[E-rundbrief] Info 436 - Lebanon/ Palestine-war - Appeal to UN-Security Council

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Mo Aug 7 18:25:23 CEST 2006

E-Rundbrief - Info 436 - Matthias Reichl: Appeal to the UN-Security
Council for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire and the stop of
Israel's aggression against Palestina and Lebanon.

Bad Ischl, 7.8.2006

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Dear Member of the UN-Security Council,

By joining the following appeal for an immediate and unconditional
ceasefire and the stop of Israel's aggression against Palestina and
Lebanon we ask you urgently to recognize irreversible threats not
only to the Middle-East-region but also to the whole world:

1. The use of (US- and Israeli-) bombs and shells including Depleted
Uranium (DU) in Palestine and Lebanon is contaminating with 238U not
only the targets but also the whole region and finally the whole
world. As it was caused by the wars in Iraq and former Yugoslavia,
the radioactive nano-particles and aerosols are already spread via
the atomosphere worldwide. Experts like Erich J. Sternglass, Doug
Rokke have documented the deadly consequences of this (low level)
radiation. We urge You to condemn the use of such and similar weapons totally.

2. The oil spill along the coast of Lebanon caused by Israels's
bombing of oil-tanks will destroy or endanger the marine life (and
fishery) in the Eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea (see reports by
Lebanese authorities and Greenpeace). Other bombings of chemical
manufactories and similar dangerous sites cause also health dangers
and environmental damages.

Both types of "collateral war-damages" cause irreversible damages for
decades and even a unimaginable time-period. (The 238U has a
"half-lifetime" of 4,5 Billion years!) So, even a cease-fire and
peace-treaties cannot eliminate these severe threats to human beings,
animals and nature.

Therefor we demand from You the following:

We urge you to demand  that Israel agrees to an immediate and
unconditional ceasefire that has been persistently demanded by
Lebanon and Palestine.

Israel blatantly has no limits in exercising its inhumanity and
criminal acts of war against Palestinian and Lebanese civilians

Sanctions should be imposed on Israel for its daily savage strikes on
Palestine and its invasion of Lebanon that far exceed Saddam
Hussain's 1990 military operations in Kuwait. Israeli leaders should
be charged with war crimes.

It is heartbreaking for decent people to watch on the news the
desperation, grief and trauma that Palestinian and Lebanese families
suffer. We look to the Security Council to fulfil the conditions of
the United Nations Charter forthwith in relation to protecting the
peoples of  Palestine and Lebanon.

It should also concern you that the Security Council's delay and
ineffectiveness to act responsibly to end these hostilities reveals
to the world a potential redundancy that neatly aligns with the USA's
call  to dismantle the United Nations. In fact, Israel's precise
targeting of the UN position in Lebanon resulting in the deaths of UN
personnel endorses the USA/Israel complete lack of regard for the
United Nations and reinforces the US aspirations for unhindered
power. The repeated US obstruction of peace for Palestinian and
Lebanese civilians in the Security Council should also hasten the
implementation of the  Security Council reforms especially on the
power of the veto.

Once again, on humanitarian grounds we ask You to deal with the
matter of  the ceasefire urgently and vigorously, but also the urgent
problems mentioned in points 1 and 2 above.

Sincerely

Matthias Reichl

Pressesprecher/ press speaker,

Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

Center for Encounter and active Non-Violence

Bad Ischl, Austria

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit
     Center for Encounter and active Non-Violence
     Wolfgangerstr. 26, A-4820 Bad Ischl, Austria,
     fon: +43 6132 24590, Informationen/ informations,
     Impressum in: http://www.begegnungszentrum.at
Spenden-Konto Nr. 0600-970305 (Blz. 20314) Sparkasse Bad Ischl,
Geschäftsstelle Pfandl
IBAN: AT922031400600970305    BIC: SKBIAT21XXX