[E-rundbrief] Info 1747 - Nobel Women's Initiative WomenPeaceKorea

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Sa Mai 26 10:29:47 CEST 2018

E-Rundbrief Info 1747 - Nobel Women's Initiative (CDN): Dispatch from
South Korea: #WomenPeaceKorea

Bad Ischl, 26.5.2018

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Nobel Women's Initiative

Dispatch from South Korea: #WomenPeaceKorea

May 25 2018

https://nobelwomensinitiative.org/80-million-hearts-broken ...

"Peace is unstoppable, and we are not waiting for the United States to
make peace happen on the Korean peninsula."
– Christine Ahn.

In the aftermath of yesterday's deeply disappointing news that
American President Donald Trump has cancelled next month's Korea peace
summit with North Korean Chairman Kim Jong-un, our #WomenPeaceKorea: A
New Era delegation with Women Cross DMZ has not stopped mobilizing for
peace.

Our delegation of 30 women security experts and feminist peace
activists from around the world spent the morning meeting with
government officials and foreign ministries in Seoul. Our American
delegates met with diplomats at the US Embassy to discuss how women
can play a constructive role in establishing a diplomatic peace
process between the United States and North Korea.

Following the morning meetings, our delegates came together outside
the American embassy for a press conference to address this latest
announcement. Nobel peace laureate, Mairead Maguire, and International
Coordinator of Women Cross DMZ, Christine Ahn, spoke to a crowd of
journalists and observers about the critical importance of a
diplomatic peace process which includes women's movements in the
mediation. Watch the press conference here.

"I say to President Trump and Chairman Kim: be courageous and sit down
and work for peace and reunification for Korean families and the
Korean peninsula." – Mairead Maguire.

After the press conference, we held a demonstration to protest
American President Donald Trump's decision. Our delegation was blocked
from delivering our petition to the US Embassy by a strong police
presence forming a blockade, with several other demonstrations taking
place nearby. Watch scenes from the protest here.

In the afternoon the delegation met with the office of the South
Korean Minister of Gender Equality. This was followed by more strategy
discussions, including the decision to hold a Global Day of Solidarity
with the Korean people for peace on June 12, when the summit was
originally meant to take place. We are calling for President Moon and
Chairman Kim to meet as scheduled and to fulfil the commitments
outlined in the Panmunjeom Declaration.

"Peace isn’t just up to two men. It’s up to the people and the leaders
of North and South Korea, and that peace train has long left the
station." – Christine Ahn.

#WomenPeaceKorea ended the day in a show of solidarity with the Korean
people and women's movements by joining student protests outside the
US Embassy calling for peace and diplomacy.

FOLLOW:
#WomenPeaceKorea on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

#WOMENPEACEKOREA IN THE NEWS:

Read our #WomenPeaceKorea: A New Era news release in response to
Trump's summit cancellation.

Watch Christine Ahn on Democracy Now to address the repercussions of
the announcement.

TAKE ACTION:

Sign our petition to President Moon, Chairman Kim, President Trump,
and President Xi to remind them of their countries' commitments to UN
Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security, and
call on them to ensure that women’s movements are included in the
Korean peace process.

Show your support by taking a picture of yourself with one of our
posters, and tweeting it out with the hashtag #WomenPeaceKorea.

Website
Nobel Women's Initiative
430-1 Nicholas Street Ottawa, ON
K1N 7B7
https://nobelwomensinitiative.org

--

     Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit