[E-rundbrief] Info 1081 - Land grabbing endangers rural people

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mi Mär 14 18:21:15 CET 2012

E-Rundbrief - Info 1081 - La Via Campesina: Land grabbing shows the
urgent need to protect peasants' rights.

Bad Ischl, 14.3.2012

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Land   grabbing   shows   the   urgent   need   to   protect
peasants'   rights

(Geneva, 11 March 2012)

It's a red alert now.

The government of Saudi Arabia currently owns 1.6 million hectares
(ha) of land in Sudan and Indonesia. In Madagascar around 1.3 million
ha were leased, bought or transferred to private corporations of South
Korea.

The High Level Group of Experts of the Committee on World Food
Security (CFS) estimates that between 50 and 80 million ha of land in
poor and developing countries have been negotiated, acquired or leased
by international investors.

Large-scale land transactions are undermining food security,
livelihoods and the environment of local populations. Along with a
history-long discrimination against rural people, this wildly
spreading global phenomenon has been the reason why there have been so
many reports of human rights violations in rural areas recently,
especially with regards to land rights.

While the United Nations Human rights Council is planning to discuss a
declaration of the rights of peasants in the coming days, FIAN
International together with La Via Campesina has organised a parallel
event to the 19 th session of the UN Human Rights Council on Thursday
(8/3).

The event, entitled "Land Grabbing and the Urgent Need to Protect the
Rights of Peasants", is acting as a warm up event for the current
session of UN Human Rights Council. The objective is to lobby and
connect parties who are supportive to the peasants´ rights initiative.
State members, Advisory Committee members, as well as experts and NGOs
are invited to participate in the event.

" Land grabbing is clearly a gross violation of the rights of
peasants," said Jean Ziegler, former special rapporteur on the right
to food. "Most of these land grabs are not even for food production
but for agrofuels, which are destroying our land, society, environment
and our food sovereignty. ”

"We have to forbid land grabbing, if we want to protect our food
system," concluded Mr. Ziegler, currently a UN Human Rights Council
Advisory Committee member.

Henry Saraigh from La Via Campesina argued, " We have been saying this
for 11 years already; land grabbing is not a new phenomenon, however
it is getting worse. ”

"If t his trend continues, it will not only affect rural people in
Southern countries, but it will also affect Northern countries, as
land grabs will undermine the whole food system," the General
Coordinator of La Via Campesina emphasized.

Angelica Navarro, Ambassador of Bolivia to the United Nations has an
interesting perspective: "States have an obligation to protect the
rights of rural people and peasants.  These efforts in Bolivia can act
like best practices and the initiative [on the rights of peasants and
other people working in rural areas] is complementary to our national
efforts," she continued.

In this 19 th session, the Advisory Committee will present final
report on the advancement of the rights of peasants and other people
working in rural areas (document A/HRC/19/75).

Besides the focus on the rights of the most vulnerable people working
in rural areas, the study discusses the need to create a new special
procedure to improve the promotion and protection of the rights of
peasants and develop a new international human rights instrument for
these rights. A declaration, based on the La Via Campesina Declaration
of the Rights of Peasants Women and Men is attached to the study and
could serve as a model.

" The inequalities in land tenure as well as for other productive
resources, discrimination against rural women peasants, the increase
in hunger and malnutrition, and the difficulties in meeting the
Millennium Development Goals are all very good reasons why we need a
breakthrough in dealing with the food situation," said Jean Feyder,
Ambassador of Luxembourg. The recommendations in the final study are
meant to serve this objective; business as usual definitely will not
solve the problem.

" Food is not a commodity, food has cultural and social dimensions
too, ” Ana Maria Suarez Franco from FIAN International said.
"Therefore, our food, our culture, and our social cohesion will be
destroyed should the land grabbing phenomenon persist."

Ana Maria further explained, "Food produced by peasants is as
important as peace and security in the world."

" Peasants and other rural people are now claiming their rights and
offer real alternatives to improve the food system and human rights
mechanisms. It is about time for the international community to
respond to this," she concluded.

The final study will be discussed with states on March 13 and 14 on
item 5 in the 19 th session of UN Human Rights Council.

Via Campesina News
--

La Via Campesina
Via Campesina is an international movement of peasants, small- and

International Operational Secretariat:
Jln. Mampang Prapatan XIV no 5 Jakarta Selatan 12790, Indonesia
Tel/fax: +62-21-7991890/+62-21-7993426
Email: viacampesina at viacampesina.org

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"