[E-rundbrief] Info 374 - Protest gegen EPR-Reaktor

Matthias Reichl info at begegnungszentrum.at
Di Mär 28 14:17:33 CEST 2006

E-Rundbrief - Info 374:  Stopp-EPR (Frankreich): Proteste gegen das
französische Atomprogramm - EPR-Reaktor Cherbourg. Ja zu Energiealternativen.

Bad Ischl, 28.3.2006

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

To individuals, NGOs, groups, trade unions, political parties and
personalities (scientists, artists, politicians...)

Please, sign the international Call below against the french nuclear
reactor EPR.

Hundreds of organisations already did it in 35 countries, all over the world.

Sign here : http://www.stop-epr.org/comment-eng.php

List of the signatories at : http://www.stop-epr.org/signataires-eng.php

International Call

No to nuclear reactor EPR, Yes to energy alternatives

Despite a huge nuclear overcapacity and even though it is becoming
urgent to develop a new energy consumption management and invest in
renewable energy, the French Government has asked EDF to build a new
nuclear reactor, EPR (European Pressurized Reactor), in Flamanville
(Manche/ Normandy). The French nuclear energy lobby is trying to
brush aside any type of alternative by presenting the public with a
fait accompli and by imposing the substitution of existing capacities
for EPRs (European Pressurized Reactor) in the future.

However, it is obvious that choosing EPR is a wrong decision from all aspects :

         Energy : France doesn't need a big centralized electrical
production capacity for the next decades. Nuclear energy represents
only 15% of French final energy consumption and 3% of the world's. It
is not a solution to reverse climate change either.

         Economy : this extremely expensive project (billions of
euros) will delay the necessary redeployment of the French industry
without addressing its difficulties.

         Social aspects : the increasing demand for renewable energy
will help create many more jobs (up to 5 times more) and will be more
adapted to the future than nuclear energy. For the same investment, a
wind power program would lead to twice the amount of electricity
production, for instance.

     Environment : EPR is not providing any response to the safety,
security and waste management problems which will burden future generations.

Because we refuse the perpetuation of nuclear threat on the planet ;

Because we deny the French nuclear lobby the right to impose a new reactor

on us (French people and the rest of the world) ;

Because we reject the confusion between state service to the public
("service public d'état") and lobbying ;

Because we know this useless investment will end up as a burden on
consumers and future generations in France and elsewhere;

Because we want a future made of clean and renewable energies ;

Together, let's say NO to the EPR !

We sign the Call against the nuclear reactor EPR and we join for the
Cherbourg anti-EPR rally of April 15th - 16th, 2006 . This rally will
also be an opportunity to commemorate the Chernobyl 20th anniversary together.

Send your signature quickly : http://www.stop-epr.org/comment-eng.php

---

  Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit
     Center for Encounter and active Non-Violence
     Wolfgangerstr. 26, A-4820 Bad Ischl, Austria,
     fon: +43 6132 24590, Informationen/ informations,
     Impressum in: http://www.begegnungszentrum.at
Spenden-Konto Nr. 0600-970305 (Blz. 20314) Sparkasse Bad Ischl,
Geschäftsstelle Pfandl
IBAN: AT922031400600970305    BIC: SKBIAT21XXX