[E-rundbrief] Info 1019 - Gaza Freedom-Flotilla II - Israeli attacks

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mo Jun 13 12:15:34 CEST 2011

E-Rundbrief - Info 1019 - “Freedom Flotilla II- Stay Human” mission to
Gaza, Palestine - Nonviolent Protests against Israeli attacks -
statements of government officials in Israel (echoed by officials in
other countries) about diplomatic initiatives to impede the “Freedom
Flotilla II- Stay Human” mission to Gaza, Palestine.

Bad Ischl, 13.6.2011

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Dear Israel: It is YOU who is the provocateur, not us

As we get ready to sail in two weeks, Israel has stepped up the
threats, threatening to sue the Canadians who are going, threatening
to sue the satellite phone company if they provide us with service,
threatening to kill and maim us if we don't stop, then saying, "I told
you so...we said we would kill you."

This behavior has got to stop. Israel is behaving like the schoolyard
bully who parents and teachers fear, because his parents are rich and
have contributed to the school. It's time for us to put our foot down.

Start calling your member of parliament/congress now. Start writing
letters to the editor. Start a civil movement on social networks of
outrage against Israel's attacks on civilians. Distribute this
statement below and post on your websites.

We CAN stop Israeli attacks against us if we work together.

Greta

ANNOUNCEMENT

June 12, 2011

Regarding statements of government officials in Israel (echoed by
officials in other countries) about diplomatic initiatives to impede
the “Freedom Flotilla II- Stay Human” mission to Gaza, Palestine, we say:

Proper diplomacy does not exclude humanitarian action; Instead of
seeking to prevent an international community of concerned citizens
from taking nonviolent action in defense of liberty and human rights,
diplomacy must pursue such actions and encourage them.

It is, therefore, a provocation to label the humanitarian action taken
by movements supporting human rights to sail to Gaza a “provocation.”

It is a provocation that powerful states and international
organizations, such as the US, Israel, the EU and the UN, are asking
people to be silent and not react to violations of law and the disdain
for universal values.

It is a provocation that international diplomacy is demanding that
solidarity action from "people to people" be stopped.

It is a provocation that this international peaceful action is
threatened with violence, and the powerful of the earth “wash their
hands” of the consequences if Israel attacks us.

It is a provocation that these powerful entities justify, a priori,
the murders, wounding, arrests and torture of unarmed human rights
activists that took place one year ago on board all six ships of
Freedom Flotilla 1.

We are determined to sail to Gaza, and we will. Our cause is just and
our means are transparent. International diplomacy must do what it has
refused to do for years, to undertake initiatives that it has turned
away from for decades. Instead of condoning threats of repeated
violence against unarmed civilians sailing in international waters,
the global community must legally sanction the perpetrators of such
crimes.

Those who seek to uphold and defend freedom, human rights, and justice
must do more than denounce belligerent occupation, man-made
humanitarian crises, ethnic cleansing, wanton violence against
civilians, and the fierce oppression of social movements.

Civil society must be present, direct, and pro-active; it must
transcend the political process of handling and resolving crises,
which governments and international organizations carry out slowly,
indecisively and, above all, with their self-interest at the forefront.

The grossly unjust and unlawful blockade of the Gaza Strip and the
ongoing belligerent occupation of the rest of Palestine is a stark
case of states sacrificing principle and human rights for power and
self-interest.

The Freedom Flotilla II – Stay Human mission is a healthy reaction to
the apathy of the international political community. We are sailing to
confront massive injustice with global nonviolent action. This mission
puts on notice all those who, for many years, have passively watched
the tragedy of Palestine, as well as those who directly contribute to it.

Therefore, direct action taken by civil society to uphold freedom,
human rights, and justice (such as Freedom Flotilla II - Stay Human),
not only helps to build a different level of conscience, but is, and
has to be, a means for the public to become a part of change and a
direct challenge to governmental bodies that will not be stopped.

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"