[E-rundbrief] Info 348 - Palestinian Elections Results Comments

Matthias Reichl mareichl at ping.at
Fr Jan 27 21:11:22 CET 2006

E-Rundbrief - Info 348: Gush Shalom/ Adam Keller/ Uri Avnery (Israel):  We
must talk with Hamas; they also can be partners. Noah Salameh (Bethlehem/
Palestine): The Palestinian Elections.

Bad Ischl, 27.1.2006

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Gush Shalom press release, Jan. 26, 2006

-We must talk with Hamas; they also can be partners

-The crucial choice: deterioration and ever more bloodshed or the opening
towards a firm peace of which Hamas is part.

-The choice depends both on Hamas and on Israeli government

The government of Israel had dozens and even hundreds of opportunities to
negotiate with Fatah and Abu Mazen, and it persistently avoided all of
them. But, it is no use crying over spilled milk.

The Palestinian people managed to hold fair, democratic elections under
international supervision, in spite of the hard conditions of living under
a regime of occupation and oppression, and the Israeli military raids which
continued until the election day itself.

The parliament elected in these elections, and the cabinet which will get
the confidence of the parliament will be the representatives of the
Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem - authorized
to represent them in any negotiations - just like the Knesset and the
government of Israel represent the Israeli people.

The Hamas victory carries both great risk and enormous chance - for both
peoples. On the one hand, there is now a real danger of cutting off all
contact and relation between the two sides, leading to chaos and increased
bloodshed. On the other hand, there is also a historical chance to achieve
peace, a more firm peace of which the Hamas - with its leaders, supporters
and voters - will be full partners. The choice which of these possibilities
will materialize depends on the decisions taken by the Hamas leadership in
the coming days and weeks - but at least as much by the decision taken by
the government of Israel.

The State of Israel has conducted negotiations with the PLO long before its
Covenant was officially abolished, not did it wait for its abolition before
signing an agreement with the PLO and starting implementation on the
ground. The very holding of negotiations has rendered the Covenant
meaningless. The same is true for the Hamas Covenant: the holding of talks
between a Hamas-led government and the State of Israel will constitute
mutual recognition - by the Hamas movement of the existence of Israel and
by Israel of the Palestinian government also when formed by the Hamas.

Adam Keller +972-3-5565804
Uri Avnery  +97250-5306440
www.gush.shalom-org

The Palestinian Elections

The results of the Palestinian elections cause a fundamental change to the
Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

I'm trying to look back and understand why the Palestinian people reacted
and voted for Hamas, also those who have not been Hamas supporters before.

Fateh has been ruling the Palestinian people since the Oslo Agreement in
1994. Fateh selected the negotiation track and accepted the Oslo agreement
and also the Road Map. This is on the political side. As Palestinians, our
people are very disappointed from the achievement of the negotiations. I
think that Palestinians gave too much support to Abu Mazen in the
presidential election. After the elections we did not get the hoped for
improvements in our lives - reducing the checkpoints, improving the
economic situation, or fighting corruption.

So the weakness of Abu Mazen and the lack of support from the USA and the
EU in the negotiations played a strong element in the Palestinian elections.

I think that the interference of the American money in the elections hurt
what the American Consulate called "support for the democratic political
organization".

This is what we call 'you love someone until you kill him/her'.

Also I think that the money from the US supported the elites who already
have money but lack credibility in the public.

So I think that everyone involved in this conflict and interested in peace
has to evaluate the recent period and reconsider their policy and actions.

I think that the Palestinian vote is a protest against the negotiation
process, which lasted all these years without managing to open one
checkpoint or cancel the British Emergency Laws, which rule since 1945, or
have an impact on the corruption in the Palestinian Authority.

Peace is not just an agreement, it is changing the life of people, it is
giving our children hope, it is ending the occupation, and it is stopping
using double measures from the democratic worlds.

We  the Palestinian peace movement  will continue to struggle by nonviolent
means against the occupation, the corruption and raise hope for the future
of the children in Palestine and the world.

It is difficult to be optimistic in this time, but we have to work hard if
we want peace based on justice, respect, equality and reconciliation.

Noah Salameh

Director

The Center for Conflict Resolution & Reconciliation - CCRR

P.O.Box. 861

Bethlehem - Palestine

Tel. +972-2-276 7745

Fax. +972-2-274 5475

E-mail: mediap(at)ccrr-pal.org

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit
     Center for Encounter and active Non-Violence
     Wolfgangerstr. 26, A-4820 Bad Ischl, Austria,
     fon: +43 6132 24590, Informationen/ informations,
     Impressum in: http://www.begegnungszentrum.at
Spenden-Konto Nr. 0600-970305 (Blz. 20314) Sparkasse Bad Ischl,
Geschäftsstelle Pfandl
IBAN: AT922031400600970305    BIC: SKBIAT21XXX