[E-rundbrief] Info 457 - RLA 2006 - Chico Whitaker (Brazil)

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Do Sep 28 17:23:20 CEST 2006

E-Rundbrief - Info 457 - Right Livelihood Foundation: 2006
(Stockholm): Right Livelihood Award/ 'Alternative Nobel Prize'
2006  - Honorary Award for Chico Whitaker Ferreira (Brazil). "
for a
lifetime's dedicated work for social justice that has strengthened
democracy in Brazil and helped give birth to the World Social Forum,
showing that 'another world is possible'"

Bad Ischl, 28.9.2006

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Right Livelihood Award 2006 - Honorary Award - ("Alternativer Nobelpreis")

www.rightlivelihood.org

Chico Whitaker (2006)

Brazil

"
for a lifetime's dedicated work for social justice that has
strengthened democracy in Brazil and helped give birth to the World
Social Forum, showing that 'another world is possible'"

Francisco ('Chico') Whitaker Ferreira is a Roman Catholic activist,
who has worked for democracy and against corruption throughout his
life, both at home and in exile. He is one of the key people behind
the burgeoning World Social Forum.

Early career and exile

Chico Whitaker was born in 1931 and received his diploma in
architecture and urban planning in 1957. He left architecture school
to participate in research on the standard of living of the
inhabitants of São Paulo at the Research Institute SAGMACS. Whitaker
joined the Planning Office of the State Government of São Paulo and
became, in 1963, the director of planning for the Federal
Government's Land Reform Superintendence, SUPRA. He left this
function with the military coup in 1964, joining the opposition to
the regime. During 1965-66 he could still work in Brazil, as planning
advisor of the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB). But
at the end of 1966 the military forced him into exile with his wife
Stella and their four children.

During 15 years abroad, Whitaker initially lived in France, where he
worked as a teacher in the training of Third World public servants,
as researcher and as UNESCO consultant. He also worked in Chile for
the UN Economic Commission for Latin America for four years, and
lived through the overthrow of Allende. When returning to France
after his stay in Chile, he coordinated in Paris, during six years,
the "International Study Days for a Society overcoming Domination",
launched by the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops with the
support of four other Bishops Conferences and the International
Commission of Jurists. This project facilitated the exchange of
experiences among people fighting in 100 countries against all types
of oppression.

Work for democracy and against corruption in Brazil

Back in Brazil from 1982, Whitaker first worked as political and
social affairs advisor to Cardinal Evaristo Arns in São Paulo. He was
one of the founders of the São Paulo Association for Solidarity in
Unemployment and, always with his wife, was one of the main activists
in organising the popular participation process during the drafting
of the Brazilian constitution: The "Plenaries for popular
participation", created all over the country for this purpose,
presented 122 amendments to the Constitution project, with 12 million
citizen signatures.

 From 1989 to 1996, Whitaker was elected twice as local councillor in
São Paulo for the Brazilian Workers' Party (PT). In 1996 he left this
function to return to work with civil society. He remained a member
of the PT until early 2006, resigning when he considered the party
was no more faithful to the principles of its foundation.

As Executive Secretary to the CNBB's Commission of Justice and Peace
(CBJP) Whitaker both conceived the idea, and was instrumental in the
implementation, of a Bill of Popular Initiative: One million
signatures were collected against electoral corruption, and
particularly the purchase of votes. The Bill was approved by Congress
in 1999. Whitaker sits as the CBJP's representative on the National
Committee of the Movement Against Electoral Corruption, created after
the approval of the Bill, which involves more than twenty of the
major national civil society organisations in Brazil. The Bill has
already had great impact: Since the first election respecting it, in
2000, more than 400 mayors, deputies and councillors, who were found
to have been involved in electoral corruption, have lost their mandates.
The World Social Forum

In 2000 Whitaker was one of those who conceived the idea of the World
Social Forum (WSF) and played a key role in bringing it to
realisation. The idea was to hold a large conference event, a
parallel to the World Economic Forum in Davos, to share the various
insights of those from around the world who were working for
alternatives to "world domination by capital, within the parameters
of neoliberalism." The slogan was 'Another World is Possible'. The
idea was taken forward by eight leading Brazilian organisations,
operating by consensus.

The first World Social Forum was held in 2001 in the city of Porto
Alegre in Brazil, attracting 4,000 delegates and 16,000 individual
participants from many countries - far more than the organisers had
anticipated. People came from Porto Alegre and other places in Brazil
and neighbouring countries, as well as from Europe, North America,
Asia and Africa. It was such a success, that a second event was held
in 2002, attended by 15,000 delegates representing 4,909
organisations and movements in 131 countries, with another 35,000
'non-delegate' participants. During 2002 several regional or national
forums were organised in all continents, and a World Social Forum
took place again in Porto Alegre in 2003, with 100,000 participants.
That year also saw the first Asian Social Forum being organised in
Hyderabad. In January 2004, the WSF itself moved to Mumbai, and
attracted 120,000 to take part. In 2005 the WSF was back in Porto
Alegre, with 150,000 participants, and in 2006 was decentralised in
three regions of the world: Mali, Caracas and Karachi. The 2007 WSF
will be in Nairobi.

 From the beginning, the Forums have been much more than just meeting
places. They have become platforms for civil society organisations
from all around the world to exchange views, form coalitions, work on
concrete strategies and coordinate campaigns.

The success is explained by Whitaker by the principles adopted to
organise the Forums: horizontality, non-directivity, respect of
diversity, no spokespersons, no final document or orientations,
self-organisation of the participants' activities in the forums.
These were defined in 2001 after the success of the first Forum, in a
Charter of Principles, which is now the sole criterion for
participating in the Forum events. It provides for anyone to take
part, except government representatives, military organisations and
political parties.

Quotes: