[E-rundbrief] Info 1652 - Victory for Indigenous Peoples in Brazil!

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
So Aug 20 12:59:09 CEST 2017

E-Rundbrief - Info 1652 - Amazonwatch (USA): Victory for Indigenous
Peoples as Brazil's Supreme Court Rejects Attempts To Limit Indigenous
Land Rights.

Bad Ischl, 20.8.2017

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

We know good news is hard to come by these days – that's why this
week's victory is so remarkable!

Brazil's Supreme Court ruled unanimously in favor of indigenous land
rights this week, issuing decisions in two separate cases that set a
legal precedent for indigenous peoples in the country and pushes back
against the government's assault on human rights.

"This is a very important victory for our people and our family," said
Adilio Benites, a Guarani Kaiowá leader celebrating the decision in
Brasilia after holding an all-night vigil outside of the Supreme Court.

Many thanks to the thousands of you who joined us in sending messages
to the Court. You contributed to this victory!

You can read more about the rulings and what they mean on this blog we
wrote with our friends at International Rivers:
http://amazonwatch.org/news/blog

The struggle for indigenous rights and environmental protection in
Brazil isn't over – but let's take this moment to celebrate this good
news.

More:

Victory for Indigenous Peoples as Brazil's Supreme Court Rejects
Attempts To Limit Indigenous Land Rights

Christian Poirier and Brent Millikan
Amazonwatch
August 19, 2017

http://amazonwatch.org/news/2017/0819-victory-for-indigenous-peoples-as-brazil-court-rejects-attempts-to-limit-indigenous-rights?utm_source=Amazon+Watch+Newsletter+and+Updates&utm_campaign=e2bbd1ac7d-2017-08-19-BR&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e6f929728b-e2bbd1ac7d-340472777&mc_cid=e2bbd1ac7d&mc_eid=f7b2e749f5

Amazon Watch
2201 Broadway, Suite 508
Oakland, CA 94612
http://amazonwatch.org

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"