[E-rundbrief] Info 2170 - La Via Campesina Political Declaration

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Fr Apr 15 17:32:35 CEST 2022

E-Rundbrief Info 2170 - La Via Campesina Political Declaration: 30 years
of collective struggle, hope and solidarity.

Bad Ischl, 15.4.2022

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

La Via Campesina Political Declaration: 30 years of collective struggle,
hope and solidarity

  15 APRIL 2022  FOOD SOVEREIGNTY, KEY DOCUMENTS (FOOD SOVEREIGNTY),
WHAT ARE WE FIGHTING FOR?

This 17th April, the International Day of Action for Peasant Struggles,
we commemorate the 26 years of the Eldorado dos Carajás massacre of
peasants in Brazil and resist the criminalization, oppression and
repression of our struggles for life. On this day, we also commence a
moment to celebrate 30 years of building collective struggles, hope and
solidarity in service of humanity.

We, La Via Campesina, the international peasant voice of the millions of
peasants, women and men, youth, small and medium-size farmers, family
farmers, landless, indigenous people, migrants and agricultural workers
from 182 local and national organisations in 81 countries from Africa,
Asia, Europe and the Americas refuse to disappear but continue grow in
strength. Through persistence, perseverance and hope, we have harvested
major victories: food sovereignty recognised and adopted by some
countries, agroecology recognised and supported by Food and Agriculture
Organisation (FAO) and United Nations Declaration of the Rights of
Peasants and Other People working in the Rural Areas (UNDROP) adopted by
UN General Assembly. We continue to occupy important multilateral spaces
of global food governance to influence debate and contribute in support
of food sovereignty, agroecology and popular agrarian reform.

We are alert to the current global context and the need to strengthen
our struggle. The worsening geopolitical conflict as the liberal
international order led by US collapses, the imperialist offensive
against the masses and criminalisation of social movements. The
corporate media are increasingly involved in the violation of democratic
systems and human rights through censorship and surveillance.

Big corporations recently joined forces to capture of global
multilateral food governance and climate change spaces in the United
Nations. The ongoing conflicts and wars in Africa, Americas, Asia and
Europe. The worsening climate crisis and health crisis due to COVID-19.
All these have aggravated the suffering. Thus, we witness record high
levels of poverty, hunger and inequalities globally and increased
criminalisation for demanding social justice and dignity. Thus, millions
of people are forced to abandon their territories and migrate to other
countries, where some face more injustices.

We reject this neoliberal model that runs counter to our collective
vision of harmony with nature, unity and peace. We affirm our commitment
to continue to build democratic societies against imperialism. Over the
last 30 years, together with our allies, we have been collectively
building hope and solidarity through food sovereignty putting humanity,
Mother Earth and social justice at the centre. We stand firm in
internationalist solidarity with all who struggle for life, rights and
dignity.

Last year, in 2021, we celebrated a quarter century of building of and
pushing for food sovereignty and also initiated debate to critically
reflect on our achievements, victories and propose actions for the
future including participating in the Global Nyeleni Forum planned in 2023.

What do we need from governments and institutions to continue feeding
the world?

     Implement a democratic and extensive agrarian reform which allows
the peoples to have sovereignty over their natural resources and over
their food on both the production and the distribution processes.
     Recognize the work we are already doing and promote successful
examples of our ability to feed people. While we produce and exchange
the majority of the world's food, our markets are largely ignored in
policy of governments and institutions. Trade is needed but a different
kind, which does not exploit people, nature and benefits communities and
not corporations.
     Scale out and up Peasant Agroecology as a solution to climate
crisis, loss of biodiversity and soil fertility. Due to unsustainable
industrial agricultural practices, we see a unique opportunity for
agroecology as many countries want to transition to "sustainable farming
methods" and reduce use of toxic agro-inputs.
     Implement UNDROP through creating a UN special procedure and
mainstreaming the declaration in FAO, other Rome-based agencies in
relation to food and agricultural policies, and also the UN Decade of
Family Farming. This would allow referencing of UNDROP in policies to
reshape and transform our societies.

How do we advance our struggles from La Via Campesina?

     Roll out massive training and awareness, among members, on UNDROP
so that they lead the wide promotion of essential components of public
policies in their countries in favour food sovereignty, agroecology and
the recognition and respect of rights of peasants.
     Build and strengthen diversity and inclusiveness against violence
and oppression. Embracing diversity is key to "Building the Movement to
change the world". Today our movement the youth, women, cultural and
gender diversities (LGBTQI) are the majority and in leadership.
     Build Peasant and Popular Feminism to define and shape gender
relations in our movement, and as a political tool against all forms of
violence.
     Strengthen the Migrant and Waged Agricultural Workers' Collective
as a space to increase visibility to their issues.
     Advance work against the impunity of transnational corporations
(TNCs) and contribute to the binding treaty process to regulate TNCs
     To understand the complex and fluid world and adapt our strategies,
we are:

- Building new alliances and strengthening the existing ones to learn
and share experiences through collective analysis and formation, and
defend a future based on food sovereignty.

-Increasing and strengthening political and technical formation. We will
promote popular peasant methods and technologies that engage women and
youth in the defense of rural livelihoods. Again, we should master new
ways of communication in service of humanity to reach many people
defending their rights and in support of food sovereignty.

#LVC30Years #17April2022 #NoFutureWithoutFoodSovereignty #FoodSovereigntyNOW
EN-Final-April-17th-Declaration-14-04-2022-1

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit