[E-rundbrief] Info 844 - Peace Boat to Gaza-Team verhaftet - 29.7.09

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mi Jul 1 10:39:49 CEST 2009

E-Rundbrief - Info 844 - Matthias Reichl: Das Team des
Peace-Boat-to-Gaza mit ihrem Schiff von Israels Kriegsmarine am 29.6.09
verhaftet; Free Gaza.org: Two messages from the ship "Spirit of
Humanity" 29./ 30.6.2009.

Bad Ischl, 1.7.2009

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Peace Boat to Gaza-Team mit ihrem Schiff von Israels Kriegsmarine am
29.6.09 verhaftet.

Der zweite Versuch der Initiative "Peace Boat to Gaza" in diesem Jahr,
mit dem Schiff "Spirit of Humanity" humanitäre Hilfsgüter, Olivenbäume
und Zement nach Gaza zu bringen, wurde durch israelische Kriegsschiffe
wieder verhindert.

Das Schiff wurde von der Kriegsmarine am 29.6.09 in internationalen
Gewässern vor der Küste von Gaza eingekreist, ihre Navigationstechnik
zerstört und schließlich in den isrealischen Hafen Ashdod geschleppt.
Die 21 Aktivisten und Journalisten aus 11 Ländern - darunter auch aus
Palästina und arabischen Ländern - wurden verhaftet. (Das ist der Stand
von 1.7.09, 10:30.)

Ursprünglich sollte auch ein zweites Schiff fahren, auf dem auch
Waltraud Schauer, eine Aktivistin von "Frauen in Schwarz, Wien",
mitgefahren wäre.

Das Schiff "Dignity", das im Jänner 09 die Seeblockade um Gaza brechen
wollte, wurde damals von israelischen Militärs so schwer beschädigt,
dass es schließlich mit den Hilfgütern vor einem libanesischen Hafen
gesunken ist.

Die Homepage www.freegaza.org informiert laufend über die weiteren
Entwicklungen und ruft zu Protesten bei den israelischen Behörden auf.
Über eine wirksame Intervention beim US-Außenministerium berichtet Donna
Baranski-Walker und ruft dazu auf, auch bei Kongress-Mitgliedern anzurufen:

"My contact at the U.S. State Department returned my call 40 minutes ago
to say that they are in touch with the Israeli government and have been
since the boat was surrounded some 6 hours ago. Overall, our State
Department seeks to assure the safety of all on board and would like to
see the boat get through as it is carrying humanitarian relief and
cement to the people of Gaza, specifically aiding non-governmental
organizations."

Matthias Reichl

--------------------------------

Die letzten zwei Meldungen vom Schiff "Spirit of Humanity" - postet on
www.freegaza.org:

29.6.09 [23 miles off the coast of Gaza, 15:30pm] - Today Israeli
Occupation Forces attacked and boarded the Free Gaza Movement boat, the
SPIRIT OF HUMANITY, abducting 21 human rights workers from 11 countries,
including Noble laureate Mairead Maguire and former U.S. Congresswoman
Cynthia McKinney (see below for a complete list of passengers). The
passengers and crew are being forcibly dragged toward Israel.

"This is an outrageous violation of international law against us. Our
boat was not in Israeli waters, and we were on a human rights mission to
the Gaza Strip," said Cynthia McKinney, a former U.S. Congresswoman and
presidential candidate. "President Obama just told Israel to let in
humanitarian and reconstruction supplies, and that's exactly what we
tried to do. We're asking the international community to demand our
release so we can resume our journey."

According to an International Committee of the Red Cross report released
yesterday, the Palestinians living in Gaza are "trapped in despair."
Thousands of Gazans whose homes were destroyed earlier during Israel's
December/January massacre are still without shelter despite pledges of
almost $4.5 billion in aid, because Israel refuses to allow cement and
other building material into the Gaza Strip. The report also notes that
hospitals are struggling to meet the needs of their patients due to
Israel's disruption of medical supplies.

"The aid we were carrying is a symbol of hope for the people of Gaza,
hope that the sea route would open for them, and they would be able to
transport their own materials to begin to reconstruct the schools,
hospitals and thousands of homes destroyed during the onslaught of "Cast
Lead". Our mission is a gesture to the people of Gaza that we stand by
them and that they are not alone" said fellow passenger Mairead Maguire,
winner of a Noble Peace Prize for her work in Northern Ireland.

Just before being kidnapped by Israel, Huwaida Arraf, Free Gaza Movement
chairperson and delegation co-coordinator on this voyage, stated that:
"No one could possibly believe that our small boat constitutes any sort
of threat to Israel. We carry medical and reconstruction supplies, and
children's toys. Our passengers include a Nobel peace prize laureate and
a former U.S. congressperson. Our boat was searched and received a
security clearance by Cypriot Port Authorities before we departed, and
at no time did we ever approach Israeli waters."

Arraf continued, "Israel's deliberate and premeditated attack on our
unarmed boat is a clear violation of international law and we demand our
immediate and unconditional release."

----------------------------------

Call off your attack dogs - Cynthia McKinney

---------------------------

Dienstag, 30. Juni 2009 um 01:15 Uhr Geschrieben von: Free Gaza Team

We just spoke to the passengers. Everyone is OK, but the situation is
still very tense. They continue to be surrounded by Israeli warships
which are threatening to open fire. The Israeli Navy is actively jamming
all navigation systems in violation of international maritime law,
endangering the people on board.

Former U.S. Congresswoman, Cynthia McKinney, speaking from on board the
SPIRIT, stated, "I am extremely angry. We demand that the Israeli
government call off their attack dogs. We are unarmed civilians aboard
an unarmed boat delivering medical and reconstruction aid to other human
beings in Gaza. Why in God's name would Israel want to attack us and
threaten our safety and welfare. I call on President Obama and the
international community to intervene now to prevent this situation from
escalating with potentially drastic results to the civilians on board."

Since the boat's navigation equipment is being jammed, it has turned
westward in order to stay in international waters.The Captain and crew
are working from the most ancient of navigation equipment...the compass
to stay clear of Israeli waters.

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit