[E-rundbrief] Info 1340 - Israeli assault on Gaza - WRI statement

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Fr Jul 11 10:26:08 CEST 2014

E-Rundbrief - Info 1340 - War Resisters International (WRI): WRI
statement on the present Israeli assault on Gaza.

Bad Ischl, 11.7.2014

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

WRI statement on the present Israeli assault on Gaza

10.7.2014

The Assembly of the War Resisters’ International, gathered in the City
Hall of Cape Town, South Africa, strongly condemns the ongoing assault
by the Israeli military on Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank. War
Resisters’ International considers all war a crime against humanity,
and we therefore call for the immediate end of hostilities, and in
particular the repeated aggression by the State of Israel against
Palestinians.

As opponents of war, we also oppose the causes of war, and stand in
solidarity with oppressed people all over the world. We therefore call
for the end of the occupation of Palestine and—especially gathered at
the building from which Nelson Mandela made his first speech after
release from prison—we call for the end of all forms of Apartheid
everywhere.

Israel’s apologists present its bombing of Gaza, yet again, as a form
of self-defence, or as a mere response to hostilities from the other
side. But we consider that this is, rather, a well-planned, precisely
timed, assault, undertaken on the back of the dead, wounded, and
traumatised civilians on both sides for clear political purposes.

The recent truce agreement between the Fatah and Hamas raised the
possibility of a united Palestinian leadership as an adversary to
Israel in resistance and a potential partner for peace. We believe it
is this possibility that Israel is targeting with this assault, and
that it seized on an opportunity to do so presented by the murder, by
unknown assailants, of three young men from West Bank colonies. A
media campaign was launched around the murder, first presented as a
kidnapping, and this campaign provided the necessary pretext for a
concentrated attack on Hamas activists throughout the West Bank and
for breaking the terms of a relatively long-lasting truce agreement
between Israel and Hamas in Gaza. After violating the truce agreement,
Israel slowly escalated the bombings in the Gaza strip, until an
all-out assault could be carried out, seemingly justified by the
rocket fire from Gaza that Israel knowingly provoked.

We firmly believe that the most just and effective way of resistance,
even to grave violence, is nonviolent resistance. Therefore, we choose
to support those Palestinians and Israelis, as well as international
activists, that undertake nonviolent resistance to the illegal
occupation of Palestine. We do not support armed violence, whoever
uses it, but we support the right of all oppressed people to struggle
for their liberation.

We mourn all the dead and grief for all other victims of this conflict
on both sides. We call on the Israeli military and the government it
controls to immediately end this assault on Palestine and the
occupation that is its root cause.

http://wri-irg.org/Gaza

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"