[E-rundbrief] Info 1540 - LVC on Trade, Markets and Development

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Di Jul 19 21:48:44 CEST 2016

E-Rundbrief - Info 1540 - La Via Campesina (LVC): LVC Declaration on
Trade, Markets and Development in the context of UNCTAD 2016, Nairobi,
Kenya.

Bad Ischl, 19.7.2016

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

LVC Declaration on Trade, Markets and Development in the context of
UNCTAD 2016, Nairobi, Kenya

La Via Campesina

19.7.2016

"Food Sovereignty is the right of peoples to healthy and culturally
appropriate food produced through ecologically sound and sustainable
methods, and their right to define their own food and agriculture
systems. It puts the aspirations and needs of those who produce,
distribute and consume food at the heart of food systems and policies
rather than the demands of markets and corporations." — Nyeleni
Declaration on Food Sovereignty (Mali, 2007)

(Nairobi, July 19, 2016) In the context of the Fourteenth Session of
the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
scheduled for 17–22 July 2016 in Nairobi, Kenya, we of La Vía
Campesina reiterate our commitment to Food Sovereignty and the Right
to Food as well as our resolve to put an end to neoliberalism's
so-called "free trade paradigm" and "market-driven development"
schemes that serve only to consolidate corporate control over our food
systems. As a UN body, we expect UNCTAD and its member states to
prioritize democratic and participatory processes aimed at policies
that successfully promote food sovereignty. UNCTAD should not be used
to promote the very same Free Trade Agreements (FTAs), including the
European Union's Economic Partnership Agreements (EPAs) in Africa,
that one after another have resulted in more hunger, poverty, and
exclusion for people around the world.

La Vía Campesina is an international movement which brings together
millions of peasants, small and medium-size farmers, landless people,
women farmers, indigenous people, migrants and agricultural workers
from around the world. We defend peasant-based agroecological food
systems as a way to promote social justice and dignity and we strongly
oppose corporate driven agriculture and transnational companies that
are destroying our food systems, our communities, and the environment.
We are made up of 164 local and national organizations in 73 countries
from Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas. Altogether, we represent
about 200 million farmers. We are an autonomous, pluralist and
multicultural movement, independent from any political, economic or
other type of affiliation.

On UNCTAD

We of La Via Campesina very much welcomed the 2015 publication of the
UNCTAD Report titled "Smallholder Farmers and Sustainable Commodity
Development" and its recognition of our vital role in food production
and markets, as well as the need for governments and multilateral
institutions to work directly with us in order to achieve the UN
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). However, we strongly oppose the
report's numerous recommendations, most of which support the
commodification of our agricultural production. We firmly reject the
report's underlying premise that only as successful profit seekers, or
"business enterprises", are we a viable long-term source of food and
nutrition for our people. We also denounce ongoing attempts to
commodify food and nutrition, and remind all those gathered at UNCTAD
14 that food is a Human Right.

The UNCTAD we are seeing in motion presents a free market driven
neoliberal trade paradigm which stands in stark contrast to the food
sovereignty paradigm where smallholder farmers are social, cultural,
and historical actors that make decisions based on a diversity of
personal, ethical, and cultural factors and not just based on profit,
business and markets. Instead of corporate-backed trade promotion
schemes, we want an UNCTAD that protects us from the destructive and
secretive FTAs promoted by the undemocratic World Trade Organization
(WTO) such as the TTIP, TPP, CETA, TiSA, EPAs, and their so-called
Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS). We, the peasants of the
world, currently feed the global majority, and we do so in spite of
the numerous Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) aimed at displacing peasant
production and trade worldwide.

Peasant-Based Production and Local Markets

Globally, more than 80% of smallholders operate in local and domestic
food markets, with the majority trading through informal means. These
highly diverse markets are the ones through which most of the food
consumed in the world transits. They operate within territorial spaces
that can range from local to transboundary to regional and may be
located in rural, peri-urban or urban contexts.

