[E-rundbrief] Info 535 - Cities Are Not Targets project

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Fr Apr 27 22:28:42 CEST 2007

E-Rundbrief - Info 535 - Hiroshima Peace Culture
Foundation/ Mayors for Peace: Cities Are Not
Targets (CANT) project Petition Drive. Please
tell the nuclear powers that Cities Are Not Targets!

Bad Ischl, 27.4.2007

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Cities Are Not Targets (CANT) project Petition Drive

Please tell the nuclear powers that Cities Are Not Targets!

Hiroshima Peace Culture Foundation

Mayors for Peace calls cities together to build a nuclear-weapon-free world.

Since our experience of the atomic bombing 62
years ago, Hiroshima has continually called for
the abolition of nuclear weapons and realization
of lasting world peace.  Despite our efforts,
many areas around the world remain trapped in
chains of hatred, violence and retaliation, our
planet still bristles with vast arsenals of
nuclear weapons, and the probability that such
weapons will be used is increasing.

NGO over which we preside that now has 1,578
member cities in 120 countries and regions, is
conducting an emergency campaign to eliminate all
nuclear weapons by 2020 globally.  This is our 2020 Vision Campaign.

The year 2006 was the 10th anniversary of the
International Court of Justice advisory opinion
that, ”The threat or use of nuclear weapons would
generally be contrary to the rules of
international law applicable in armed conflict,
and in particular the principles and rules of
humanitarian law.”  Mayors for Peace marked this
landmark finding by launching Phase II of our
2020 Vision Campaign.  The centerpiece of this
phase is the Good Faith Challenge, a program for
demanding that all governments abide by the other
ICJ finding that, ”There exists an obligation to
pursue in good faith and bring to a conclusion
negotiations leading to nuclear disarmament in
all its aspects under strict and effective
international control.”  As a further
contribution by cities, we have also initiated a
Cities Are Not Targets (CANT) project to demand
assurances from nuclear weapon states that no
cities are targeted for nuclear attack.

Please support the Cities Are Not Targets project.

Nuclear weapons are illegal, immoral devices
designed to obliterate entire cities.  Despite
the end of the Cold War, the danger of nuclear
weapons remains virtually unchanged.  We still
have thousands of nuclear warheads deployed and
ready to fire on warning.  At the push of a
button, nuclear-tipped missiles can be on their
way to a target city.  If such an event were to
take place, some city, home to children and
hundreds of thousands of innocent noncombatants,
would suffer utter devastation.

The Mayors for Peace project is designed to lift
the voices of cities and citizens to say,
”No!  You may not target cities.  You may not
target children.”  Through these activities, we
intend to bring to the attention of mayors,
citizens and national leaders the fact that
cities are, in fact, still being targeted for
annihilation and the International Court of
Justice has found this threat itself to be a war
crime.  Furthermore, we hope this project will
intensify our demand that the nuclear-weapon
states fulfill their promise to ”negotiate in
good faith” to abolish all nuclear weapons.

The goal of this project is not a shifting of
nuclear weapons away from cities but their total
elimination.  And, when we speak here of
”cities,” we refer not to a municipal entity of a
certain size but to any area in which children
and non-combatants are living routine daily lives.

Please participate in the petition drive
associated with this project.  Mayors for Peace
will deliver your message to the nuclear-weapon
states and to the United Nations.  Let all
peoples around the world come together and
bequeath to our children a genuinely peaceful world free from nuclear weapons!

(* Your name, address and other personal
information provided here will not be used for any other purpose.)

Please support this petition.

To express your support for our CANT project,
please print the petition, sign it, and send it
back to us by post or fax.  Your name, address
and other personal information provided will not be used for any other purpose.

Mayors for Peace Secretariat

c/o Hiroshima Peace Culture Foundation

1-5, Nakajima-cho, Naka-ku, Hiroshima 730-0811, Japan

Tel: +81-82-242-7821

Fax: +81-82-242-7452

Email: mayorcon [at] pcf.city.hiroshima.jp

http://www.2020visioncampaign.org

http://www.mayorsforpeace.org

30.4. - 11.5. WIEN: WILPF- project "Reaching
Critical Will" - NGOs participation at the
Preparatory Committee (PrepCom) for the NPT
Review Conference 2010 (Non-Proliferation Treaty
- on nuclear weapons). (Infos:
www.reachingcriticalwill.org/legal/npt/2007index.html)

Als einer der Delegierten von österreichischen
Friedensorganisationen werde ich an der Konferenz teilnehmen. Matthias Reichl

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit
     Center for Encounter and active Non-Violence
     Wolfgangerstr. 26, A-4820 Bad Ischl, Austria,
     fon: +43 6132 24590, Informationen/ informations,
     Impressum in: http://www.begegnungszentrum.at
Spenden-Konto Nr. 0600-970305 (Blz. 20314)
Sparkasse Bad Ischl, Geschäftsstelle Pfandl
IBAN: AT922031400600970305    BIC: SKBIAT21XXX