[E-rundbrief] Info 235 - Militarisierung in Hawaii u. USA

Matthias Reichl mareichl at ping.at
Fr Mai 27 12:07:25 CEST 2005

E-Rundbrief - Info 235 -  Not In Our Name-Hawai`i (NION) Newsletter
25.5.2005: Resistance 2005 (gegen Bush) in Honolulu. Stop UARC (Honolulu,
Hawai'i): Gewaltfreie Proteste einer Bürgerinneninitiatve gegen die
Militarisierung der Universität Hawai'i durch die US-Navy und ihr Programm
UARC. Proteste gegen Soldatenrekrutierungen in US-Colleges. George Bush on
dog poo. (Siehe auch E-Rundbrief - Info 228 -  Stop UARC, Honolulu, Hawai'i)

Bad Ischl, 27.5.2005

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

www.begegnungszentrum.at

Not In Our Name-Hawai`i

Newsletter May 25, 2005

1. Saturday, July 2nd: Resistance 2005 at Thomas Square!
2. 100,000 faces project
3. What's Happening with the Stop UARC Campaign?
4. Anti-Recruitment campaign stepping up
5. George Bush on dog poo.

Resistance 2005: A Better World Is Possible!

On the first day of the Independence Day Weekend beat down Bush-induced
depression by participating in an act of real Independence - a Festival of
Resistance at Thomas Square! The right wing has proven that they can
organize their neo-conservatives and right-wing fundamentalist supporters.
It's way past time for us to come together and strengthen our movement for
peace and justice. Silence will not protect us!

NION-Hawai`i is calling on all organizations opposed to Bush's programme of
war and repression to set up a booth, have a display, organize a community
mural... If you're a member of an organization that is negatively effected
by Bush's policies, make sure your organization represents! Environmental
organizations, labor unions, peace and justice groups, glbt advocates,
women's organizations, homeless advocacy groups, progressive religious
groups, cultural clubs, science clubs. We're all being attacked by Bush's
right-wing, war-mongering agenda. Let's meet each other. Let's let the
community know who we are. And let's have fun at the same time!

Story-tellers, stiltwalkers, puppeteers, poets, drummers, performance
artists, live artists, jugglers, dancers, clowns: we need you to
participate! Let your creativity go wild. NION is setting up a single stage
and will have musicians, poets, and other special guests. But Thomas Square
if BIG and we have the whole park! Get your group together and appropriate
the shade of a tree to set yourself up. Or construct a game (how about a
Bush dunking booth?) Let us know how you'd like to participate. Just let us
know what you're doing. You can help plan the overall event by coming to
our thursday evening meetings (7-8:30 at The Friends Meeting House).

Contact us with your questions, your ideas, and your commitment. E-mail
nionhawaii at yahoo.com.

100,000 Faces Project

On July 2nd we'll be showing a portion of the 100,000 Faces Project and we
hope to have it completed by September! This is a reminder to clip pictures
of faces of Iraqi people from newspapers and magazines, or to download them
from the Internet. Pictures can be black and white or color, and of any
size. Glue them to a posterboard collage-style. Get your families, school
mates, and friends involved.

We've seen a few of the posters that have already been completed and know
that the finalized display will be powerful. 100,000 has been chosen
because that is the approximate number of Iraqi civilians that have been
killed since the US led war was launched in 2003. This project will help
remember them. But it will take hundreds of us to make this Project really
fully happen.

The Stop UARC Campaign

Our last newsletter provided NION's summation of the occupation. When the
occupation of Bachman Hall ended, the understanding that the protesters had
was that Interim President McClain had agreed to produce all documents
relating to negotiations between University of Hawaii (UH) and the Navy to
the Coalition within 10 days, that the administration would provide ongoing
information on any consultations regarding UARC that the UH administration
was involved with, and that the administration would not report to the
Board of Regents on UARC until the October meeting.

The Coalition attempted to set up a meeting with President McClain 10 days
after the occupation ended. McClain refused to meet with the group and did
not produce the promised documents. Instead he claimed "extenuating
circumstances" and said the documents would be produced at some undisclosed
time in the future, and that he would only meet with individuals from the
coalition, and not the coalition as a whole. He then proceeded to lock down
Bachman Hall. For the first time since Bachman Hall opened, visitors to
Bachman have to go to the back door and pass through formidable security.
Furthermore, the Coalition understands that UH has entered into an
agreement with the Sheriff's Department and HPD as to what "level of force"
they are authorized to use against Bachman protesters in the future. All of
these draconian measures because students and faculty demanded the
administration to carry out open and fair consultations on the increasing
militarization and th The StopUARC campaign has only just begun. Activists
will continue to monitor the administration throughout the summer, and will
continue to do outreach in the community to inform people about UARC (and
counter the lies that are being spread). It is anticipated that the real
show-down will be in October since McClain has made his intentions to
present UARC to the Board of Regents' October meeting. In the meantime, the
University is continuing to negotiate the terms of the contract with the
Navy as though UARC is going to happen, even in the absence of open and
fair consultation.

It is difficult to organize during the summer. The fact that the Coalition
was able to hold a very successful press conference with more than 20
participants on May 18th (when there were no classes) is a measure of the
commitment of the Coalition. And that many UH graduates wore the now
familiar large green signs saying "SAVE UH, STOP UARC" on their caps and
gowns at graduation was a strong indication to the administration that the
fight is far from over.

