[E-rundbrief] Info 77 - USA - Israeli Warfare Strategy in Iraq

Matthias Reichl mareichl at ping.at
So Jan 11 21:03:52 CET 2004

E-Rundbrief - Info 77 - USA transfers Israeli Urban Warfare Strategy to Iraq

Bad Ischl, 11.1.2004

Begegnungszentrum für aktive Gewaltlosigkeit
www.begegnungszentrum.at

"U.S. tactics now look like Israel's."

The practice of destroying buildings where Iraqi insurgents are suspected
of planning or mounting attacks has been used for decades by Israeli
soldiers in Gaza and the West Bank. The Israeli Army has also imprisoned
the relatives of suspected terrorists, in the hopes of pressing the
suspects to surrender.

Here's a classic quote: "With a heavy dose of fear and violence, and a lot
of money for projects, I think we can convince these people that we are
here to help them."

American officials say they are not purposefully mimicking Israeli tactics,
but they acknowledge that they have studied closely the Israeli experience
in urban fighting. Ahead of the war, Israeli defense experts briefed
American commanders on their experience in guerrilla and urban warfare. The
Americans say there are no Israeli military advisers helping the Americans
in Iraq.

Writing in the July issue of Army magazine, an American brigadier general
said American officers had recently traveled to Israel to hear about
lessons learned from recent fighting there.

Collective punishment is the practice of punishing entire families,
communities or groups for the act of an individual. It is illegal under
Article 33 of the 1949 Geneva Conventions, which states, "No protected
person may be punished for an offense he or she has not personally committed."

(Zitate aus den untenstehenden Berichten aus den USA.)