[E-rundbrief] Info 2027- Anti-Racism in Public Health Act in USA

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Di Okt 6 18:20:50 CEST 2020

E-Rundbrief Info 2027 - Actionnetwork (USA): Petition: Demand Congress
pass the Anti-Racism in Public Health Act and address racism in our
health care systems.

Bad Ischl, 6.10.2020

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Sign the petition: Demand Congress pass the Anti-Racism in Public
Health Act and address racism in our health care systems.

Actionnetwork (USA)

We are in the middle of a pandemic that is disproportionately
affecting people of color. This is yet another BLATANT illustration
that racism is a public health crisis.

People of color are disproportionately affected by chronic health
conditions such as diabetes, asthma, hepatitis, and hypertension.
Black women are nearly four times as likely to die of
pregnancy-related causes than white women. Black people are six times
as likely to be killed by police.

The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted these vast disparities. Black
and Brown people are nearly three times more likely than white people
to contract COVID-19 and up to two times more likely to die from the
disease. Black and Brown people who get infected are more likely to
have pre-existing conditions that increase their risk of severe
illness. Because they are more likely to be uninsured, they tend to
put off seeking treatment and are sicker when they do receive care.

Sign the petition: Demand Congress immediately address racism in
public health!

Racism affects where people live, where they go to school, the quality
of the air they breathe, their income and wealth, and their access to
food and healthcare and more. Racism leads to worse health outcomes
for Black and Brown patients than their white counterparts.

To address racism in public health, Senator Elizabeth Warren and
Representatives Ayanna Pressley and Barbara Lee have introduced the
Anti-Racism in Public Health Act. This bill would create a "National
Center for Anti-Racism" at the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention to declare racism as the public health crisis that it is
and further develop the research base and knowledge in the science and
practice of anti-racism. Additionally, it would create a Law
Enforcement Violence Prevention Program.

The health of people of color has been devastated by widespread racism
in our healthcare system for far too long. We need to immediately
address the unacceptable racist disparities in health care.

Sign the petition: Demand Congress pass the Anti-Racism in Public
Health Act.

https://actionnetwork.org/forms/sign-the-petition-demand-congress-pass-the-anti-racism-in-public-health-act-and-address-racism-in-our-health-care-systems

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit