[E-rundbrief] Info 1059 - Re-occupation public space - M.L.King-Day

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mo Dez 5 11:57:13 CET 2011

E-Rundbrief - Info 1059 - Food Not Bombs (USA): A Proposal for a
coordinated RE-OCCUPATION OF PUBLIC SPACE in honor of the goals of
Martin Luther King Jr. January 13-16, 2012 - in cooperation with
"Occupy Wall Street"-non-violent-campaigns.

Bad Ischl, 5.12.2011

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

RE-OCCUPY YOUR PUBLIC SPACE ON MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.S HOLIDAY

A Proposal for a coordinated RE-OCCUPATION OF PUBLIC SPACE in honor of
the goals of Martin Luther King Jr. January 13-16, 2012

(PLEASE INTRODUCE A VERSION OF THIS PROPOSAL AT YOUR NEXT GA)

"Occupy Wall Street, on the other hand, has chosen a fixed target. And
you have put no end date on your presence here. This is wise. Only
when you stay put can you grow roots. This is crucial. It is a fact of
the information age that too many movements spring up like beautiful
flowers but quickly die off. It’s because they don’t have roots. And
they don’t have long term plans for how they are going to sustain
themselves. So when storms come, they get washed away."

Occupy Wall Street: The Most Important Thing in the World Now by Naomi
Klein - October 7, 2011

(Naomi Klein's texts see: http://www.naomiklein.org/main )

The occupation movement is the most important movement of our lives. I
get calls everyday from average middle American asking how they can
help, calling to say they are so proud of everyone, some even coming
to tears expressing that we just had to succeed.

The corporate media is seeking to claim that the police have
successfully swept away or movement but as you know this is just the
beginning. Reporters claiming that we have "moved" to walking from
town to town or other valid actions that should be supported but the
occupations are the action that is applying pressure and providing a
space for innovation and community.

We have the corporations and their governments really freighted. They
have a coordinated media and police campaign to shut us down but their
logic while effective in the short run won't work for long if we
continue to reclaim public space. Even if this means we must survive a
wave of evictions at some point there will be another critical event,
news of a national default or major bank failure, U.S. government
failing to continue unemployment payments or government shut down.
News that points to the fact that we are sliding into a great
depression and harsh austerity policies are necessary to transfer more
of our resources to the one percent. Our continued presence will
provide a visible place for those not yet living at the occupations to
join us as their personal situation changes or revulsion at the bold
disregard shown by the corporate state is so strong they feel they
must take action.

As has been the case in past years the media will start to announce
that holiday sales just weren't as good as first predicted in mid
January.  The re-writing of Martin Luther King Jr's legacy will be in
full swing as usual, this year with special effort to ignore the fact
that he would have been one of the first to sleep at Occupy Wall Street.

If there is a link it will be an attempt by the Democratic Party to
strengthen the connection between King and Obama with their special
effort to ignore the impact of Wall Street on the policies adopted or
not adopted by the president over the past four years. It is time to
dust off our copies of King's last book "Where Do We Go from Here:
Chaos or Community?" and remind America that King would most likely be
attending our General Assemblies and encouraging us to Re- Occupy
Public Space after each eviction.

What would be a more fitting way to celebrate the legacy of one of
America's most dedicated nonviolent advocates for the 99% then to
Re-Occupy Public Space during the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday?

The hundreds of Occupations that have not been evicted or have
returned can remind our communities that news of our demise was
premature. For the other occupations that have been driven from public
space we could return with large card board paintings of our tents and
spend the holiday demonstrating the absurdity of clearing public space
of our message at a time when half our people are struggling to
survive according to the U.S. Census. America is not alone as we can
see. The Euro zone is collapsing as resistance to bank bailouts
continues. The Chinese and Indian economies are teetering and
resistance is growing there as well.  People all over the world are
resisting the austerity measures proposed by the One Percent. Economic
leaders announce daily that the global economy is on the brink of
disaster. If we don't shop our way out of this crisis 2012 will be the
big end we have been promised. Or more likely the new beginning we
know is necessary.  What is more important? Clean sidewalks and
undisturbed lawns or the future of our country and the world?

Our work is not finished. We have made it clear that we must take
money out of politics and replace it with democracy. We are the lobby
of the 99%  seeking a new economic and political system even as the
current crisis continues to force our friends and family into poverty.

January's economic news and reality will dramatize the continued need
for our occupations. Lets continue to talk and introduce some of these
ideas at the next General Assembly.

A. Organize a campaign of Re-Occupation during the Martin Luther King
Jr. holiday arriving first with paintings and other "images" of tents
to challenge the logic of restrictions against tents in addition to
all other types of culture jamming actions.

B. Continue the global dialog seeking a transition from the current
failed political and economic system to a post capitalist "real"
democratic future.

C. Strengthen inter occupation communication of ideas, solutions and
calls for global days of action.

D. Consider adopting some simple guidelines such as a dedication to
nonviolence, that the food is free for everyone without restriction,
that decisions will be make by consensus at the General Assembly and
that drugs and alcohol are not to be consumed at the occupation.

E. Encourage local officials to end their efforts to drive the
occupations and tents off of public space with petitions, meetings,
participation in public hearings and all other nonviolent actions.
Remind city officials that the UN and other international
organizations support our right to continue these very important
occupations.

It is time for Obama Administration and city officials to stop their
efforts to evict our occupations. Clean pavement and healthy lawns are
not even close in importance as seeking solutions to the global crisis
and as we can see our presence occupying public space has been the
catalyst for this discussion.  We know this from first hand
experience. Decades of marches, rallies, phone calls, letters, law
suits and public comment at hearings just didn't push the debate into
public conscience.  The occupations did and will if we don't let
ourselves be pushed out of sight and out of mind. And I am sure your
local Food Not Bombs group will be happy to do what they can to
support the kitchens so don't worry about needing to eat.  We aren't
going any where.

Thanks for your consideration.
Keith McHenry

A modest proposal from Food Not Bombs co-founder Keith McHenry after
speaking with other activists about our transition and the corporate
media's attempt to clam our movement is history.  Not an official idea
from a GA but hopefully one that will be discussed at your GA. I have
been a participant in GA's, kitchens and resident of at least 15
occupations so far with more to come.

ARTICLES TO SUPPORT THE SPIRIT OF THIS PROPOSAL

Why Tents (Still) Matter for the Occupy Movement by Jen Schradie

Occupy Wall Street: The Most Important Thing in the World Now by Naomi
Klien

Top GOP Strategist Admits He’s ‘Scared’ Of Occupy Wall Street Because
It’s ‘Having An Impact’ by Zaid Jilani
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/12/01-3#.TtfFTyYTztk

U.N. Envoy: U.S. Isn't Protecting Occupy Protesters' Rights
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/02/occupy-wall-street-un-envoy_n_1125860.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref

(Naomi Klein's texts see: http://www.naomiklein.org/main )

PLEASE EMAIL US YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND FORWARD THIS PROPOSAL TO ALL YOU
FEEL MAY BE INTERESTED. AS YOUR ACTION COMMITTEES TO DRAFT A MARTIN
LUTHER KING JR. HOLIDAY PROPOSAL LIKE THIS AT YOUR NEXT GA.

http://www.foodnotbombs.net

Movie: "Inside Job"
http://www.sonyclassics.com/insidejob/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Job_%28film%29

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

--

Ausgezeichnet mit dem (österr.) "Journalismus-Preis von unten 2010"

Honoured by the (Austrian) "Journalism-Award from below 2010"