explained that Knesset Member Issam Makhoul (Hadash) had requested weeks
ago that the Committee convene to discuss the grave situation regarding
Vanunu, which was agreed to by Committee Chairman Michael Eitan and
scheduled for March 16. Makhoul continues to push the Committee to convene
on this issue.

Moss said, "The cancellation means that one month before the restrictions
are renewed or cancelled, not one government official has voiced a
position. The attorney general has not addressed the issue. Security forces
have not made any public statement and the Israeli Parliament has refused
to take responsibility over this issue. This is coupled with a frivolous
statement by three Israeli politicians who spent two hours at the Dimona
reactor and announced that it was safe. Through both of these events the
Israeli government is treating the Israeli public as children who can be
told fairytales. Mordechai Vanunu is ultimately portrayed as the big bad
wolf who needs to be isolated from society or as the little boy who cries
the king has no clothes. We refuse to accept fairytales, we refuse to be
silenced, and we demand Vanunu's freedom."

Mordechai Vanunu spoke about the restrictions that forbid him from leaving
Israel and rebuilding his life, even though he served his complete 18 year
prison sentence and there are no new charges against him.

Vanunu said, "I have no more secrets to tell and have not set foot in
Dimona for more than 18 years. I have been out of prison, although not
free, for one year. Despite the illegal restrictions on my speech, I have
again and again spoken out against the use of nuclear weapons anywhere and
by any nation. I have given away no sensitive secrets because I have none.
I have not acted against the interests of Israel nor do I wish to. I have
been investigated by the police again and again, and re-arrested twice, but
they have found nothing. I have done nothing but speak for peace and world
safety from a nuclear disaster...

"I did not seek to harm Israel, but rather to warn of an enormous danger. I
do not seek to harm Israel now. I want to work for world peace and the
abolition of nuclear weapons. I want the human race to survive."

Vanunu also said, "I'd like to address world leaders here for the Holocaust
Museum ceremony. They have come to commemorate the Jewish holocaust which
took place 60 years ago but they must acknowledge that the threat of a
future holocaust is the nuclear holocaust."

Also speaking at the press conference were Daniel Ellsberg (U.S.A.), author
and former Pentagon employee who in 1971 leaked the Pentagon Papers;
attorney Jennifer Harbury (U.S.A.), author and director of the U.U.S.C.
STOP Torture Campaign; and attorney Fredrik S. Heffermehl (Norway), author
and Vice President of Lawyers Against Nuclear Arms.

The three had travelled to Israel from the United States and Norway on the
basis of the understanding that they would testify today at the hearing of
the Knesset Constitution, Law and Judiciary Committee, only to arrive in
Israel and learn that it had been cancelled.

Daniel Ellsberg explained that he and Vanunu were both the first people in
their countries to be prosecuted for giving secret information to the
press. He said, "Mordechai Vanunu has no secret information. He has one
huge secret which he revealed on April 21 last year - That after 18 years
of imprisonment and solitary confinement and mistreatment a person can
still come out sane, articulate, compassionate. This is the secret that no
regime wants its citizens to know." He added, "Mordechai is a prophet, and
the scriptures say that prophets are never appreciated in their own country."

In speaking of the need to lift the restrictions against Vanunu, Ellsberg
stated, "At the time of the American revolution, when we freed ourselves
from the British empire, we didn't retain any of their laws and
regulations. The time has come for the state of Israel to also free itself
from the State of Emergency regulations of the British Empire."

Citing several articles of the International Covenant on Civil and
Political Rights, U.S. human rights attorney Jennifer Harbury concluded
that "the restrictions that have been placed upon Mordechai Vanunu
represent extraordinary infringements of his rights".

Harbury stated, "For the last several years of his imprisonment, Mr. Vanunu
was permitted to mingle with other prisoners. In addition, he has now been
out of prison for nearly a year, and despite the restrictions, has
courageously spoken publicly again and again for nuclear abolition and
human rights. If he possessed any additional information, or if he wished
to harm Israel in any way, he has had numerous opportunities to do so. Yet
he has not. Time itself has proven the government claims of security risks
are frivolous. Keeping him here does not change the equation....

"By refusing to let Mr. Vanunu go in peace to start a new life after so
much suffering, Israel casts itself as both cruel and vindictive. He is not
safe here and the authorities have contributed to this problem by vilifying
him unjustly. Moreover, Israel does not come to this matter with clean
hands. Mr. Vanunu was illegally kidnapped, battered, drugged and then
subjected to extraordinary psychological torture for over 11 years. There
has been no justice for any of these wrongs. The time has come for the
government, too, to set its house straight by showing reason and balance here."

Fredrik Heffermehl said, "Avoiding discourse and discussion does not remove
the problems - openness and discussion can help us find ways out. That was
the idea behind Vanunu´s action. The time is ripe for the Israeli public to
consider why so many people all over the world consider Vanunu as the
leading Israeli in the worldwide political struggle against nuclear
extinction."

The restrictions that were imposed on Vanunu (prohibiting him from
traveling abroad, contacting foreign citizens and media, and controlling
his movement inside Israel) severely curtail his civil and human rights.
They are based on the 1945 State of Emergency Regulations, first introduced
in Mandatory Palestine by the British Mandate and since then they have been
continually renewed by the Israeli Parliament (Knesset). The State of
Emergency Regulations enable the State to penalize people without trial,
and can be renewed indefinitely. In July 2004 Israel's Supreme Court
rejected Vanunu's appeal of the restrictions.

The restrictions will next be reviewed on April 21, the one year
anniversary of Vanunu's release. At that time, an international delegation
organized by the International Campaign to Free Mordechai Vanunu will come
to Israel to call for lifting the restrictions and allowing Mordechai
Vanunu to leave Israel, as he wishes.

Contact information:

In Israel: Rayna Moss: Tel. 972-50 -7368236
email: legalese at netvision.net.il

In the USA: Felice Cohen-Joppa, Tel/Fax 520-323-8697
email: freevanunu at mindspring.com

In Britain: Ernest Rodker, Tel. +44-20-8672-9698
e-mail: campaign at vanunu.freeserve.co.uk

In Norway: Fredrik Heffermehl
Tel. +47-2244 8003 Fax: +47-2244 7616
email: fredpax at online.no

www.vanunu.com www.vanunu.co.uk www.vanunu.org

Felice Cohen-Joppa
Coordinato,r U.S. Campaign to Free Mordechai Vanunu
POB 43384 Tucson, AZ 85733
Phone/Fax 520-323-8697
freevanunu at mindspring.com
www.nonviolence.org/vanunu

Matthias Reichl

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

Wolfgangerstr.26

A-4820 Bad Ischl

Tel. +43-6132-24590

e-mail: mareichl at ping.at