Not In Our Name-Hawai`i is firmly opposed to UARC and is working with the
StopUARC Coalition. We urge you to relate to the Coalition directly by
signing on to their newsletter (similar to NION's newsleter), and by
checking the Coalition's website regularly at http://www.stopuarc.info. To
receive a copy of the Stop UARC newsletter, please e-mail us asking to
receive it and we'll make sure you're on their e-list.

Anti-Recruitment Campaign/ GI Resistance

On Tuesday, May 10th, about 20 protesters lined Kapiolani Blvd in front of
the Marine and Army recruitment offices with signs reading "Support GI
Resistance", "Stop the War", "Support Pablo Paredes and Kevin Benderman",
"6,000 AWOL - the Real Heroes of the War" and waving the blue earth flags.
Police were there when protesters arrived, and within minutes more of their
big SUV's had pulled up on adjacent sidewalks and were blocking
pedestrians. The recruitment offices were locked down. Clearly worried!
There were similar actions across the U.S. the same day.

The following day, Pablo Paredes went to military trial for missing his
ship bound for the Persian Gulf. What happened in the trial was
unprecedented! One of Pablo's charges was dropped. The judge did not
sentence him to jail time. And, most importantly, an argument on the
legality of the war itself was allowed, and the judge found that a
reasonable person could believe that not only the war in Iraq, but the wars
in Afghanistan, Guantanamo and Yugoslavia, were unjust and illegal. AND the
judge ruled that a GI does not give up his right to dissent when he signs
up, and is free to exercise his first amendment rights. This is an
incredible finding that could have major consequences. The trial of Kevin
Benderman was continued. For an article by war resister Camilo Mejia on his
own case, as well as the status of Paredes' case, go to: Mejia.

And the anti-recruitment campaign is also heating up! We've all been
reading/hearing sob stories about how the military recruiters haven't been
meeting their quotas. Others have been run off of college campuses. Well,
it looks like it's getting worse for them. This past week high school
students at Garfield High School in Seattle were the first to tell military
recruiters to stay off their campus! A Reuters report follows:

Seattle high school seeks military recruiter ban
24 May 2005 23:44:28 GMT
Source: Reuters
By Linda Thomas

SEATTLE, May 24 (Reuters) - A high school in Seattle has become the first
in the United States to tell the military that it is no longer welcome on
campus because recruiters unfairly target poor inner-city teens to fight
the U.S. war on terror.

"Who goes to fight wars? It's not George Bush's kids or senators' kids or
Donald Rumsfeld's nieces and nephews," said Amy Hagopian, co-chairwoman of
the Parent Teacher Student Association, PTSA, at Garfield High School.

"It's poor kids who fight wars," Hagopian said.

Earlier in May, the PTSA passed a resolution that said: "Students should
not be harassed by military recruiters... The U.S. military should not
recruit in public schools."

Despite that, the school has no legal authority to keep recruiters off
campus. Under federal law, all school districts are required to release the
names and contact information of students to military recruiters.

The issue at Garfield High is part of a national debate as the military
struggles to replenish its numbers for the war on terror and the war in Iraq.

The U.S. Supreme Court said earlier this month it will consider whether the
government can withhold funding from colleges that bar military recruiters.

"We offer a lot in terms of skill training and money for furthering
education," said Douglas Smith, a spokesman for U.S. Army Recruiting
Command in Fort Knox, Kentucky. The United States has relied on an
all-volunteer military since the draft ended on July 1, 1973.

Garfield is an inner-city high school where one-third of the 1,600 students
are black in a city that is predominantly white and Asian.

On Monday, more than 100 high school and college students protested at
three military recruiting offices in Seattle.

The National PTA, based in Chicago, supports the Seattle parent-teacher
group's action. PTA President Linda Hodge said the resolution is a first
step toward "holding lawmakers accountable to their communities."

Hodge said she knew of no other PTA group in the country that had asked
military recruiters to stay away from school.

In September 2004, the Army had 6,128 recruiters. By the first week of May
this year, that number had risen to 7,545.

"One of the impediments to recruiting is the ongoing war on terrorism,"
Smith said. "With physical dangers and the risk of death, recruiters have
to spend more time and energy talking through what enlisting now holds for
an individual and their families."

George Bush on Dog Poo

There are a million jokes about GWB on the Internet, and we have a policy
against passing them on in our newsletter, but this one is real news from
Germany. Not big news, but added to bring a smile...

"Police in Germany are hunting pranksters who have been sticking miniature
flag portraits of US President George W. Bush into piles of dog poo in
public parks. Josef Oettl, parks administrator for Bayreuth, said: "This
has been going on for about a year now, and there must be 2,000 to 3,000
piles of excrement that have been claimed during that time."

The incidents were originally believed to be some sort of protest against
the US-led invasion of Iraq, but, when they continued, they were thought to
be a protest against President George W. Bush's campaign for re-election.
They're still going on, however, and the police say they are completely
baffled as to who is to blame. "We have sent out extra patrols to try to
catch whoever is doing this in the act," said police spokesman Reiner
Kuechler. "But frankly," he continued, "we don't know what we'd do if we
caught them red-handed."

Legal experts say there is no law against using feces as a flag stand and
the Federal Constitution is vague on the issue.

(Siehe auch E-Rundbrief - Info 228 -  Stop UARC, Honolulu, Hawai'i)

Matthias Reichl

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit

Wolfgangerstr.26

A-4820 Bad Ischl

Tel. +43-6132-24590

e-mail: mareichl at ping.at

http://www.begegnungszentrum.at

Konto Nr. 0600-970305 (Blz. 20314) Sparkasse Bad Ischl, Geschäftsstelle Pfandl

IBAN: AT922031400600970305    BIC: SKBIAT21XXX