[E-rundbrief] Info 2071 - Sanders Warns Biden Attack on Syria

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Sa Feb 27 17:47:01 CET 2021

E-Rundbrief Info 2971 -

Bad Ischl, 27.2.2021

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Friday, February 26, 2021

by
Common Dreams

Sanders Warns Biden Attack on Syria Puts US on 'Path of Continuing the
Forever War Instead of Ending It'

"Our Constitution is clear that it is Congress, not the president, who
has the authority to declare war," the senator asserted.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/02/26/bidens-reckless-syria-bombing-not-diplomacy-he-promised

by
Brett Wilkins, staff writer

Senate Budget Committee Chairman Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., arrives
for a hearing on Capitol Hill examining wages at large profitable
corporations February 25, 2021 in Washington, D.C.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) on February 26, 2021 expressed his serious
concerns over the legality and consequences of U.S. airstrikes ordered
by President Joe Biden against Iran-backed militants in eastern Syria.

Sen. Bernie Sanders on Friday added his voice to a growing chorus of
concern and condemnation after President Joe Biden ordered an attack
Thursday on Iran-backed militants in eastern Syria without seeking
congressional approval.

"For far too long administrations of both parties have interpreted
their authorities in an extremely expansive way to continue military
interventions across the Middle East region and elsewhere."
—Sen. Bernie Sanders

In a statement, Sanders (I-Vt.) said he was "very concerned" that the
U.S. attack—which according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
killed 22 Iraqi Hezbollah and Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces
fighters—"puts our country on the path of continuing the Forever War
instead of ending it."

"This is the same path we've been on for almost two decades," said
Sanders. "For far too long administrations of both parties have
interpreted their authorities in an extremely expansive way to
continue military interventions across the Middle East region and
elsewhere. This must end."

Sanders noted that "in 2019 Congress passed the first War Powers
Resolution in history to end U.S. participation in the war in Yemen,"
and that lawmakers passed another resolution last year to prevent
former President Donald Trump "from starting a war with Iran."

"These were important and historic steps by Congress to reassert
constitutional authority over the use of force, and we must continue
to built on these efforts," Sanders said. "Our Constitution is clear
that it is Congress, not the president, who has the authority to
declare war."

Comment:

Medea Benjamin
@medeabenjamin
·
26. Feb. 2021

What right does Biden have to bomb Iranian-backed militias in Syria???
NONE. They are not threatening the US. There was no authorization by
Congress. This is an illegal provocation that will make peace with
Iran more and more difficult. STOP!!!

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit