[E-rundbrief] Info 304 - V�a Campesina against WTO-ministerial

Matthias Reichl mareichl at ping.at
So Okt 30 17:38:32 CET 2005

E-Rundbrief - Info 304:  Vía Campesina prepares road from Geneva to Hong
Kong (WTO-ministerial). The hurdles to participate in the meeting with Mr.
Lamy within a context of ongoing exclusion of the social movements. Press
Releases, Jakarta, October 28, 2005.

Bad Ischl, 30.10.2005

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Vía Campesina prepares road from Geneva to Hong Kong

Press Release, Jakarta, October 28, 2005

Via Campesina delegates from around the world gathered in Geneva last week
to prepare their action plan for the WTO ministerial in Hong Kong.

CPE/Via Campesina farmers from Europe, along with Via Campesina delegates
from Mexico, Haiti, Korea, Brazil, Mali, Nepal and the United States met in
Geneva to confront WTO officials with our message and to prepare for their
December farmer and peasant mobilization in Hong Kong during the WTO
ministerial meeting.

Alberto Gomez from UNORCA in Mexico explained: "It's urgent to inform the
members of our farmers' organizations about the necessity to continue to
prepare our forces to stop the WTO. We the farmers and rural workers, men
and women, are essential to society, because it is our work and our
families, and the accumulated knowledge that we transmit from generation to
generation that helps get the crops harvested and the food to everyone's
table. This will allow us to defeat the WTO in 2005."

Young Soo Lee from the Korean Peasants League (KPL) said: "Food and
agriculture are more important than industrial products such as
automobiles. Without industrial products, we are inconvenienced but we will
not die. But people can not survive without food. Food and agriculture are
our lives. We cannot trade away our lives. The WTO killed Korean farmer Lee
Kyung Hae in Cancun and now it is killing many farmers across the world. We
send a strong warning message: if the WTO will not respond to our
legitimate voice, WTO will face a strong fight in Hong Kong, and in that
case all responsibility will go to the WTO and Mr. Lamy for not listening
to our voices. WTO kills farmers ! WTO out of agriculture !"

"Ten years of WTO has brought us increased economically-forced migration, a
degraded environment, and an even larger gap between the rich and
poor."  said Ingeborg Tangeraas of the Via Campesina International
Co-ordinating Committee, who called for an analysis of the impacts of
global trade under the WTO. "The powerful countries in the WTO are trying
to use agriculture as a weapon to force smaller countries to open their
markets, not only in agriculture but also for other goods as well as
servicesincluding privatizing healthcare and education. Via Campesina
supports the right of countries - like those in the G90 - to say no to
deals that would hurt their people.

Via Campesina is a legitimate voice world wide of small farmers, indigenous
peasants, and migrant rural workers. Food sovereignty should be the key
principle for agricultural policies and the WTO should get out of food,
agriculture, fisheries, public services and other essential public goods.We
will continue fighting against the disastrous agricultural politics of the
economically powerful countries, to stop the dumping of agricultural
products, to achieve real agrarian reform, and for food and agriculture
free from genetically modified organisms.

The hurdles to participate in the meeting with Mr. Lamy within a context of
ongoing exclusion of the social movements

Press release, Geneva, 28-10-2005

La Via Campesina, as an international peasant movement together with other
social movements, articulates struggles and fights for changes that improve
the livelihoods of peasants, landless, urban poor and other marginalised
groups. In this struggle to increase pressure on governments and
international institutions for change, to be heard and to bring our message
to those responsible, we face a structural exclusion and marginali-sation.
This exclusion expresses itself, among others, in "administrative" hurdles
that concretely lead to the exclusion of meetings with officials, the
instrumentalisation of a "dialogue" or  "multistakeholder dialogues" with
certain actors of civil society in order to legitimise their policies or to
engage organisations in lengthy, energy consuming "consultations" that do
not lead to any real change.

In an increasingly aggressive neo-liberal context, tensions are increasing
and social movements are continually facing these mechanisms of exclusion.
For La Via campesina and other movements, however, it is crucial to
overcome this situation and to increase the visibility and impact of La Via
campesina's message on those who drive the implementation of the
neo-liberal policies. As social movements emerge, occupy their own
political space and address their structural exclusion, the role of NGO's
will also need to change. These changes sometimes lead to tensions and La
Via Campesina is committed to address this through a "constructive
dialogue" in order to come to mutually re-enforce strategies with NGO's
with whom we share long term goals.

In the meeting with Mr. Pascal Lamy at the WTO premises on the 17th of
October in Geneva, La Via Campesina faced the inflexibility of the WTO that
had put an unnecessary limit on the total number of participants (15) that
could enter the building to participate in the talk. WTO even attempted in
a last minute effort to reduce this number to 7.

When arriving at the WTO premises, only one representative of La Via
Campesina from Norway was allowed to enter the building. It was impossible
for the representative from Korea, his translator and a representative from
the US to enter due to administrative hurdles put forward by WTO and
unfortunately conveyed to La Via Campesina by the NGO's that operate in
Geneva.

regarding this event, it erroneously targeted World Wildlife Fund and other
NGOs as part of the cause that led to the non-participation of the La Via
Campesina delegation.

At the same time the La Via Campesina delegation was disappointed by the
lack of spontaneous response by the NGO's present to a situation created by
the inflexibility of WTO. La Via Campesina did not immediately convey this,
thus increasing the tensions with the NGO's.

In an assessment of this event between several of the NGO's present in the
Mr. Lamy meeting and La Via campesina members it was concluded that
pressure must increase, as well as coordination with the NGO's, in order to
improve access for social movements to confront the WTO officials with
their messages.

La Via Campesina
International farmers movement
Movimiento campesino internacional
Mouvement paysan international
secretaria operativa/operative secretariat:
Jin. Mampang Prapatan XIV no 5
Jakarta Selatan,
Indonesia
Tel/fax: +62-21-7991890
Email: viacampesina at viacampesina.org

Matthias Reichl, Pressesprecher/ press speaker,
     Begegnungszentrum fuer aktive Gewaltlosigkeit
     Center for Encounter and active Non-Violence
     Wolfgangerstr. 26, A-4820 Bad Ischl, Austria,
     fon: +43 6132 24590, Informationen/ informations,
     Impressum in: http://www.begegnungszentrum.at
Spenden-Konto Nr. 0600-970305 (Blz. 20314) Sparkasse Bad Ischl,
Geschäftsstelle Pfandl
IBAN: AT922031400600970305    BIC: SKBIAT21XXX