[E-rundbrief] Info 970 - Cancun is Copenhagen 2 - result

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Sa Dez 11 14:55:21 CET 2010

E-Rundbrief - Info 970 - Hermann Dworczak (A): Cancun is
Copenhagen 2 - a 'compromise' without content (a fake
result); Plurinational State of Bolivia: Bolivia Decries
Adoption of Copenhagen Accord II Without Consensus. (Press
releasse).

Bad Ischl, 11.12.2010

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

CANCUN IS COPENHAGEN 2: A " COMPROMISE " WITHOUT CONTENT

Hermann Dworczak, 11.12.2010

Cancun ended- against the hard resistance of Bolivia - with
a socalled "compromise". In reality it is a fake result. The
two adaopted texts have no real content. In a very vague
manner they say that the warming of the earth "should" not
be more than two degrees .

In the second paper again there are some words that the
industrialized countries "should" reduce their emmissions
in the future. Not even a clear decision was made that there
will be Kyoto 2. The question will be raised at COP 17 in
Durban/ South Africa again...

It is no overestimation to say: " CANCUN IS COPENHAGEN 2".

For the movements and the political left it is clear: the
fight has to gon on. It has to be broadend. The relationship
of forces has to be changed on a global level : a permanent
exchange of positions and collabarotation with progressive
governments like Bolivia is necessary.

As the mexican comrades say: " ZAPATA VIVE- LA LUCHA SIGUE".

Hermann Dworczak (Austrian Social Forum/ASF; 0043 /
676 / 972 31 10)

-------------------

Press Release

Plurinational State of Bolivia

Bolivia Decries Adoption of Copenhagen Accord II Without
Consensus

December 11, 2010 (Cancun, Mexico) - The Plurinational State
of Bolivia believes that the Cancun text is a hollow and
false victory that was imposed without consensus, and its
cost will be measured in human lives. History will judge
harshly.

There is only one way to measure the success of a climate
agreement, and that is based on whether or not it will
effectively reduce emissions to prevent runaway climate
change. This text clearly fails, as it could allow global
temperatures to increase by more than 4 degrees, a level
disastrous for humanity. Recent scientific reports show that
300,000 people already die each year from climate
change-related disasters. This text threatens to increase
the number of deaths annually to one million. This is
something we can never accept.

Last year, everyone recognized that Copenhagen was a failure
both in process and substance. Yet this year, a deliberate
campaign to lower expectations and desperation for any
agreement has led to one that in substance is little more
than Copenhagen II.

A so-called victory for multilateralism is really a victory
for the rich nations who bullied and cajoled other nations
into accepting a deal on their terms. The richest nations
offered us nothing new in terms of emission reductions or
financing, and instead sought at every stage to backtrack on
existing commitments, and include every loophole possible to
reduce their obligation to act.

While developing nations - those that face the worst
consequences of climate change - pleaded for ambition, we
were instead offered the “realism” of empty gestures.
Proposals by powerful countries like the US were sacrosanct,
while ours were disposable. Compromise was always at the
expense of the victims, rather than the culprits of climate
change. When Bolivia said we did not agree with the text in
the final hours of talks, we were overruled. An accord where
only the powerful win is not a negotiation, it is an imposition.

Bolivia came to Cancun with concrete proposals that we
believed would bring hope for the future. These proposals
were agreed by 35,000 people in an historic World People’s
Conference Cochabamba in April 2010. They seek just
solutions to the climate crisis and address its root causes.
In the year since Copenhagen, they were integrated into the
negotiating text of the parties, and yet the Cancun text
systematically excludes these voices. Bolivia cannot be
convinced to abandon its principles or those of the peoples
we represent. We will continue to struggle alongside
affected communities worldwide until climate justice is
achieved.

Bolivia has participated in these negotiations in good faith
and the hope that we could achieve an effective climate
deal. We were prepared to compromise on many things, except
the lives of our people. Sadly, that is what the world’s
richest nations expect us to do. Countries may try to
isolate us for our position, but we come here in
representation of the peoples and social movements who want
real and effective action to protect the future of humanity
and Mother Earth. We feel their support as our guide.
History will be the judge of what has happened in Cancun.

**********

PLURINATIONAL GOVERNMENT OF BOLIVIA IN CANCUN

Megan Morrissey
megan.morrissey at gmail.com
9981080776

http://boliviaun.net
http://cmpcc.org
http://twitter.com/boliviaun

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit