[E-rundbrief] Info 1493 - Iraq-war - 25 years anniversary

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Sa Jan 16 16:14:46 CET 2016

E-Rundbrief - Info 1493 - American Friends Service Committee (USA):
25th anniversary of the war in Iraq.

Bad Ischl, 16.1.2016

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

25th anniversary of the war in Iraq

Take Action: Send a letter to the editor to mark the 25th anniversary
of the war in Iraq.

Tomorrow marks 25 years since the beginning of the Iraq war on Jan.
17, 1991. We're reaching out to invite you to write a letter to the
editor of your local newspaper to highlight this painful anniversary.

In just over a month, thousands of civilians, including families
hiding in bomb shelters, had been killed as well as tens of thousands
of Iraqi troops, including those withdrawing from Kuwait. It was a
massive bombing campaign. Tremendous damage had been inflicted on
homes, businesses, and infrastructure. All while Iraq was dealing with
harsh, painful economic sanctions. A U.N. report concluded that the
impact of the war had reduced Iraq to a “pre-industrial age.”

The Gulf War sunk the hopes of many of us who thought that the end of
the Cold War, signaled by the fall of the Berlin Wall, would lead to a
new era where real peace could be possible. But once the Iraq war
started, those who opposed the war were also committed to offering
assistance to the victims, bringing a swift end to the fighting, and
looking over the horizon to address root causes that could lead to
future conflict.

Yet a quarter-century later, the war continues. The U.S. is still
bombing Iraq, and a devastating war in Syria further destabilizes the
region. As the U.S. continued its intervention and fueled violence by
transferring billions of dollars in weapons to the region, millions of
people who were harmed and displaced by the fighting were left without
support and help.

This seemingly endless cycle of war has been sold to the American
public by demonizing the other and exaggerating threats to stoke fear.
We’ve been led to believe that the only rational response to
irrational and dangerous opponents is the use of overwhelming military
force.

And what was once unacceptable is becoming acceptable. Secret prisons,
tortured detainees, assassinations, targeted killing with drones,
hundreds of millions wasted on weapons systems, and disinvestment in
diplomacy and communities here at home.

In March 2003, the American Friends Service Committee joined with
Quakers worldwide to say the choice of war “will have enormous and
tragic consequences–many as yet unimagined–for the Iraqi people, for
our nation, and for the world. It is a choice we believe was
unnecessary, immoral, and unwise.”

This position was tragically as true in 1991 as it was in 2003, and as
it is in 2016.

Today, we ask that you join us in reminding our elected officials, our
community members, and ourselves about the real human cost of war.

Send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper to mark the 25th
anniversary of the war in Iraq.

It’s time to truly end the Iraq war and begin the healing sorely
needed not only in the U.S. but also the region and the world.

In peace,

Mary Zerkel and Peter Lems

American Friends Service Committee
1501 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
http://afsc.org

Addition by Matthias Reichl, 16.1.2016:

The use of shells and bombs with DU (depleted Uranium) contaminated
with the radioactive dust not only the whole region, but even regions
in Europe and other continents for a long time, causing genetical
damages, cancer and other diseases.

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"