[E-rundbrief] Info 942 - ESF 06 Istanbul documentation - peace

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Fr Jul 30 11:45:31 CEST 2010

E-Rundbrief - Info 942 - Tord Björk (Friends of the Earth Sweden):
Documentation of the 6th European Social Forum in Istanbul, July 2010;
Assembly-declaration on Peace and War. (Schlusserklärung des 6. Europäischen
Sozialforums (ESF) in Istanbul, 4.7.2010 and declaration on System
change, not climate change!... see/ siehe Info 934).

Bad Ischl, 30.7.2010

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

You will find a panoramapicture with the many hundreds participating at the
Assembly of Social Movements in Istanbul at:

http://www.aktivism.info/socialforumjourney

including the final declaration and all statements from the networks
illustrated with photos from ESF. They are not all published yet on
the fse-esf web site.

Yours

Tord Björk

Friends of the Earth Sweden

--------------------

ESF-6: Peace and war

Assembly
Peace and War
6th ESF Istanbul, 3rd  July 2010

The war and peace assembly denounces that at a time of economic crisis,
European states are increasing their military budgets and trade of
weapons. The European Union  is not the “soft power” it meant to be. To
protect peace and social needs, we call peace and antiwar movements to
join the trade unions protest on the 29th of September.

We support the Week of Action against the NATO summit of 15-21 November
2010 in Lisbon in order to oppose the new NATO strategy that is a major
obstacle to achieving world peace. We call for an immediate end of the
war in Afghanistan and the withdrawal of the troops, and we are ready to
mobilize for the tragic anniversary of the invasion on 8-9 October.

The assembly strongly supports the mobilization of Kurdish and Turkish
movements for a peaceful and democratic solution of the Kurdish issue,
there is no military way out of the conflict. We stand in solidarity
with the Kurdish elected representatives that will be on trial on 18
October for simply defending human rights of their people.

The military occupation of Cyprus should come to an end, to allow
peaceful life on the island.
We urge for a peaceful Caucasus and invite everybody to participate in
the peace conference in June 2011 in Tbilissi.

We mourn the loss of those killed by the Israeli military while trying
to break the illegal siege of Gaza and call for accountability of those
responsible. This assembly stands in solidarity with the Palestinian
people and the Israeli movements for justice for Palestinians and
endorses the Palestinian civil society call for a campaign of boycott,
divestment and sanctions (BDS) against Israel until it complies with
Palestinian rights based on international law. We call for an escalation
of coordinated campaigns against institutions and companies complicit
with Israeli violations of Palestinian rights, of the complicity of
European governments with Israeli impunity and the EU-Israel Association
Agreement. The whole region needs to be denuclearized, as stated again
in the NPT conference, and Mordechai Vanunu deserves freedom and honour
for his courage to reveal the Israeli nuclear arsenal.

The European Social Forum, that was a fundamental space to organize the
huge 2003 mobilization against the war in Iraq, does not forget the
suffering of Iraqi people and supports its human rights groups, unions
and social movements through the Iraqi Civil Society Solidarity
Initiative that will meet in Paris in the first week of December.

The assembly supports actions and campaigns to stop private military and
security companies, and campaigns against the militarization of European
borders, such as the week of mobilization against Frontex on 27-31
August in Greece and actions in Bruxelles on 24 September - 3 October.

All these causes and campaigns will be celebrated in the International
Day of Peace, 21 September, and in the Thematic Social Forum for a
Culture of Peace in Santiago de Compostela on 9-12 December, for the
global demilitarization, denuclearization of economies and societies.

http://www.aktivism.info/socialforumjourney/?p=1697

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit