[E-rundbrief] Info 2093 - Via Campesina: 2020 Annual Report

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Mai 13 11:11:20 CEST 2021

E-Rundbrief Info 2093 - La Via Campesina: 2020 Annual Report

Bad Ischl, .2020

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

La Via Campesina: 2020 Annual Report

had and the progress we made in 2020. The year was one of the most
challenging years of the last half century. No one ever anticipated
that by March, the world would face a pandemic that would bring life
as we know it to a halt. The Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic did that.
The pandemic exposed two things: (1) the rotten core and the cracks in
the global neoliberal economy and (2) the urgent need for radical
policies to usher in change and bring relief, dignity, and equity to
billions of people whose survival is hanging by a thin thread. With
each crisis desperation has increased leading to unintended outcomes,
for instance, the recent rise of the extreme right, fascism, and
jingoistic-nationalism. Global inequality is at its peak. Empathy is
at its lowest, and destructive economic, social, ecological, and
environmental policies are more prevalent than ever. This pandemic is
rooted in capitalism and strongly connected to the industrial
agriculture model, and is one of the many recent outcomes of such
destructive policies. As the turbulent 2020 drew to an end, many hoped
that 2021 would be a better year. The surge in new infections in most
countries do not show return to the "normalcy" of the pre-COVID times.
Urgent actions are needed from the grassroots to the state level to
transform and rebuild hundreds of millions of lives pushed to
starvation and poverty by the COVID pandemic. The pandemic led us into
a period where the understanding of the importance of local food
production and the need for public health has increased. Food
sovereignty as peoples' right to healthy and culturally appropriate
food produced with ecologically sustainable methods is important.

As La Via Campesina, we have adapted our communication strategy,
shifted resources towards communication actions, and intensified our
presence in social media. This strategy became more central as a
possibility to reach out, "stay at home but not silent", and to
mobilize on our agenda. It is key that a movement like LVC remains
present in the public eye and in public opinion to mobilize for the
right changes! The realization of peasants' rights and those of
migrant and seasonal workers by promoting UN Declaration on the Rights
of Peasants and Other People working in the Rural Areas (UNDROP)
remains a priority for the peasant movement. We will continue
combating the criminalization and repression of peasant leaders, and
explore different ideas of creating our own spaces of solidarity,
while strengthening the existing solidarity networks..

Download PDF Report:
https://viacampesina.org/en/la-via-campesina-2020-annual-report/

Publication Date: April 2021

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit