[E-rundbrief] Info 575 - Avnerys warning to Tony Blair

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
So Jul 29 23:04:51 CEST 2007

E-Rundbrief - Info 575 - Uri Avnery (Gush Shalom,
Israel): A Warning to Tony (Blair). The
difference between the negotiators James
Wolfensohn and Paul Wolfowitz (both from USA).

Bad Ischl, 29.7.2007

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

A Warning to Tony

Uri Avnery's Column

28/07/07

LAST WEEK, James Wolfensohn gave a long interview
to Haaretz. He poured out his heart and summed
up, with amazing openness, his months as special
envoy of the US, Russia, the EU and the UN (the
"Quartet") in this country - the same job
entrusted now to Tony Blair. The interview could
have been entitled "A Warning to Tony".

Among other revelations, he disclosed that he was
practically fired by the clique of Neo-cons,
whose ideological leader is Paul Wolfowitz.

What Wolfensohn and Wolfowitz have in common is
that both are Jews and have the same name: Son of
Wolf, one in the German version and the other in
the Russian one. Also, both are past chiefs of the World Bank.

But that's where the similarity ends. These two
sons of the wolf are opposites in almost all
respects. Wolfensohn is an attractive person, who
radiates personal charm. Wolfowitz arouses almost
automatic opposition. This was made clear when
they served, successively, at the World Bank:
Wolfensohn was very popular, Wolfowitz was hated.
The term of the first was renewed, a rare
accolade, the second was got rid of at the
earliest opportunity, ostensibly because of a
corruption affair: he had arranged an astronomical salary for his girl-friend.

Wolfensohn could be played by Peter Ustinov. He
is a modern Renaissance man: successful
businessman, generous philanthropist, former
Olympic sportsman (fencing) and Air Force officer
(Australia). In middle age he took up the cello
(under the influence of Jacqueline du Pre). The
role of Wolfowitz demands no more finesse than
that of the average gunman in a western.

But beyond personal traits, there is a profound
ideological chasm between them. To me, they
personify the two opposite extremes of
contemporary Jewish reality. Wolfensohn belongs
to the humanist, universal, optimistic,
world-embracing trend in Judaism, a man of peace
and compromise, an heir to the wisdom of
generations. Wolfowitz, at the other end, belongs
to the fanatical Judaism that has grown up in the
State of Israel and the communities connected
with it, a man of overbearing arrogance, hatred
and intoxication of power. He is a radical
nationalist, even if it is not quite clear
whether it is American or Israeli nationalism, or
if he even distinguishes between the two.

Wolfowitz is a standard-bearer of the neo-cons,
most of them Jews, who pushed the US into the
Iraqi morass, promote wars all over the Middle
East, advise the Israeli Prime Minister not to
give up anything and are ready to fight to the last Israeli soldier.

To avoid misunderstanding: I don't know either of
the two personally. I have never seen Wolfowitz
in person, and heard Wolfensohn only once, at a
Jerusalem meeting of the Israeli Council for
Foreign Relations. I admit that I liked him on sight.

WOLFENSOHN ARRIVED in this country some months
before the "separation plan" of Ariel Sharon. He
says now that the separation would have succeeded
"if the withdrawal had been accompanied by the
second part of the separation, which, according
to my understanding, would have created an
independent entity that would become a
Palestinian state." He believes (mistakenly, I
think) that this was the intent of Sharon, whom,
unlike his successor as Prime Minister, he respects.

Wolfensohn envisioned a blooming Gaza Strip,
flourishing economically, open in all directions,
a model to the West Bank and a basis for the new
state. To this purpose he raised eight billion
dollars. Unlike other idealists, he invested
several millions of his own money in the
greenhouses left behind by the settlers, hoping
to turn them into the basis of the Palestinian economy.

He stood at Condoleezza Rice's side during the
signing ceremony for the document that was to
prepare the way to a brilliant future: the
agreement for the opening of the border
crossings. The crossings between the Strip and
Israel were to be again wide open, Israel
undertook to fulfill at long last the obligation
it took upon itself in the Oslo agreement (and
has violated ever since): to open the vital
passage between Gaza and the West Bank. On the
border between the Strip and Egypt, a European unit was already taking control.

And then the whole edifice collapsed. The passage
between the Strip and the West Bank remained
hermetically sealed. The other border crossings
were closed more and more frequently. The
products of the greenhouses (together with
Wolfensohn's investment) went down the drain. The
frail economy of the Strip disintegrated
altogether, most of the 1.4 million inhabitants
descended into misery, with 50% and more
unemployment. The inevitable result was the ascent of Hamas.

Wolfensohn's complaint stresses the immense
importance of the border crossings. Their closure
- ostensibly for security reasons - spelled death
to the Gaza economy, and, by extension, to the
hope for peaceful relations between Israel and
the Palestinians. Before the Hamas victory,
Wolfensohn saw with his own eyes the awful
corruption that governed the crossings. Relations
between Israelis and Palestinians there were
openly based on bribery. The Palestinian products
could not cross without payment being made to the
people in control on both sides.

Wolfensohn lays at least some of the
responsibility for the ascent of Hamas on the
Palestinian Authority - meaning Fatah - who were
infected by the cancer of corruption. The victory
of Hamas in the democratic elections both in the
West Bank and the Gaza Strip did not surprise him at all.

WHAT CAUSED this idealistic person to resign?

He puts the main blame on one person, who belongs
to the clique of Wolfowiz: Elliott Abrams. Like
Wolfowitz, Abrams is a Jew, a neo-con, a radical
Zionist beloved by the Israeli Right. He was
appointed by President Bush as deputy advisor for
national security, responsible for the Middle
East. With this appointment, Wolfensohn says,
"all the elements of the agreement achieved by
Condoleezza Rice were destroyed". The passages were closed, Hamas took over.

Wolfensohn accuses Abrams openly of undermining
him, in order to get him out. True, the Quartet
is not under the authority of Abrams, but a
person in this position cannot function without
solid American support. Abrams pushed him out in
cooperation with Ehud Olmert and Dov Weisglass,
Sharon's confidant, whose plans were menaced by
Wolfensohn's activity. It was Weisglass, it will
be remembered, who promised to "put the Palestinian issue in formaldehyde."

In the eyes of Wolfensohn, both sides are to
blame for the current situation, but he clearly
blames Israel more, since it is the stronger and
more active party. No doubt, Israel is very
important for him. He had a lot of sympathy for
it (In World War I, his father was a soldier in
the Jewish battalions which were set up by the
British army and sent to Palestine.) He gave the
interview to the Israeli paper in order to voice
a severe warning: time is not working for us. The
demographic clock is ticking. Today, Israel is
surrounded by some 350 million Arabs. In another
15 years, it will be surrounded by 700 million.
"I don't see any argument that supports the idea
the Israel's situation will get better."

As an expert on the global economy, with a
world-wide perspective, Wolfensohn could also
point out that the importance of the US in the
world economy is gradually declining, with new
giants like China and India rising.

We, the Israelis, like to think that we are the
center of the world. Wolfensohn, a person with a
world-wide outreach, sticks a pin into this
egocentric balloon. Already now, he says, only
the West considers the Israeli-Palestinian issue
so important. Most of the world is indifferent.
"I have visited more than 140 countries: you are not such a big deal there."

Even this limited interest will also evaporate.
Wolfensohn rubs salt into the wound: "A moment
will come when the Israelis and the Palestinians
will be compelled to understand that they are a
secondary performance
 The Israelis and the
Palestinians must get rid of the idea that they
are a Broadway performance. They are only a play
in the Village. Off-off-off-off-off Broadway."
Knowing that this is the worst one can tell an
Israeli, he adds: "I hope that I am not getting
into trouble by saying this, but, what the hell,
that's what I believe, and I am already 73 years old."