These markets are directly linked to local, national and/or regional
food systems: the food concerned is produced, processed, traded and
consumed within a given space and the value added is retained and
shared there, helping to create employment. They can take place in
structured arrangements or in more ad hoc or informal ways which
provide greater flexibility for smallholders and fewer barriers to
entry and more control over prices and market conditions. They perform
multiple functions beyond commodity exchange, acting as space for
social interaction and exchange of knowledge. These are the most
important markets, especially for rural women, when it comes to
inclusion and access, contributing significantly to our fulfilment of
our right to food and nutrition.

Despite their importance, informal markets are often overlooked in
data collection systems which impacts negatively on the evidence base
for informing public policies. As women smallholders mostly operate in
informal markets, their essential contribution to food systems,
including food distribution, and economic growth remains largely
invisible in trade and development policy-making processes and, they
face particular socio-economic barriers in accessing resources and
marketing opportunities resulting in further marginalization and
violation of their rights. Given their importance for food security
and smallholder livelihoods, public policies and investments should be
oriented towards strengthening, expanding and protecting local and
domestic peasant-fed markets.

We call on the UNCTAD and its member states to support the collection
of comprehensive data on local, domestic and informal–both rural and
urban–markets linked to territories to improve the evidence base for
policies, including sex-disaggregated data, and incorporating this as
a regular aspect of national and international data collection systems.

We recommend transparent and fair pricing of all agricultural products
that provides full remuneration for smallholders' work and their own
investments, including rural women. Pricing policies should give
smallholders access to timely and affordable market information to
enable them to make informed decisions on what, when and where to
sell, guarding against the abuse of buyer power, particularly in
concentrated markets.

We demand public and institutional procurement programs that allow
smallholders to rely on regular and stable demand for agricultural
products at fair prices and for consumers to access healthy,
nutritious, diverse, fresh and locally produced food, including during
crises and conflicts. We want these procurement programs to service
public institutions such as schools, hospitals, prisons, homes for the
elderly and public servants' canteens, by providing food produced by
smallholders through participatory mechanisms involving them in the
process. We reiterate our calls for a permanent solution to the public
stockholding issue – considering the imbalances in the domestic
support allowances accorded to developed countries – and our
commitment to building these robust public and institutional
procurement programs.

For these to succeed, we remind national governments that they must
guarantee fair and equitable access to land, water, territory, and
biodiversity, referring them to the Voluntary Guidelines on the
Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land, Fisheries and Forests in the
Context of National Food Security.

Food is a human right and must not be treated like a simple commodity.
We call on the 2016 UNCTAD Conference to rethink how it addresses the
issue of food and its relationship to trade and development. Peasants
are at the heart of food production and what we urgently need is Food
Sovereignty – requiring the protection and renationalization of
national food markets, the promotion of local circuits of production
and consumption, the struggle for land, the defense of the territories
of indigenous peoples, and comprehensive agrarian reform — not the
false promises of Green Revolution driven input- and capital-intensive
and dependent production systems that operate under the false premise
of competitiveness that only works when it undermines the livelihoods
of farmers elsewhere.

We remind governments that they have obligations to meet when it comes
to providing quality public services required for a dignified life in
the countryside (health, education, etc.), and that these obligations
cannot be met without fair prices that protect local farmers from
profit-hungry transnational corporations (TNCs) and an international
trade system that currently only serves the interests of agribusiness
and other corporate elites. As a UN body, UNCTAD should strive to be
coherent with its other ongoing efforts, including but not limited to
the effective realization of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights. Together with allies in Nairobi, and throughout the world, we
invite all to join us in the struggle for Food Sovereignty and an end
to corporate-led "free trade" promoted through undemocratic
institutions such as the WTO.

FOOD IS A RIGHT, NOT A COMMODITY!

FOOD SOVEREIGNTY NOW!

GLOBALIZE STRUGGLE!

GLOBALIZE HOPE!

Via-info-en [at] viacampesina.org
http://viacampesina.org/Via-info-en/

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"