[E-rundbrief] Info 1069 - M. White: Activism after Clicktivism

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Jan 12 15:04:22 CET 2012

E-Rundbrief - Info 1069 - Micah White (USA): Activism after
Clicktivism; A Vision of Post-Clicktivist Activism. Get innovative for
#OCCUPYWALLSTREET (Auszüge)

Bad Ischl, 12.1.2011

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Als Ergänzung zu unserer Aussendung "Kritik an Avaaz und seinen
Online-Unterschriftenkampagnen", E-Rundbrief 1068;
http://webmail.horus.at/pipermail/e-rundbrief//2012/001132.html .

Matthias Reichl

-----------------

Activism after Clicktivism

Micah White

http://www.micahmwhite.com/

17.11.2010

For more than a decade revolutionaries and culture jammers have been
paralyzed by the computer screen. Trusting the promises of technocrats
and digital visionaries, dazzled by the viral hype surrounding MoveOn
and the like, we’ve come to rely far too heavily on a particular form
of internet organizing. Believing that clicktivism could spark social
change, we deployed market-tested messaging, glitzy Ajax websites and
social networking apps. We entrusted our revolution to San Francisco
techies and put our faith in the methods of advertising. But we have
become so dependent on digital gimmicks that our revolutionary
potential is now constrained.

Clicktivism is the pollution of activism with the logic of
consumerism. Activism is debased with advertising and computer
science. What defines clicktivism is an obsession with metrics. Each
link clicked and email opened is meticulously monitored. Subject lines
are A/B tested and talking points focus-grouped. Clicktivists dilute
their messages for mass appeal and make calls to action that are easy,
insignificant and impotent. Their sole campaign objective is to
inflate participation percentages, not to overthrow the status quo. In
the end, social change is marketed like a brand of toilet paper.

The fundamental problem with this technocratic approach is that
metrics value only what is measurable. Clicktivism neglects the vital,
immeasurable inner events and personal epiphanies that great social
ruptures are actually made of. The history of revolutions attests that
upheaval is always improbable, unpredictable and risky. A few banal
pronouncements about "democracy in action" coupled with an online
petition will not usher in social transformation. As Malcolm Gladwell
put it recently, "activism that challenges the status quo – that
attacks deeply rooted problems – is not for the faint of heart."
Clicktivism reinforces the fear of standing out from the crowd and
taking a strong position. It discourages calling for drastic action.
And as such, clicktivism will never breed social revolution...

Auszug aus: http://www.clicktivism.org/

http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/93/activism-after-clicktivism.html

-----------------------

A Vision of Post-Clicktivist Activism

Get innovative for #OCCUPYWALLSTREET

Micah White , 26 Jul 2011

http://www.adbusters.org/blogs/blackspot-blog/vision-post-clicktivist-activism.html

Clicktivism is a Trojan horse, a tactical malware, deployed by a dying
American empire. What better way to cripple the revolutionary
potential of a whole generation than to embed the logic of the
marketplace within the very tools that would-be revolutionaries use?
Forget infiltrator "Anna" and the plague of agent provocateurs. The
cop we need to worry about is residing in the computer code.

If #OCCUPYWALLSTREET fails, it will be because we've blindly adopted
"best practices" put forth by wealthy Californian techies turned
reformist campaigners. Their methods now dominate the way many
organizers believe activism should be done, privileging a
data-obsessed, metrics-oriented, technocratic approach which is closer
to advertising than resistance...

Former and current MoveOn employees have colonized activism
internationally with behemoth second-generation clicktivist
organizations, like Joan Blades’s MomsRising, Eli Pariser’s Avaaz, and
Ben Brandzel’s GetUp and 38 Degrees...

How are we going to make #OCCUPYWALLSTREET happen? Not with
clicktivism... not with fancy eye candy websites... not with waiting
for others to organize for us... and not by following the tired
tactical script that hasn't worked in a decade. Instead, it is time we
risked being totally creative.

Look at #OCCUPYWALLSTREET upside down. What if it was a real world
game, played by thousands, whose sole objective was to slip past the
police lines (double points for parachuters) to touch the Wall Street
charging bull on September 17? What if it was the largest synchronized
flashmob ever organized? Or if #OCCUPYWALLSTREET was an aesthetic
experience in the heart of the financial district -- a masked ball, a
zombie walk, or a costume party in 18th century attire? No one can say
in advance what will make the occupation last. So, may it be all these
tactics and more...

Auszug aus:
http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/93/activism-after-clicktivism.html

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"