[E-rundbrief] Info 1425 - Internet Social Forum Call for a People's Internet - WSF 2015, Tunis

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mo Apr 6 18:38:42 CEST 2015

E-Rundbrief - Info 1425 - Internet Social Forum: Tunis Call for a
People's Internet, Draft for the workshop “Organising an Internet
Social Forum – A Call to Occupy the Internet” at the WSF/ World Social
Forum 2015 in Tunis.

Bad Ischl, 6.4.2015

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Tunis Call for a People's Internet

(Draft for the workshop “Organising an Internet Social Forum – A Call
to Occupy the Internet” at the World Social Forum 2015 in Tunis)

26.3.2015

We, participants of the Workshop “Organising an Internet Social Forum
– A Call to Occupy the Internet”, held in Tunis as part of the World
Social Forum, declare our commitment to a common goal of building a
people’s Internet from below and beyond borders: an Internet that
works in the public interest and solidarity, where control is in the
hands of people; an Internet based on human dignity, equality, social
justice, freedom and people's communication rights.

We join our voices to the Call to hold a global Internet Social Forum
as a space to debate the Internet we want and how to build it, before
the knowledge and access-to-information revolution is irretrievably
captured by corporate interests and security agencies that will deepen
the nexus of corruption between politics and money.

The Internet today has become an integral and essential part of our
daily lives; more and more of our activities are organized through and
around the virtual spaces, the networks, online services and the
technology it comprises. It has restructured the very way in which we
live, work, play and organize our societies. In many aspects, this is
so even for people who at present have no direct Internet access.

At the same time, we are alarmed to see how both our private and
public spaces are being co-opted and controlled for private gain; how
private corporations are carving the public Internet into walled
spaces; how our personal data is being manipulated and proprietised;
how a global surveillance society is emerging, with little or no
privacy; how information on the Internet is being arbitrarily
censored, and people's right to communicate curtailed; and, how the
Internet is being militarised. Meanwhile, decision-making on public
policy matters relating to the Internet remains dangerously removed
from the mechanisms of democratic governance.

We hereby launch a call to all those who share these goals to
participate in drafting a People’s Internet Manifesto over the coming
months, with the goal of seeking consensus on the basic principles
that must underpin an Internet oriented to social equity, human
solidarity and justice.

The Internet is an indispensable tool and workspace for building
social struggles and interconnections among movements. We call on
social movements and organizations gathered here in Tunis to take on
this issue as an essential part of their action agendas, including,
among others, the following goals:

We demand decisive action to curb the indiscriminate mass surveillance
being implemented by corporations, security agencies and governments.

We defend decentralization --to the greatest extent possible-- of the
Internet's technical, data and economic structures; and access to a
net-neutral Internet, as a right, which would include support for
community-owned networks and public infrastructure. We also defend the
freedom of people-to-people communication.

We are committed to harnessing the Internet revolution to build global
solidarity among people's movements, and enable them to share their
experiences globally and learn from one another.

A people's Internet must be driven first and foremost by the people.
An Internet driven by big business, hand-in-hand with big government
does not represent the public interest.  We will defend the right of
grassroots organizations and social movements, alongside other civil
society actors, to have a seat at any global negotiations on the
governance of the Internet.

www.internetsocialforum.net

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"