[E-rundbrief] Info 1814 - Israeli Conscientious Objector Hillel Garmi released from military prison

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mi Dez 26 11:13:46 CET 2018

E-Rundbrief - Info 1814 - Dror Mizrahi, Mesarvot (Israel): Following
107 days of incarceration, Hillel Garmi (18) of Yodfat has been
released from military prison

Bad Ischl, 26.12.2018

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

From: Dror Mizrahi <dror [at] dror-mizrahi.org>

- Press Release, 25.12.2018 -

Following 107 days of incarceration, Hillel Garmi (18) of Yodfat has
been released from military prison

Yesterday, the IDF’s Consience Committee decided to exempt
conscientious objector Hillel Garmi, of Yodfat in northern Israel from
military service. Garmi, one of the initiators of the High School
Students’ Letter, was released following seven sentences since his
first appearance at the Induction Center this July, when he first
declared his refusal to serve.

Upon his release Garmi said, “The five months I have spent in prison
have been dedicated to the struggle against occupation and siege, to
the five million Palestinians who effectively live under the rule of
the Israeli government but do not have the chance to elect it.”

* * *

Garmi added: “Throughout the nights and days I spent in prison, I
tried to imagine the suffering of the Palestinians undergoing the
ongoing siege of the Gaza Strip, including the lack of drinking water,
food and medicine, or that of the Palestinians under occupation in the
West Bank, who suffer the theft of their lands, road blockages,
arbitrary search and arrest. Some people have told me that my refusal
amounts to evading responsibility for the security of the citizens of
Israel, but I believe rather that this act is one of taking
responsibility for all those affected by my deeds, Israelis and
Palestinians, by not joining in the cycle of violence and not hurting
any of them, and by convincing others to act likewise.”

Upon entering prison Garmi said that his decision to refuse was
inspired by the actions of Ahmed Abu-Ratima, the Gazan organizer of
the Great Return March, and that Abu-Ratima had written him in support
of his act.

Conscientious object Adam Rafaelov (18) of Kiryat Motzkin is currently
in prison, having already served 97 days for refusing to join the army.

Garmi and Rafaelov are accompanied by Mesarvot – A political refusing
network that writes letters and initiates refusing groups from the
last few years to joint action. The network supports conscientious
objectors that choose to not enlist in the occupation army, while
knowingly acknowledging the gender aspects that the compulsory
enlistment brings to Israeli society. The network works in cooperation
and assistant from Yesh Gvul Movement.

Attached please find a photo of Garmi, credit: Yoav Eshel.

Dror Mizrahi
Media | Strategy | PR

Cell: +972-50-7248688
Email: dror [at] dror-mizrahi.org

TEL AVIV-JAFFA, ISRAEL

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit