[E-rundbrief] Info 569 - Vanunu again in Israels prison?

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
So Jul 8 17:13:40 CEST 2007

E-Rundbrief - Info 569 - Gideon Spiro (The
Israeli Committee for a Middle East Free from
Atomic Biological and Chemical Weapons): Vanunu.
Mordechai Vanunu, Alternative Nobelprize laureate
and expert on Israels nuclear weapons was
condemned to another 6 months prison because of journalist-contacts.

Bad Ischl, 8.7.2007

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Vanunu

by Gideon Spiro

Occupation magazine - Other news

 From an email to friends of The Israeli
Committee for a Middle East Free from Atomic Biological and Chemical Weapons.

(...) I was yesterday with Mordechai in the court
when the verdict was given - 6 month in prison.
Before the court session started Mordechai`s
guess was that the judge will send him to prison,
while the lawyers guess was suspended sentence.
My guess was in between 50 / 50. Mordechai was right.

When it comes to what is called `security issues`
the chance to get a fair trial drop to zero. The
court becomes a slave to the state.

This court ruling is especially disgusting,
repulsive. Mordechai was found guilty and sent to
prison not because he reveiled secrets, but
because he was talking to foreign journalists,
and by this violating an administrative order
given by one of the generals of the Israeli army.
I don`t have to elaborate in which tyrannical
regimes generals decides about the rights of
civilian citizens.

The state of Israel continues to harass
Mordechai. His basic civil liberties are abused.

Amnesty in London already condemned the verdict,
called for his immediate release and declared him a prisoner of conscience.

According to the court ruling (remember the name
of the judge - Yoel Zur) the prison sentence
starts at 10 September 2007 unless there is an
appeal to the district court, which means that
the sentence will be postponed until the end of the proceeding.

The lawyers, Avigdor Feldman and Michael Sfard,
will consult with Mordechai whether to appeal or
give it up and start the prison sentence even earlier.

Once there is a decision we will let you know.

In the meantime try to mobilize as much as
possible protest from individuals and
organization and if possible also governments and
senior political figures. The demand should be:
Full freedom for Mordecchi - cancel all his
restrictions and let him leave Israel.

Best regards,

spiro at bezeqint.net
http://www.kibush.co.il/show_file.asp?num=20958

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit
     Center for Encounter and active Non-Violence
     Wolfgangerstr. 26, A-4820 Bad Ischl, Austria,
     fon: +43 6132 24590, Informationen/ informations,
     Impressum in: http://www.begegnungszentrum.at
Spenden-Konto Nr. 0600-970305 (Blz. 20314)
Sparkasse Bad Ischl, Geschäftsstelle Pfandl
IBAN: AT922031400600970305    BIC: SKBIAT21XXX