[E-rundbrief] Info 968 - Cancun Climate Conference manifestations

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mi Dez 8 10:27:19 CET 2010

E-Rundbrief - Info 968 - Hermann Dworczak (A): Thousands
demonstrated in Cancun (Mexico); La Via Campesina International:
ALBA Governments Join La Via Campesina to Denounce Elite
Climate Talks; Cochabamba People’s Agreement is the peoples’
solution to the Climate Crisis.

Bad Ischl, 8.12.2010

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

THOUSANDS DEMONSTRATED IN CANCUN

Cancun,  Dec. 7th, 2010

Thousands  participated today Tuesday in a big international
manifestation ( "demo" ) and criticized exploitation and the
destruction of nature (" mother earth" ) through the
capitalist model of production and consumption.  The march
started at 10h and went for more than three hours through
the center of Cancun.

The march had a lot of social and political currents. At the
peak of the demo were campesinos of the region who protested
against the existing agricultural system and demanded a
fundamental change. They remembered the fight of the mexican
revolution : "Zapata vive- lucha sigue" ("Zapata lives - the
fight is going on").

They were followed by musicans wearing traditional costumes.

A lot of ambientalistas from Mexico and other Latin American
countries - like Guatemala or Ecuador - were present.

One group came from the mexican trade union of the telefon
workers.

Greenpeace was with an ice bear present- putting the finger
on the danger when the polar ice is melting.

Many groups criticized the carbon trade and the selling of
land to multis in the name of " saving nature ".

The international participation was astonishing: there were
comrades from China (!) who argued that there is "only one
planet " and criticized the policy of the chinese goverment.
People came  from USA and Canada who supported the idea of
the cumbre de los pueblos in  Cochabamba in this spring to
make referenda- so that the peoples themselves and not the
governments can decide about ecological measures.

 From Europe I could see participants from France ( Attac),
Germany ( Friends of the Earth) and Austria ( Austrian
Social Forum/ ASF).

The general mood of the manifestation was : not to wait what
was going on in the Moon Palace where the official summit
COP 16 is located; and that is not enough to make some
modest " green modifications". That not nothing less than a
" SYSTEM CHANGE" is necessary.

The march could even be broader. But Via campaesina decided
to make its own manifestation.

Hermann Dworczak ( Austrian Social Forum/ ASF; 0043 / 676 /
972 31 10 )

Press release - La Via Campesina

ALBA Governments Join La Via Campesina to Denounce Elite
Climate Talks;

Cochabamba People’s Agreement is the peoples’ solution to
the Climate Crisis

(Cancún, 7 December 2010) La Via Campesina, the world’s
largest movement of peasant and smallholder farmers, joined
with Pablo Solon, Bolivia’s Ambassador to the United
Nations, Tom Goldtooth of the Indigenous Environmental
Network, Ricardo Navarro of Friends of the Earth
International and a number of social movement
representatives and government officials from the ALBA
countries at COP 16 in Cancún today to condemn the false
solutions and backroom deals being pushed in the
negotiations, and to call for mobilizations and actions
worldwide for climate solutions based in traditional
indigenous knowledge, community-based practices, human
rights and the rights of nature.

The group held a press conference in the Moon Palace, the
opulent resort where the tense and difficult climate
convention have moved into the high level phase of
negotiations this week. The press conference ended with Luis
Henrique Moura of MST, the landless workers’ movement of
Brazil, leading the group in the chant “Globalize the
struggle, globalize hope!” The group then all walked out of
the building with youth from the U.S.-based Grassroots
Global Justice Alliance leading chants of “No REDD, no REDD!”

  “We have called for 1,000 Cancuns around the world today,”
said Josie Riffaud of La Via Campesina, referring to the
need for grassroots communities to take the lead in
proposing solutions to the ecological crisis. “The first of
these took place this morning inside the Moon Palace.”

  Anne Petermann of Global Justice Ecology Project opened
the event by evoking the name of Lee Kyung Hae, the South
Korean farmer and La Via Campesina member who took his life
during mobilizations against the World Trade Organization
here in 2003 wearing a sign saying “The WTO Kills Farmers.”

“Then we were fighting against the World Trade
Organization,” Petermann said. “Today we have to fight the
World Carbon Trade Organization,” said Petermann.

  “We see that the Mexican government is attempting to get
an agreement out of Cancun, but with the spirit of
Copenhagen, both in the process and in the content,” said
Ricardo Navarro of Friends of the Earth International. “We
are bearing witness to parallel meetings and secret
negotiations.”

Mari Rose Taruc of the Asia Pacific Environmental Network
spoke about the 1,000 Cancuns happening in the United
States. “We have actions and events in over 30 states in the
U.S. organized by people suffering impacts of pollution and
climate change.”

Representatives of ALBA countries also expressed their
solidarity with the people and condemned the moves of
developed countries to avoid their historical responsibility
and climate debt. “There is a lot of talk here in Cancun
about money, about chainsaws and about plantations but there
is little talk about forests or about the real work of the
people who confront climate change everyday.” said Miguel
Lovera, Chief Adviser of Paraguay. Paul Oquin, Head of the
Nicaraguan delegation publicly expressed the support of
Nicaragua and the ALBA countries to La Via Campesina and all
the social movements in their struggle.

On the steps of the Moon Palace, together with the social
movement representatives, Bolivian Ambassador Pablo Solon
stated that what is most important is the struggle of the
people and their demands for real solutions to climate
change. “If the temperature increases to 4 degrees Celsius
as we are seeing it now in the negotiations, we are going to
see hundreds of thousands of people die. Every year, 300,000
people die because of natural disasters caused by climate
change. This will grow to millions if we do not have, here,
a real agreement, instead of a Cancun-hagen”.

The press conference and action that followed was
coordinated with a march of 5000 people in the streets
outside led by La Via Campesina. Social movement and civil
society representatives together with Bolivian Ambassador
Pablo Solon and Chief Paraguayan Adviser Miguel Lovera then
went outside to join the small farmers, indigenous people,
women, environmentally affected peoples, environmental
organizations and other social movements and activists who
marched for hours in the Mexican sun, culminating in a
People’s Assembly in the street.

“Today, there were 1,000 Cancuns all over the world and with
this we are sending the message to the governments inside
the negotiations that the people have 1,000 solutions to the
climate crisis that uphold the rights of the people and
Mother Earth,” stated Carlos Marentes of La Via Campesina.

CONTACTS

Alfredo Acedo: +55 39430712

Jeff Conant: +52 998 1657349

--

La Via Campesina

Via Campesina is an international movement of peasants,
small- and medium-sized producers, landless, rural women,
indigenous people, rural youth and agricultural workers. We
are an autonomous, pluralist and multicultural movement,
independent of any political, economic, or other type of
affiliation. Born in 1993, La Via Campesina now gathers
about 150 organisations in 70 countries in Asia, Africa,
Europe, and the Americas.

International Operational Secretariat:
Jln. Mampang Prapatan XIV no 5 Jakarta Selatan, Jakarta
12790 Indonesia
Tel/fax: +62-21-7991890/+62-21-7993426
Email: viacampesina at viacampesina.org

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit