[E-rundbrief] Info 2106 - Climate activists against nuclear

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mo Jun 28 10:10:20 CEST 2021

E-Rundbrief Info 2106 - Simon Butler (GB): Ten reasons climate
activists should not support nuclear.

Bad Ischl, 28.6.2021

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Korrektur zum letzten E-Rundbrief-Info (Info 2116, vom 27.6.2021):
Statt Info 2116 müsste Info 2106 stehen.

===========================

Ten reasons climate activists should not support nuclear.

Simon Butler

Edinburgh

June 24, 2021

Source : Green Left

https://www.greenleft.org.au/content/ten-reasons-climate-activists-should-not-support-nuclear

In a recent Guardian article, Jacobin magazine’s founding editor
Bhaskar Sunkara declared that “If we want to fight the climate crisis,
we must embrace nuclear power.” He praised nuclear as clean and
reliable and suggested that opponents of nuclear power are either
gripped by “paranoia … rooted in Cold War associations” or are relying
on “outdated information”.

I disagree entirely. Here are ten reasons why nuclear power is still
no solution for climate change.

1. Nuclear is dangerous. Building many new nuclear power plants around
the globe means a higher risk of unpredictable Fukushima-type
accidents. We know more extreme weather events are locked in due to
climate change, adding to the danger as time passes.

What if a nuclear power plant had been in the path of Australia’s huge
bushfires in 2020? What nuclear power plant could withstand super
typhoons like the one that flattened Tacloban City in the Philippines
in 2013? What if a nuclear plant was submerged by unexpectedly massive
floods, like those in Mozambique for the past three years in a row?

Planning for a hotter future means switching to safer, resilient
technologies. Building more nuclear power plants in this context is
reckless.

2. Nuclear wastes water. Nuclear power is an incredibly water-guzzling
energy source compared with renewables like solar and wind. We know
climate change-induced droughts and floods will make existing
freshwater shortages a lot worse. So it’s a bad idea to waste so much
water on more nuclear.

Uranium mining can also make nearby groundwater unusable forever. Half
of the world’s uranium mines use a process called in-situ leaching.
This involves fracking ore deposits then pumping down a cocktail of
acids mixed with groundwater to dissolve the uranium for easier
extraction. This contaminates aquifers with radioactive elements.
There are no examples of successful groundwater restoration.

3. Nuclear is slow. Nuclear power plants take a very long time to
build. Since 1981, the median construction time for nuclear reactors
has been 7 to 10 years. In 2017, two-thirds of new nuclear power
plants being built had long delays.

Science says we need to replace fossil fuels rapidly and completely
but nuclear power does not allow for a fast transition. Solar and wind
can be deployed much more quickly.

4. Nuclear is not green. The claim that nuclear is emissions-free
relies on not telling the whole story. If you measure greenhouse gas
emissions over the whole process — mining, refining, construction,
decommissioning and waste storage — then nuclear is far worse for the
climate than renewables.

A 2017 report by WISE International estimated nuclear lifecycle
emissions at 88–146 grams of carbon dioxide per kilowatt hour. By
contrast, estimates of lifecycle emissions for wind power sit at about
5–12 grams. Carbon emissions from uranium mining will also rise over
time as the most easily recoverable ores are mined out.

5. Nuclear is not renewable. There’s not enough high grade uranium
available for nuclear power to make a big dent in carbon emissions. If
we trebled the number of nuclear plants worldwide recoverable uranium
reserves would run out in a few decades.

If we replaced 70% of global energy use with nuclear power we’d run
out of uranium in about 6 years. Nuclear reflects very short-term
thinking. We need long-term sustainability.

6. Nuclear is expensive. Producing energy with nuclear power is a lot
more expensive than renewables. Nuclear power’s already high
construction costs routinely blow out, going billions over budget.
Britain’s Hinkley Point C reactor cost estimates have risen from £18
billion in 2016 to £22–£23 billion today. It won’t open until June
2026 at the earliest.

Cost does matter, even if part of an emergency climate action plan
like a Green New Deal. The higher cost of nuclear power reflects the
higher amount of human labour time and natural resources it consumes.

If renewables were built instead of nuclear, the labour and resources
saved could be better deployed in the other areas we need to bring
about a future based on climate justice, such as housing, healthcare,
sustainable farming or climate reparations.

7. Nuclear power means nuclear weapons. A big rollout of nuclear power
would mean a big expansion of fissile materials that could be used for
nuclear weapons. It would multiply the facilities such as enrichment
and reprocessing plants that these weapons need. The spread of civil
nuclear programs to more countries would make more states capable of
quickly producing nuclear weapons.

In countries such as the United States and Britain, keeping civil
nuclear power is a strategic military choice, not a savvy green
policy. Consumers pay a higher energy price to maintain nuclear power
infrastructure, which subsidises nuclear weapons programs.

8. Nuclear waste is forever. The most hazardous nuclear waste decays
so slowly that it won’t be safe for millions of years.

Ramping up nuclear power will produce a lot more waste and there is no
safe way to store it. It’s irresponsible to make this waste a problem
for our descendants.

In some places nuclear waste is a very present problem. In the 1970s,
the US army built a concrete cap to seal away 3.1 million cubic feet
of radioactive waste on Runit Island, which is part of the Marshall
Islands. Today, rising sea levels threaten to bring down the entire
structure, releasing the radioactive waste into the lagoon. The US
government has refused to help, saying it’s the Marshall Islanders’
problem now.

9. Uranium mining is unsafe. There is no safe way to mine uranium or
other radioactive elements. Building more nuclear power will result in
more leakage of radioactive materials into the environment and more
workers exposed to unsafe conditions and preventable deaths.

10. Nuclear means dispossession. About 70% of the uranium used for
nuclear power plants worldwide is mined from the lands of Indigenous
minorities. For too long, Indigenous peoples’ lands and culture have
been treated as nuclear industry sacrifice zones. We should not
support any expansion.

Mirarr Traditional Owners, whose country lies in the north of
Australia’s Northern Territory and encompasses the Ranger and Jabiluka
uranium deposits, released a statement in March that “expressed their
continued sadness” at the ongoing disaster at Fukushima. The uranium
for the Fukushima reactor came from the Ranger mine on Mirarr lands,
which they had always opposed.

In a 2011 open letter to the United Nations, Mirarr senior Traditional
Owner Yvonne Margarula said that the Mirarr believe uranium mining
globally “constitutes an unfair impact on Indigenous people now and
into the future. We suffer the dangers and long term impacts of the
front end of the nuclear fuel cycle so that others overseas may
continue to enjoy lives without the awareness of the impacts this has
on the lives of others.”

What’s the allure of nuclear?

It’s obvious why people connected with the failing nuclear industry
will keep desperately pushing the “nuclear is a climate solution”
argument. But there are also other people genuinely worried about
climate change who might still stubbornly back nuclear power despite
the arguments put above. There are several reasons for this.

For some, the mistake is to short-sightedly treat lowering greenhouse
gas emissions in isolation from other concerns. This leads them to
dismiss objections, which point out nuclear power’s close ties with
environmental racism, militarism and the poisoning of Indigenous
lands. Their mistake is to think of nuclear power, which is bound up
in social systems of production, in a non-social way.

For others, nuclear power appeals because it aligns with fixed notions
of progress and modernity, in which technological know-how is meant to
lead to human mastery over nature. This ecomodernist outlook tends to
treat nature as an enemy to conquer rather than a complex living
system to defend and nurture. Their mistake is to think of nuclear
power, which is an expression of capitalism’s alienation from natural
needs, in a non-ecological way.

For others still, support for nuclear power may best be explained as a
studied lack of solidarity. When corporate executives, professors or
journalists say we should build more nuclear power plants, they never
volunteer to work in uranium mines, live near nuclear power plants, or
host radioactive waste in their neighborhoods. Those burdens will
always be borne by others.

[Reprinted from Climate and Capitalism. Simon Butler is co-author,
with Ian Angus, of Too Many People? Population, Immigration, and the
Environmental Crisis and a former editor of Green Left. He lives in
Scotland.]

alternatives.
The information given on the list are not always representative of the
Reseau "Sortir du nucleaire" opinion -
Don't forget also to visit the International Press Review on our
website English section >
http://sortirdunucleaire.org/English

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit