[E-rundbrief] Info 736 - Amy Goodman journalist - RLA 2008

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
So Okt 5 12:00:42 CEST 2008

E-Rundbrief - Info 736 - Amy Goodman (USA), grassroots journalist of
Democracy Now! honoured by "Alternative Nobel Price 2008" - for
"...independent grassroots political journalism that brings to millions
of people the alternative voices that are often excluded by the
mainstream media..." (Siehe auch Info 734)

Bad Ischl, 5.10.2008

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Amy Goodman First Journalist to Win "Alternative Nobel"

October 01, 2008

New York City, NY -- Award-winning journalist and host of Democracy Now!
Amy Goodman is the first journalist to receive the Right Livelihood
Award, widely recognized as the world's premier award for personal
courage and social transformation. The annual prize, also known as the
Alternative Nobel, will be awarded in the Swedish Parliament on December
8, 2008.

The Right Livelihood Award was established in 1980 to honor and support
those "offering practical and exemplary answers to the most urgent
challenges facing us today". Goodman has been selected for "developing
an innovative model of truly independent grassroots political journalism
that brings to millions of people the alternative voices that are often
excluded by the mainstream media."

Pioneering the largest public media collaboration in the country,
Democracy Now! is a daily grassroots, global TV/radio/internet news hour
airing on more than 750 public radio and television stations and at
democracynow.org.

Goodman said, "I am deeply honored that grassroots, independent
journalism and the hard work of my colleagues at Democracy Now! are
being recognized in these critical times. I strongly believe that media
can be a force for peace. It is the responsibility of journalists to
give voice to those who have been forgotten, forsaken and beaten down by
the powerful. It is the best reason I know to carry our pens, cameras
and microphones out into the world. The media should be a sanctuary for
dissent. It is our job to go to where the silence is."

Goodman and two Democracy Now! producers were arrested last month at the
Republican National Convention while reporting on street demonstrations.
Charges were dropped after widespread public outcry. The video of
Goodman's arrest was among the most watched YouTube video's during the
convention week. It has now been viewed over 860,000 times.

Amy Goodman writes a weekly syndicated column with King Features which
runs in major newspapers throughout North and South America. She is
co-author with her brother, journalist David Goodman, of three New York
Times bestsellers: Standing Up To the Madness: Ordinary Heroes in
Extraordinary Times; Static: Government Liars, Media Cheerleaders, and
the People Who Fight Back; and The Exception to the Rulers: Exposing
Oily Politicians, War Profiteers, and the Media That Love Them.

Goodman's reporting on East Timor and Nigeria won the George Polk Award,
the Robert F. Kennedy Prize for International Reporting, and the Alfred
I. DuPont-Columbia Award. Her other awards include the first ever
Communication for Peace Award presented by the World Association of
Christian Communication, the Puffin/Nation Institute Award for Creative
Citizenship, The Paley Center for Media "She Made It" Award, and the
Gracie Award for American Women in Radio and Television Public
Broadcasting. Goodman has also received awards from the Associated
Press, United Press International, and the Corporation for Public
Broadcasting...

For more information about the 2008 Right Livelihood Award, please visit
www.rightlivelihood.org.

CONTACT:
Jessica Cox, Democracy Now!
T: 212 431-9090 x806
E: media at democracynow.org

Birgit Jaeckel, Right Livelihood Foundation
T: +46 8 70 20 339
E: press at rightlivelihood.org

www.democracynow.org/blog/2008/10/1/amy_goodman_first_journalist_to_win_alternative_nobel

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit