[E-rundbrief] Info 1252 - Syria - political solution - no to military intervention

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Aug 29 18:56:49 CEST 2013

E-Rundbrief - Info 1252 - International initiative Peace in Syria: No
to an open military intervention - call for a political solution.

Bad Ischl, 29.9.2013

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

NO TO AN OPEN MILITARY INTERVENTION  – CALL FOR A POLITICAL SOLUTION!

With the latest use of chemical weapons the bloodshed in Syria is
about to turn into a real humanitarian disaster. Whoever are the
perpetrators and intellectual authors of this abominable crime is not
only responsible for this mass murder on the innocent population of
Ghouta but also of tens of thousands of other victims who are going to
follow if the world is no capable to stop this war.

When we, representatives of different sectors of civil societies from
all continents, started the www.peaceinsyria.org initiative under the
slogan YES TO DEMOCRACY – NO TO MILITARY INTERVENTION we could not
foresee that the nightmare of millions of Syrians could degenerate
into a humanitarian catastrophe which not only shakes the whole Middle
East, but also threatens world peace on a global level.

It is now more than ever facing the danger of an open military
intervention on both sides of the conflict that we want to call on the
international public opinion to exercise its influence in order to
prevent that the daily figures of hundreds of killed victims turn into
the worst hecatomb since World War II.  And we also want to repeat to
the Syrian political and military actors on the ground and in foreign
countries what we have said already one year ago: THERE IS NO MILITARY
SOLUTION TO THIS CONFLICT

•    Because the outside forces decided to counteract  their
adversaries are much more powerful  than those who are confronting
each other on the battle ground;

•    Because the population on either side of the political spectrum
is exhausted from suffering bombardments, torture and massive
executions like the one which happened in Ghouta;

•    Because the millions of refugees and their children have no place
anymore to go without being exposed to starvation and life endangering
illnesses;

•    Because the destruction of bodies and minds, let alone of
buildings and nature has extinguished the base for human conviviality
creating a culture of hatred and revenge.

Given all these circumstance we urge the international community of
States who has missed in the past several opportunities to engage in a
political settlement to overcome their differences and indifferences
and to put the promotion of a political solution to the Syrian
conflict as a top priority on their agendas.
In order to sort out the possibilities for this political solution the
platform www.peaceinsyria.org is organizing a Peace Conference for
Syria to be held in the near future in Austria, where different
sectors of the Syrian civil society are invited to engage in a
POLITICAL DIALOG. As an example for other likeminded initiatives this
dialog will be facilitated by some renowned personalities from
different parts of the world who always believed that there is no
alternative to a political solution of the conflict.

A POLITICAL SOLUTION WITHOUT FOREIGN MILITARY INTERVENTION IS
NECESSARY AND POSSIBLE!

To this end we call to organise word-wide protest against the imminent
attack and for a negotiated settlement!

Vienna, Athens, Paris, Rome, Mexico-City, Managua, Buenos Aires
August 26th, 2013

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"