I do believe him - and I, what the hell, am already 83.

THE METAPHOR from the world of theater looks to
me even more apt that Wolfensohn himself imagines.

What is happening now to the Israeli-Palestinian
conflict is mostly theater, and not the best in town.

The actors drink from empty glasses, recite texts
that nobody believes, put on false smiles and
embrace heartily while loathing each other.

The best scene so far was the Gaza "separation".
Contrary to Wolfensohn's belief, it was merely a
performance, melodrama at its best, directed by
Sharon and the chiefs of the settlers, the army
and the police. Many tears, many embraces, many
sham battles. This week the performance was again
in the media, with a huge propaganda machine
trying to show how immense was the pain, how the
poor evacuees have remained without villas, how
many more billions will still be needed. The
intended conclusion: it is impossible to
dismantle the settlements in the West Bank.

The new actor on the stage, Tony Blair, is
exuding charm and joviality, embracing and
kissing. We, the audience, know that his lot will
be exactly like that of his predecessor. Like
him, he is the "special envoy of the Quartet".
His terms of reference are exactly the same as
those of Wolfensohn before him: much of nothing.
He is supposed to help the Palestinians to build
"democratic institutions", after the US and
Israel have systematically destroyed the
democratic institutions that were set up after the last Palestinian elections.

He has embraced Olmert, kissed Tzipi Livni,
smiled at Ehud Barak, and we know that all three
of them will do their utmost to disrupt his
mission before he reaches a position that would
enable him to realize his real dream: to conduct
peace negotiations, as he successfully did in Northern Ireland.

All that is happening now is theater. Olmert
pretends that he really wants to "save Abu
Mazen", while doing the opposite. At Bush's
request, he allowed the transfer of a thousand
rifles, with a lot of fanfare, from Jordan to
Abbas, so he can fight Hamas - understanding full
well that to an ordinary Palestinian this will
look like collaboration with the occupier against
the resistance. He enlarges the settlements,
keeps the "illegal outposts" and closes his eyes
while the army is helping the settlers to put up
more outposts. That is a foolproof recipe for a
Hamas takeover in the West Bank, too.

Everybody knows that there is only one way to
strengthen Abu Mazen: immediately to start rapid
and practical negotiations for the establishment
of the State of Palestine in all the occupied
territories, with its capital in East Jerusalem.
Not more discussions about abstract ideas, as
proposed by Olmert, not another plan (No. 1001),
not a "peace process" that will lead to "new
political horizons", and certainly not another
hollow fantasy of that grand master of
sanctimonious hypocrisy, President Shimon Peres.

THE NEXT scene of the play, for which all the
actors are now learning their lines, is the
"international meeting" this autumn, according to
the screenplay by President Bush. Condoleezza
will chair, and it is doubtful whether Tony, the
new actor, will be allowed to take part. The
playwrights are still deliberating.

If all the world is a stage, as Shakespeare
wrote, and all the men and women merely players
who have their exits and their entrances, that is
true even more for Israel and Palestine. Sharon
exited and Olmert entered, Wolfensohn exited and
Blair entered, and everything is, as Sakespeare
wrote in another play, "words, words, words."

Wolfensohn can view the next parts of the play
with philosophical detachment. We, who are
involved, cannot afford that, because our comedy is really a tragedy.

Uri Avnery's Column at Gush Shalom

http://zope.gush-shalom.org/home/en/channels/avnery/1185656870/

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit
     Center for Encounter and active Non-Violence
     Wolfgangerstr. 26, A-4820 Bad Ischl, Austria,
     fon: +43 6132 24590, Informationen/ informations,
     Impressum in: http://www.begegnungszentrum.at
Spenden-Konto Nr. 0600-970305 (Blz. 20314)
Sparkasse Bad Ischl, Geschäftsstelle Pfandl
IBAN: AT922031400600970305    BIC: SKBIAT21XXX