[E-rundbrief] Info 604 - Mediterranean Antinuclear Coaltion

matthias reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Okt 11 17:33:10 CEST 2007

E-Rundbrief - Info 604 - Mediterranean No Nuclear
Neighbourhood - MN3, A new Mediterranean
Antinuclear Coaltion is to born; Declaration 1.10.2007 (in Rhodos, Greece).

Bad Ischl, 11.10.2007

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Mediterranean No Nuclear Neighbourhood  MN3

A new Mediterranean Antinuclear Coaltion is to born

01/10/2007

DECLARATION

We, the Organizations from 9 countries of the
wider area of the Mediterranean gathered in
Rhodes, September 27 - 29, 2007, and signed the
Protocol of Cooperation for the Creation of the
Mediterranean No Nuclear Neighbourhood (MN3),
address the citizens of our countries with a
hopeful dream. We gathered here to exchange
views, experience but above all to express our
sound will to coordinate our actions to counter
the nuclear threat in our region, to solidify our
common belief that, yes, we can successfully
claim a new perspective for the environment, our life and the whole Planet.

The Network seeks to engage at the level of ideas
with the growing climate change movement so as to increase common awareness.

Climate has already changed, Life is threatened
by the overheat of Planet, oil price has reach
new high levels and there is an effort to
convince us that turning to nuclear power is a
safe way to have a chance against global warming.
«You don’t fight back malaria with plague» stated
the President of Francophones’ Parliament of
Belgium, Mr. Christos Doulkeridis, last year in
Rhodes. Nuclear energy is not a convincing answer
to the energy problems, especially in a region
with a large seismicity such ours. The recent
accident to the largest nuclear plant of the
world in Japan, a technological metropolis which
spends huge amounts of money for safety, reminded
us of the risks. Nuclear energy is not a
convincing answer in such an unstable
geopolitically period as the one we are facing
today. There are alternatives, well known to
everybody, and all it is outmost necessity for
society to press towards the governments and
decision makers to change their views and actions on the problem.

Furthermore, new plans dealing with ”defensive”
nuclear weapons along with the doctrine of
short-range nuclear wars are expected to launch a
new arms race, a riskful dead-end, a point to no
return. At the dawn of the 21st century, the
major nuclear powers led by USA, are possessed by
a fear syndrome, which makes them impose the
nuclear war as a «rational» solution to face all sort of demons.

Taking all these under consideration, we have
reasons to worry and get mobilized.

We have also reasons to be optimistic that our
coordinated action in the area sets the premises
to encounter these developments from a better standing.

We agree that:

We will all together monitor and publish recent
developments on the ground of nuclear weapons,
nuclear power reactors and generally any sector of industrial nuclear activity.

We will all together promote the Renewable and
Environment-friendly Sources of Energy and the
institution of measures for energy preservation,
along with the forming of new consumer standards,
these matters being strongly connected to the
future of the planet and humanity.

We will all together inform, sensitize and
motivate the citizens towards the substantive
cause of the abolition of the nuclear threat
against Life, Peace and the Environment.

We will all together claim our neighborhood to be
transferred to a Nuclear-Free Zone of Peace.

Specifically we call for:

1. The United Nations to form a multilateral
action committee for the establishment of Middle
East Zone free from nuclear, chemical, biological
and all weapons of mass destruction. Every
efficient pressure to be exerted toward Israel -
the only Middle Eastern state with an atomic
arsenal  in order to sign and ratify the Non
Proliferation Treaty and accepting transparency
by opening its clandestine nuclear facilities to
international inspections and supervision by
International Organizations. Such an action could
possibly lead to the de-escalation of the tension
and the withdrawal of the Iranian nuclear
program, Iran being member of a Middle East Free
Zone, given the hypocritical and rashful attitude
of the larger nuclear powers on the matter. The
only perspective for Peace to the region is the
prohibition of all weapons of mass destruction
including nuclear, biological, chemical and any other type.

2. Efforts to be heightened towards the
prevention of installation of two nuclear
reactors, of a new and non tested type, at
Belene, Bulgaria, which are being built without
following the procedures provided by the
International Treaties on the environmental
impact, on a cross-border level. International
mobilization to prevent International
Organizations and Banks from funding the project
has already been proved effective and must keep going on.

3. Stronger efforts towards the prevention of the
realization of any nuclear project in Turkey,
concerning any nuclear power plants, as well as
towards the removal of US nuclear weapons both
from Turkish, Greek and Italian territories.

4. International initiatives on preventing new
nuclear projects in Romania, Egypt and Ukraine to
be launched. Especially for Ukraine, it’s a
totally irrational move to plan the building of
22 new nuclear reactors in a country that is
suffering so much as a result to the Chernobyl Disaster.

5. The restriction of usage of coal, petroleum,
gas as they cause climate change and are a large
threat to the environment. We support energy
efficiency, energy conservation and the use of
renewable energy sources to counter this problem.

Our ultimate goal is the creation of a globally
spread antinuclear movement which will unite the
hundreds of antinuclear movements and
organizations to a resonant fight. It is the only
hope against twisted and dangerous minds that
lead the planet to its destruction. The creation
of the Mediterranean No Nuclear Neighbourhood is a step towards that cause.

In our way of thinking «short-range nuclear wars»
have no place or rationality. We question the
right of any country to hold nuclear technology.
We know that many governments share our thoughts.
However, we cannot count just on declarations. We
demand political initiatives, specific actions to
reduce the tension, minimize the possibilities of
wars and ecological destructions. We need a Safe
Peaceful World with no discriminations and poverty, no famine and distress.

We commit to fight with all our strength, faith,
devotion, support and solidarity among us, in order to achieve our goals.

Temporary contacts :

info at manw.org

andre.lariviere at sortirdunucleaire.fr

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit
Center for Encounter and active Non-Violence
Wolfgangerstr. 26, A-4820 Bad Ischl, Austria,
fon: +43 6132 24590, Informationen/ informations,
Impressum in: http://www.begegnungszentrum.at
Spenden-Konto Nr. 0600-970305 (Blz. 20314)
Sparkasse Bad Ischl, Geschäftsstelle Pfandl
IBAN: AT922031400600970305 BIC: SKBIAT21XXX