[E-rundbrief] Info 679 - Susan George: Europe and the Lisbon Treaty

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Mai 22 21:24:22 CEST 2008

E-Rundbrief - Info 679 - Susan George (F): Europe deserves much better
than the Lisbon Treaty.

Bad Ischl, 22.5.2008

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Europe deserves much better than the Lisbon Treaty

May 22, 2008 12:55 | by Susan George

European history provides a showcase of human beings at their worst.
Constant conflict, the two bloodiest wars ever waged, famine, brutal
industrialisation, oppression of workers and women, religious strife,
colonialism, fascism, communism - all these stain our past. But Europe
also represents the best humankind has accomplished, giving the world
the Renaissance, the Enlightenment, a constant struggle for
emancipation, democracy and the separation of powers, the welfare state
- not to mention universally recognised cultural contributions from
Greek drama to Finnegans Wake , from the symphony orchestra to Irish
folksong.

Born in the United States and a citizen of France, I am a fervent
European. At this point in history, I believe only Europe can provide
all its citizens with democratic government, dignified living standards,
greater social equality, public services, universal healthcare and
education. This small continent, with just 15 per cent of the world's
people, can lead the way towards ecological sanity and a liveable planet
and prove nations can overcome even the most tenacious hatreds and live
together in peace. Europe can be a counter-model to the myriad
brutalities, affinity for war and stupendous inequalities on display
elsewhere.

For these and other reasons, I voted no to the deeply flawed,
undemocratic European constitution in May 2005. Had the French
government not confiscated the people's right to another referendum, I
would have voted no again to the Lisbon ("Reform") Treaty - a clone of
the rejected constitution, except for "cosmetic changes" making it
"easier to swallow", as Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, principal author of
the constitution, said. No flag, no Beethoven hymn, but the rest is
there as Angela Merkel, José Manuel Barroso, Bertie Ahern and other
relieved European notables all agreed.

The treaty contains no substantive changes. It's just much harder to
understand, worse even than the immensely complex constitution. Now we
must deal with two European treaties (Rome, 1957, and Maastricht, 1992,
with their subsequent revisions) to which Lisbon adds 145 pages of
amendments plus 132 more pages of 12 protocols and 51 declarations, all
legally binding, all superseding every law of the 27 member states.

There is no single text - you must cut, paste and collate the hundreds
of pages for yourself. The very least one should require of a treaty
that will dictate at least 80 per cent of all future legislation
throughout Europe is that it be comprehensible. But complexity can be an
effective weapon against democracy. Let us recall what commission
vice-president Gunter Verheugen said after the French and Dutch No
votes: "We must not give in to blackmail." So much for universal
suffrage and popular sovereignty.

There are a few beneficial changes to the defunct constitution. The new
treaty gives the European Parliament, the only elected body, marginally
more power to co-decide on legislation, although it still cannot
initiate legislation.

However, the unelected European Commission remains all-powerful,
particularly in crucial areas such as trade. A new article specifies the
European goal of "integration of all countries into the world economy
through the suppression of barriers to international trade". Already
trade commissioner Peter Mandelson is pushing for European corporate
penetration in even the poorest countries, defining "barriers" as any
government measure regulating foreign investment, public procurement,
environmental or consumer protection.

The European Central Bank gets an even more iron-clad statute of
independence from political supervision; its mandate remains control of
inflation with no mention of full employment. The "market" (63 mentions
in the text) remains the supreme good and "competition" (25 mentions)
the overarching rule. Public services are specifically subjected to
competition: government subsidies or other forms of support will become
more precarious. European-wide social policies will require unanimous
approval - this is a euphemism for a race to the bottom. The Charter of
Fundamental Rights is inferior to most existing European constitutions.

Common security and defence policy places Europe firmly under the
tutelage of Nato "which remains the foundation of the collective defence
of its members". We are signing on blindfolded for whatever Nato's
future policies may be - we only know for sure the US will remain in
command. The treaty also obliges members to "progressively increase
their military capacities".

This Lisbon Treaty is a model of failed neo-liberal economic nostrums
and misplaced confidence in the market and competition as universal
panaceas. Europeans deserve better, beginning with an elected convention
for drafting a constitution, time for full debate and a popular
ratification process.

Europe has now surpassed the US as the wealthiest political entity. We
can afford to retain and perfect the European social model, provide a
decent livelihood for all and undertake a swift conversion to an
ecological economy; we can afford to embody the ideal of the common
good. Not to demand all this and more is a betrayal of whatever is best
in our history. This may be Europe's last chance.

Susan George is a Fellow and Chair of the Board of the Transnational
Institute, on the website of which this first appeared. Her latest books
are La Pensée enchaînée: Comment les droites laïque et religieuse se
sont emparées de l'Amérique [Fayard, 2007], to be published in English
as: Hijacking America: How the Religious and Secular Right Changed What
Americans Think [Forthcoming, Polity Press 2008], and We the peoples of
Europe [Pluto Press, 2008].

See also http://www.spectrezine.org/europe/wurtz11.htm

Aus "Spectrezine", http://www.spectrezine.org/europe/george7.htm

--

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit