[E-rundbrief] Info 2057 - IENEARTH - Biden Revokes Keystone XL

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Fr Jan 22 18:35:04 CET 2021

E-Rundbrief Info 2057 - IENEARTH (USA): Biden Revokes Keystone XL (Gas
Pipeline), Indigenous Leaders Celebrate and Push for Stronger Action.

Bad Ischl,22.1.2021

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Biden Revokes Keystone XL, Indigenous Leaders Celebrate and Push for
Stronger Action

     January 20, 2021

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Jennifer K. Falcon, jennifer at ienearth.org, +1 218-760-9958

Bemidji, MN (January 20, 2021) – Today, President Biden officially
revoked the presidential permit for the Keystone XL pipeline. This tar
sands project, owned by TC Energy, has been challenged by the
Indigenous Environmental Network since its first permit hearings back
in 2010. While this is a substantial victory for the Indigenous
peoples who have been in this fight for over a decade we must not
forget about our relatives fighting Line 3,the Dakota Access Pipeline
and other fossil fuel projects poisoning our communities and fueling
the climate emergency.

“It is imperative that we keep the pressure on President-elect Biden
to put an end to ALL fossil fuel infrastructure and projects, making
the ones that are near or on indigenous territories of top priority.
We love that KXL will be extinguished but what about Line 3,
TransMountain, and numerous others? Every project brought back to the
desk of elected officials needs to first be in the hands of the
indigenous people with indigenous voices having the first and last say
over what happens to the land and water.” Said Tasina Sapa Win Smith,
Co-founder of Cheyenne River Grassroots Collective.

The Keystone XL started as a tar sands campaign led by Cree, Dene and
Metis families living with the toxic results of tar sands mining in
Northern Alberta. We cherish their leadership and direction through
this decades-long fight to stop the expansion of the Tar Sands. It was
because of their struggle and our efforts to uplift the Indigenous
Rights violations associated with tar sands development, we were able
to demonstrate the power of Indigenous resistance and organizing.

“The KXL pipeline would have only deepened our mutual addiction to
dirty oil and enable the ongoing expansion of the tar sands at the
expense of our communities; as well as at the expense of advancing
clean energy,” said Melina Laboucan-Massimo, Indigenous Climate Action
Director of Just Transition.

Within the context of the Environmental Justice movement, it has
always been a challenge for folks to understand the strategic value of
an Indigenous Rights framework when it comes to protecting land and
water. As Keystone XL became a marque struggle in the United States,
it was our belief that allies could not talk about this fight without
addressing the impacts on Indigenous Rights.

“This is a victory and hopefully this is the end of it. We have been
fighting KXL ever since we heard about it. It was not only about
treaty rights violations, it was also about dirty oil. It was about
being in solidarity with the Dene and Cree people in Canada. The State
department did not consult with us, they never paid attention to us.
Maybe, now they will. Indigenous Peoples have always stood up for
Mother Earth and we will never give up that fight.” said Rodney
Bordeaux, President for the Rosebud Sioux Tribe.

The Keystone XL campaign provided tangible examples of how Indigenous
Peoples not only maintain the moral authority to protect their
territories but the legal right to deny consent to toxic projects.

“For over a decade, Indigenous peoples and our allies have prayed,
cried, and demonstrated to stop this evil zombie pipeline. We look
forward to hearing President Biden take further action by stopping
DAPL and line 3. Nothing less than stopping these attacks by
guaranteeing free, prior and informed consent and establishing a
climate test will we consider to call this a complete victory.
However, today is a great day. And I thank all that helped us get
here.” said Joye Braun, Cheyenne River Lakota, Community Organizer
with Indigenious Environmental Network

Extraction and pollution have poisoned Indigenous lands and bodies for
long enough. Our votes were a mandate for Joe Biden to take bold
action. Strengthening tribal sovereignty and our treaties must be
built on a foundation of Free, Informed Prior Consent and stopping
KXL, Line 3 and DAPL is a great start to that process.

“Once again our prayers were answered by our ancestors. It is a good
victory, but we can’t forget how many times the government tried
reviving the KXL pipeline. We are Oceti Sakowin and we have the power
to make things better for the people,” said Angeline Cheek, Tate Ska
Washte Win, Indigenous Justice Organizer, ACLU/Kokipasni Grassroots
Group. “Through prayer there is unity and strength. Thank you to our
spiritual leaders, elders, youth, communities, Grassroots organizers,
supporters and allies. Mitakuye Oyasin.”

###

Established in 1990, The Indigenous Environmental Network is an
international environmental justice nonprofit that works with tribal
grassroots organizations to build the capacity of Indigenous
communities. I EN’s activities include empowering Indigenous
communities and tribal governments to develop mechanisms to protect
our sacred sites, land, water, air, natural resources, the health of
both our people and all living things, and to build economically
sustainable communities.

Learn more here: ienearth.org

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit