[E-rundbrief] Info 1351 - John Perkins - “Free-Trade” - Death Economy

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Aug 21 10:54:08 CEST 2014

E-Rundbrief - Info 1351 - John Perkins (USA): “Free-Trade” - A Death
Economy Next Door.

Bad Ischl, 21.8.2014

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

“Free-Trade” - A Death Economy Next Door

By John Perkins

20.8.2014

www.johnperkins.org

I have just returned from Ecuador, having spent nearly three weeks
deep in the Amazon rainforests as one of the leaders of trips
sponsored by Dream Change and the Pachamama Alliance. In addition to
all the concerns in this country over the devastation caused by oil
and mining companies, I’ve heard a great deal about the crises in
Central America.

Central America is far from peaceful and prosperous; the problems
there are brought home to us in the very vividly in the faces of the
immigrant women and children who are being shipped around the States
and back home by the busload. Our share of the responsibility for
their plight cannot be ignored any longer. We have fueled and
empowered the corporatocracy for decades, and the resulting power
struggles and imbalances have destroyed local economies and caused
unimaginable loss of life.

The so-called “free-trade agreements” such as NAFTA and CAFTA were
forced on the countries of Central America by the US government and
the corporatocracy by people with the job I once had, economic hit
men. They were supposedly done to spur economic growth in Canada, the
US, and Central America. But the architects of these agreements knew
that the rich would benefit, and that the poor would get poorer. These
kinds of agreements between often-corrupt governments (including the
US’s) and corporations do not allow for tariffs and other barriers for
imports that protect local farmers and businessmen. Instead they allow
the to subsidize US interests. These interests include huge subsidies
to corn and cotton growers who then sell their products in Central
America for less than the farmers there can sell to their own
neighbors. This kind of imbalance has devastated lives and destroyed
Central American economies. These agreements exist to expand corporate
rights, at the expense of human rights.

Before we support policies that send busloads of children back to
their countries of origin, we must acknowledge our role in their
situation. The policies we have put in place have been carefully
crafted to benefit the already rich and powerful and to devastate
those who most need opportunity, security, and a future. When economic
policies were not enough to control a regime, the US and the
corporatocracy did not hesitate to use military might. Our history
bears witness to our repeated invasions of our neighbors: Cuba,
Nicaragua, Guatemala, Grenada, and Haiti for example, as well as the
overthrow of governments or assassination of leaders who dared to give
power back to the people and implement social changes. As described in
“Confessions of an Economic Hit Man” I was involved in such activities
in the country where I am now located, Ecuador, as well as many others.

Central America is home to indigenous cultures that value community
over individual profit, and in many villages the people have come
together to farm and harvest and produce what the whole village needs.
The “free-trade” agreements harm the ability of these organizations,
causing wide-spread poverty and, in turn, the large numbers of
immigrants crossing the US/Mexico border. These imbalances, along with
our draconian CIA policies toward the governments of Guatemala,
Honduras, and El Salvador, have caused the immigration problem we are
experiencing today. I talk to Central Americans all the time while
traveling in Latin America and also when at my home in the United
States in Spanish, and few of them really want to be here. They would
rather be back in their homelands, but their economies have totally
failed.

People are waking up to these problems. The revolution in
consciousness is helping people in the United States, and around the
world, wake up to the terrible injustices that US policies have
caused. Young people throughout Latin America are taking action
towards a better future, one that keeps their families together and
provides economic opportunity for the communities. When we see them
migrating to the US, we should hear their message. Our policies should
be to help them create a “Life Economy”; when we do this we also move
out of a “Death Economy” and create a “Life Economy” for ourselves.

Coming Up:

October 4-5, 2014
Speaking event and workshop in London, England
At Regents’ University Conference Centre, London
• Saturday, October 4th: Talk: “Sacred plants, Shapeshifting, and
Consciousness Revolution”
• Sunday, October 5th: Workshop: “Shapeshifting Yourself and the Planet”
Information: http://www.plantconsciousness.com

October 6, 2014:
Talk sponsored by Alternatives – “Confessions of an Economic Hitman”
Location: St. James’s Church, London
Registration: www.alternatives.org.uk

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"